6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

About to take on a dealer...not sure what to expect.

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 10:02 AM
rjstcroix
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
About to take on a dealer...not sure what to expect.

Hey Guys,

I've been doing a lot of reading of this forum re:head gaskets. Sounds as though I've got the makings of this failure happening.

Here's the deal:
F250 6.0, '04 m/y, build date 08/03, warranty set to expire in October, just rolled 137000kms on odometer, I'm the 2nd owner of this rig. No mods, completely stock since new. (I know original owner, he's not a guy to mod things) Regular oil changes/service by yours truly as per owners manual.

Symptoms:
After approx. 30mins of operation from cold start an intermittent "tea kettle" whistle sound comes from under the hood, minor puking from degas bottle noticed. Haven't noticed the problem in recent weeks as I haven't refilled the bottle to allow it to puke out. No engine warnings/high temps as most of my operation is light duty with very little towing.

The noise lasts for approx 2-4 seconds intermittently about every 10-15 seconds and continues shortly after engine shut down until operating pressure subsides. This frequency and duration increase with greater engine load.

I've booked an appointment with a local dealer for a check next week. I hate to bring my truck into the dealer...I don't trust any of them. I've got some info to go with but would like some "heads-up" advice to be prepared in case they try to give me the run around.

Anything appreciated.

Keep on truckin',

Ron

Old 07-21-2008, 11:32 AM
tttario
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by rjstcroix
Hey Guys,

I've been doing a lot of reading of this forum re:head gaskets. Sounds as though I've got the makings of this failure happening.

Here's the deal:
F250 6.0, '04 m/y, build date 08/03, warranty set to expire in October, just rolled 137000kms on odometer, I'm the 2nd owner of this rig. No mods, completely stock since new. (I know original owner, he's not a guy to mod things) Regular oil changes/service by yours truly as per owners manual.

Symptoms:
After approx. 30mins of operation from cold start an intermittent "tea kettle" whistle sound comes from under the hood, minor puking from degas bottle noticed. Haven't noticed the problem in recent weeks as I haven't refilled the bottle to allow it to puke out. No engine warnings/high temps as most of my operation is light duty with very little towing.

The noise lasts for approx 2-4 seconds intermittently about every 10-15 seconds and continues shortly after engine shut down until operating pressure subsides. This frequency and duration increase with greater engine load.

I've booked an appointment with a local dealer for a check next week. I hate to bring my truck into the dealer...I don't trust any of them. I've got some info to go with but would like some "heads-up" advice to be prepared in case they try to give me the run around.

Anything appreciated.

Keep on truckin',

Ron
I just had the same symptoms and it was the head gaskets. There will be no problem as you are stock. I would suggest insisting on having them check the heads for flatness as well as I'm not sure if this is required of them. Also, if you got some spare change, see if they will install a set of ARP head studs for you.

Trev

Old 07-21-2008, 12:10 PM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Have you checked to make sure that you don't have a defective degass bottle cap?

Old 07-21-2008, 01:08 PM
Kep4
Jäger
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
If you don't have a coolant filter then it could be the Engine Oil Cooler is blocked. This EOC blockagewill overheat the EGR cooler and cause puking and high pressure in the coolant bottle. Eventually the EGR cooler splits at the seams.

As stated above by Trev, if it's the head gaskets then make darn sure they check the heads and block to ensure they are perfectly flat. That would also be an excellent time to add ARP head studs. Talk directly to the 6.0 Tech about ARP studs, not the Service Advisor!

Old 07-21-2008, 08:11 PM
larry schultz
Freshman User
137 k good kuck

Old 07-21-2008, 08:59 PM
fordboy2
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by larry schultz
137 k good kuck

It s 137000 kilometers which convers over to approx. 85000 miles.

Old 07-22-2008, 06:06 AM
rjstcroix
Freshman User
Degas cap is OK...checked...pressurizes fine. The service writer suggested I speak with the service manager re: ARP studs.

