Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

YouTube's Powerstrokehelp Upper-End Oil Change

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 01:29 PM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ryan, I think the best way to do this is the way Chris is going to do it. Take a sample of each and have them analyzed by a lab like Blackstone. If you wanted to do the same, that would be like a second opinion.

I don't know any other way to do this to get good results.

Old 07-21-2008, 01:46 PM
lhud
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Weekendwarrior...."Question fellas,
I went to go look at this oil revisor and the cap with the alin wrench whole in it is striped. Any advice on how it get this out?"

Unless someone has replaced the original plug, it should be a torx type plug (I think), not a stripped recessed socket head type.

Old 07-21-2008, 04:21 PM
RAMPAGE_F350
Posting Guru
I'm willing to bet that the two samples come back very different. I changed my oil last month and the oil is a nice amber/golden color. I drained my HPOP reservior for the very first time yesturday(3 times) and even the third time the oil was a nasty black color. If there is circulation from the LPOP, its not much! This thread has opened my eyes!
I would highly recommend everyone to do the HPOP reservoir drain/fill process, as many times as needed until the oil that is drained is good clean oil. It's only a couple of quarts of oil and a little extra time.

Stripped allen screw cap: goto Sears or your local hardware store and get an screw extractor set.

Old 07-21-2008, 04:25 PM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.

Originally Posted by RAMPAGE_F350
I'm willing to bet that the two samples come back very different. I changed my oil last month and the oil is a nice amber/golden color. I drained my HPOP reservior for the very first time yesturday(3 times) and even the third time the oil was a nasty black color. If there is circulation from the LPOP, its not much! This thread has opened my eyes!
I would highly recommend everyone to do the HPOP reservoir drain/fill process, as many times as needed until the oil that is drained is good clean oil.

Thanks Chris. I think I will do this. This seems tuff to get a correct answer to. But post like yours really has merit on this. I look forward to the two samples coming back.

Old 07-21-2008, 04:37 PM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

OK you guys do the oil samples but at the same time I would like you to answer these questions.
1. Where is the recirculation passages for the HPOP system?
2. How does the IPR regulated ICP pressures and where does it vent the excess to?
3. What happens to the oil after it is used in the injectors? And where does it go?

Answer those questions correctly and you will understand where I am coming from.

Old 07-21-2008, 04:40 PM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.

Originally Posted by tjbeggs
OK you guys do the oil samples but at the same time I would like you to answer these questions.
1. Where is the recirculation passages for the HPOP system?
2. How does the IPR regulated ICP pressures and where does it vent the excess to?
3. What happens to the oil after it is used in the injectors? And where does it go?

Answer those questions correctly and you will understand where I am coming from.

Tim, I hated to take a test in school. But, looking at the diagram that was posted, looks like the injected oil goes back to the pan. I just wonder how much oil it takes to fire an injector.

Old 07-21-2008, 04:45 PM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

Originally Posted by miller_feed
Tim, I hated to take a test in school. But, looking at the diagram that was posted, looks like the injected oil goes back to the pan. I just wonder how much oil it takes to fire an injector.
That answers number three!

To answer your question drain the oil in your truck and start it up (please don't do this I will find you someone else's experience!). When it stops running it has used all the oil in the HPOP reservoir. If I had money to bet with I would bet you the truck would quit in 30 seconds or less.

Or search threads for guys who had no starts that also had empty reservoirs. They fill it and start the truck and with in seconds the truck quits again. I know there was one recently in the OBS section. I will find it tonight or tomorrow for some reading.

Old 07-21-2008, 05:07 PM
clux
Post Fiend

To answer your question drain the oil in your truck and start it up (please don't do this I will find you someone else's experience!). When it stops running it has used all the oil in the HPOP reservoir. If I had money to bet with I would bet you the truck would quit in 30 seconds or less.

Or search threads for guys who had no starts that also had empty reservoirs. They fill it and start the truck and with in seconds the truck quits again. I know there was one recently in the OBS section. I will find it tonight or tomorrow for some reading.
I agree Tim. I don't fill my oil filter at oil changes, and my pickup will sometimes almost die in the 5-10 seconds it takes to make oil pressure. That's at idle. I would guess at highway speed the reservoir capacity gets cycled every 1-2 seconds.
You guys are chasing ghosts IMO.

Old 07-21-2008, 05:07 PM
Action4478
Hotshot
Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

The only merit I can see to the 3 step procces ,(BTW , it wouldnt include starting ) , would be to dilute anything below the standpipe in the res ,,There may be crap on the bottom by design,,,Pic of the oil system

Old 07-21-2008, 06:40 PM
03F2507.3
Senior User
Ok, I pulled out some oil from the HPOP and it looks just fine. Its NOT sludge and does NOT appear to be old or worn out. It feels exactly the same and looks exactly the same as the oil off of the dipstick.

I say DONT WASTE YOUR TIME

Old 07-21-2008, 07:02 PM
Action4478
Hotshot
Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by 03F2507.3
Ok, I pulled out some oil from the HPOP and it looks just fine. Its NOT sludge and does NOT appear to be old or worn out. It feels exactly the same and looks exactly the same as the oil off of the dipstick.

I say DONT WASTE YOUR TIME
If you are trying to get people to follow you ,,sometimes you may need to come up with a problem (that seemingly no one else has ever heard of)....

Old 07-21-2008, 09:25 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by Action4478
If you are trying to get people to follow you ,,sometimes you may need to come up with a problem (that seemingly no one else has ever heard of)....
That might be the plan if the guy was a snake-oil salesman, but most of his stuff is pretty-much "right-on".

Though he DOES recommend some oil additives, and he endorses a programmer other than the one most commonly-recommended here, his advice is over-all pretty sound.

This whole "three-times-suck" is the only major item that I've found questionable.

Once? Yes. Thrice? NAAAWW!

Pop

Old 07-21-2008, 09:39 PM
cookie88
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by clux
I agree Tim. I don't fill my oil filter at oil changes, and my pickup will sometimes almost die in the 5-10 seconds it takes to make oil pressure. That's at idle. I would guess at highway speed the reservoir capacity gets cycled every 1-2 seconds.
You guys are chasing ghosts IMO.
I agree that it's a non-issue. All it means if you don't ever drain the HPO reservoir is that one quart of dirty oil gets mixed with your 15 quarts of clean oil.

We often discuss aftermarket injectors "running out of oil" as the need for the upgraded HPOP. Even big chips and stock injectors have the problem...... If that is what is actually happening in there one could conclude that the reservoir is nearly empty when the truck noses over and loses power.

Anybody else find it interesting that on the video the third draw of "clean" oil was still black in the jar after only 5-10 minutes of idle time? I wonder what that means.

Old 07-21-2008, 09:54 PM
Tenn01PSD350
Post Fiend
Chasing ghosts? Whatever. My reservoir was full of black nasty crap. It was not recycling or it would not look that way. Do as you wish. Those of you not finding nasty stuff are not pulling from the bottom. It is there, unless you have already drained and filled it several times.

Of course my experience may be worse because of how much my truck sits too, IDK. I am nowhere close to an oil change, but I am curious what it looks like. I may just pull it out next week for giggles.

Old 07-21-2008, 10:08 PM
PaysonPSD
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I have been straining my eyes looking at that HPOP oil flow diagram and cannot figure out how the oil from the HPOP reservoir gets to the HPOP. The HPOP isn't even in the diagram. Can someone help me out?

Quick Reply: YouTube's Powerstrokehelp Upper-End Oil Change