Iowa Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:

OT - thoughts on living in Iowa?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 11:15 PM
fellro86
Hotshot
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The winters here seem nice compared to some I dealt with in South Dakota, actual temps of -36 below, 3 day blizzards of the nature of Little House on the Prarie... made last winter seem easy... we have had it easy around here for a long time, but even so, realistically, while a pita, last winter wasn't all that bad, at least, compared to how it could have been. It would have been worse if it hadn't melted off like it did between storms.

Old 07-24-2008, 09:10 AM
Smokin'
Smokin
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Last year here in Denver we got a storm that left 3-4 FOOT of snow in the metro area just before Christmas. The whole city shut down for 3 or 4 days, and for weeks after, teh snow on the sidestreets was so bad, some people couldn't get to work.

Thanks for all the info you guys, I really appreciate it. All that's left now is to go visit and take a look around.

Old 07-25-2008, 04:08 AM
ididntdoit99
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I may be chiming in a little late.... but like these other guys have said, there are some great little towns around CR to live in. I definatley would never live IN cedar rapids, not my cup o' tea.
I'm about 50 miles north of CR, in the Waterloo area.

Old 07-25-2008, 03:14 PM
Sam_Fear
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by monsterbaby
Cold winters? what are you talking about? it's just a marginally cold spring day at worst LOL.

Of coarse when I moved here the HIGH temp in Laramie that week had been -17 so moving here WAS like moving south.
Yeah, I knew I was gonna hear about that! Didn't know how else to say it. I'm just not into winter weather, of any sort, anymore.

Old 07-25-2008, 03:38 PM
Smokin'
Smokin
Here is what a bad winter looks like:

Old 07-25-2008, 08:30 PM
fellro86
Hotshot
Looks kinda familiar... we get the occasional thunder snow too, get under one of those and can get the couple foot dumps out of them...

Old 07-25-2008, 10:08 PM
willeo6709
Elder User
Iowa can be a great place.. we see it all,, from 95 degrees with 95% humidity to 40 below.... you can see it all in a years time in Iowa. The CR/ Iowa city corridor is one of the fastest growing areas of the state....and there are some cool sights in the area. The snow is not usually a big deal, and we get a few ice storms a season it seems...sometimes some black ice as well. Nothing a colorado girl should be scared of tho. Keep us posted...ask anything you want. I am about 1 hour to the southeast of CR, that is if you drive like me...

Old 07-29-2008, 06:30 PM
pk8950
Junior User
I live in Solon just south of Mount Vernon. My daughter plays against Mount Vernon in all the sports, so I go that way alot, very nice town. I also have good friends that live their and they really like it. Alot of nice old houses and new ones. Plus 600 acres(ATV park) is just south of Mount Vernon.
Hope everything goes well.

Paul

Old 07-30-2008, 08:47 AM
Smokin'
Smokin
Originally Posted by pk8950
I live in Solon just south of Mount Vernon. My daughter plays against Mount Vernon in all the sports, so I go that way alot, very nice town. I also have good friends that live their and they really like it. Alot of nice old houses and new ones. Plus 600 acres(ATV park) is just south of Mount Vernon.
Hope everything goes well.

Paul
OooOooo...a quad park? As you can see, I'm not a quad person AT ALL:

You know, I might need a ridin buddy.

Well I am flying out for 4 days to see the area on August 8th. We're going to rent a house first, save a bit of money, make sure we like it there, and then try to buy. We're looking to rent a lil farm house just south of Iowa City. We think that might be the best option, my best chances for employment are in a college town such as that, and Randy will have a company vehicle...that is the plan for now. We'll see what happens. I'll letcha all know how it goes.

Old 07-30-2008, 10:34 AM
fellro86
Hotshot
You would have fun riding around our farm then.. here is one view from my deck:

This was taken in the fall, but is right next to my house.

And then, the back part of the farm.

There are plenty of back roads that are minimum maintenance, and such, where you can have fun riding... the locals just prefer that you don't tear up the roads too bad.

Old 07-30-2008, 11:09 AM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
There is also another place not that far from my place and about 115 from IC called make it or break it. Ron (wyldstallyn73) can give a lot more info on it but I know it's an old abandoned coal mine with a LOT of trails and rock climbing, mud pits etc that I am sure you would find a blast for a weekend outing.

I believe this video is from that park
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39ACaLqixXc

Edit: Ok I found their website for you

http://www.miobi.org/main.htm

Old 08-03-2008, 09:50 PM
farmb0y
Posting Guru

I'll offer to sell my place to you!
I'm a 30+ minute drive straight west of CR, looking to move back to the family farm here sometime soon and will be selling the acreage.

If you're going be in Iowa Aug. 8 and for a few days, you'll have to make a trip to Des Moines for the infamous Iowa State Fair!! There you'll see everything Iowa has to offer, the good, bad and the funny lookin' (I love people watching there!!)

Old 08-04-2008, 10:54 AM
Smokin'
Smokin
Originally Posted by farmb0y
I'll offer to sell my place to you!
I'm a 30+ minute drive straight west of CR, looking to move back to the family farm here sometime soon and will be selling the acreage.

If you're going be in Iowa Aug. 8 and for a few days, you'll have to make a trip to Des Moines for the infamous Iowa State Fair!! There you'll see everything Iowa has to offer, the good, bad and the funny lookin' (I love people watching there!!)
Actually we will be there the weekend of the 8th. We just may have to go to the fair, sounds like a blast actually.

What is your property like? We would be willing to take a look, but it'll be 8 mos to a year before we'll be ready to buy.

Old 08-05-2008, 10:38 AM
BURNSTOUGHFORD
Posting Guru
Cedar rapids also has a heck of a motocross track that draws some good quad racers. Its been a few years since i race there, but i did win a championship there in 03-04. So theres plenty to do there.

Old 08-05-2008, 10:48 AM
Smokin'
Smokin
Thanks Burns. I'm excited to go visit, and even excited for the road trip there just to see the countryside.

I checked the weather, looks like its supposed to be sunny and in the 80's and high 70's this Friday for my drive and all weekend. I'm super excited about that, it's been in the 100's here in Denver for the past MONTH.

Quick Reply: OT - thoughts on living in Iowa?