Service writer didn't see an issue but he's not the boss on warranty...I'll try getting the tech to chat at the same time I speak with the service manager.

Thanks.

Ron

Old 07-22-2008, 08:43 AM
counciller
Senior User
Has anyone had a dealer refuse a headstud install because of warranty concerns or had a warranty claim denied because of studs.

Old 07-22-2008, 10:19 AM
mxer0022
Cargo Master

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts
honestly i don't know why they ever would. if they would install studs in every headgasket job they did then they wouldn't have near the return rate that they do. of course you'll still get the occasional return due to the heads or deck not being true enough, but i would say that would only be like 10%. hell i don't know

Old 07-23-2008, 12:15 AM
paddler65
Senior User
i believe the warranty is 5 yrs or 100k. u r close to expiration on war. i hope i get an opportunity at end of my warranty. from every thing i read on this form get the studs. the locale dealer will do the stubs if u pay for them.
gene

Old 07-23-2008, 02:46 PM
doubledee715
Elder User
Originally Posted by counciller
Has anyone had a dealer refuse a headstud install because of warranty concerns or had a warranty claim denied because of studs.
I have read of both. so, yes.

Old 07-29-2008, 07:28 AM
rjstcroix
Freshman User
Hey Guys,

Brought the truck in this morning. Service writer said they can't promise that it'll get looked at today. I thought "Why take an appointment today?" I know things get backed up so I kept it myself.

Explained the issues:
-intermittent tea kettle noise after 20-30 mins from initial startup
-one brief instance of white smoke on start up
-vehicle has been experiencing hard start conditions intermitently
-minor coolant puking out of degas bottle/white residue
-haven't noticed the coolant puking lately since I haven't refilled the degas bottle to let it puke

The service manager and the diesel tech were not available this morning for a chat about the problems or installing ARP studs. They've got 2 diesel techs onsite but only one is on now while the other is on holiday. They'll be taking turns on holiday time until mid-August.

Today's appointment is for a diagnosis only.

Questions:
Is Ford required to provide a loaner vehicle while my truck is in for service?

If my warranty expires before all problems are corrected what recourse do I have? How are pre-exisiting conditions handled?

Thanks.

Anything appreciated.

Ron

Old 07-29-2008, 08:24 AM
rjstcroix
Freshman User
Just off the phone with service manager, he's towing the line re: ARP studs. He said that if they install them that it would void any remaining warranty coverage. I explained to him that these were superior to anything Ford provides. He's been trained to tell customers the manufacturer propaganda.

When I suggested the problem could be head gaskets he suggested that my symptoms could be indicative of an intercooler leak and that it is more common than head gaskets. When I asked if that was warranty covered he said he'd have to ask Ford rep. I left it at that since I didn't want to get his dander up.

I began to think if Intercooler is more common than head gaskets then he should immediately know whether or not it is warranty covered. If only because the problem is more common and he sounded as though he was speaking from experience. FYI: Intercooler is not specifically listed under warranty 5yr/160 coverage.

I may be just too paranoid from reading so much on this site but sounds like the beginnings of a screw job by the dealer.

They'll look at the truck tomorrow and let me know.

Anybody have anything to offer on the intercooler leak scenario?

Old 07-29-2008, 11:55 AM
mxer0022
Cargo Master

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts
from what i have read it sounds like you are getting the screws put to ya. and i have never read anything on an intercooler that is just leaking. it seems as though when they go the tanks blow off. after all they are plastic. hopefully the guy isn't actually going to try to sell you on the intercooler thing unless by some fat chance that is the problem.

Old 07-29-2008, 12:17 PM
GregsSD
Posting Guru
Are you sure he said "intercooler leak" because he might have meant "EGR cooler leak".

The EGR cooler cracking is one of the most common problems, mine got replaced last year along with leaking headgaskets and my dealer did install ARP studs that I provided but told me that other dealerships might not honor the warranty with them on but that they would.

Quick Reply: About to take on a dealer...not sure what to expect.