Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

YouTube's Powerstrokehelp Upper-End Oil Change

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2008, 06:11 PM
SVLERF250PWRSTRKE
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This guy knows his stuff, especially after watching the other videos, I believe it is a good idea! I still have a promblem with an engine miss until i accelerate moderately then it clears up. Maybe its the nasty oil

Old 07-20-2008, 07:57 PM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tjbeggs
At idle it will take a few minutes (less than 3) driving it would take a very short time. The injectors don't use a ton of oil but considering 8 injectors running what ever RPM it doesn't take very long to run though a quart of oil. You must also remember that some of the oil in the reservoir is pushed straight back into the timing cover due to the IPR Bleeding off oil to keep ICP in check.

To be very honest IMO you guys are looking way too deep into this. I think this youtube guy is off the deep end on this issue.
Originally Posted by SpringerPop
I suspect that the HPOP reservoir has a constant supply directly from the LPOP at all times, and it just overflows the opening in the reservoir and the excess runs down onto the cam geartrain as lube.

Thus, it should be a constant circulation and change-over of the oil available.

I'm gonna' call BUNK on the second and third "sucks"!

Pop
I think you guys are right. Like I said in my first post, nothing said about this in the book. I think I will change my oil every 5,000 miles and forget about it.

Old 07-20-2008, 08:20 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by miller_feed
I think you guys are right. Like I said in my first post, nothing said about this in the book. I think I will change my oil every 5,000 miles and forget about it.
After seeing what came out of my HPOP reservoir, I don't see any reason to disagree with you Rick, but I have enjoyed this discussion. I was thinking of having an oil analysis done anyway, so I'll just go ahead and get the HPOP checked at the same time for shi** & grins.

Old 07-20-2008, 08:35 PM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.

Originally Posted by F350-6
After seeing what came out of my HPOP reservoir, I don't see any reason to disagree with you Rick, but I have enjoyed this discussion. I was thinking of having an oil analysis done anyway, so I'll just go ahead and get the HPOP checked at the same time for shi** & grins.

Chris, I think you have the right idea. But, I think you need to send a sample of the oil from the pan to get a real comparison of the two. If they are the same, you will put this to rest. . After reading your post again, I think that is what you are doing.

Old 07-20-2008, 09:00 PM
PaysonPSD
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by F350-6
I'll be looking forward to the results of the HPOP vs Pan UOA. It will be very telling. Maybe then I'll be able to rep you. Can't right now.

Old 07-20-2008, 09:24 PM
danskool
Go Bills !
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
I don't have a pump. I have a huge syringe with a hose on it. It sucks about a quarter of a quart out at a time. I got it somewhere for 50 cents. And that is how i currently put fresh back in. Until i get a turkey baster as a funnel. I just never liked the idea of oil in there that don't drain and i have access to removing it. The time it takes is a few minutes. Usually as long as it takes to drain the pan. I always thought it was how an oil change procedure was supposed to be. Someone from work told me about it(maybe he seen the video). If there is old oil hiding in there somewhere i like to get it out if is fairly simple and quick.

Old 07-20-2008, 10:48 PM
HighOctane
PMS: an obsession

Isn't this the one and the same oil rail system that we add our HPX lines to? If so, I'll gladly report that my oil coming through these ports were nice and clean when I installed mine and my brothers, shortly after oil changes too.

Old 07-21-2008, 08:33 AM
mueckster
Lead Driver
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
mayo jar evacuator

I got the stuff together for my mayo jar evacuator. I had most of the stuff laying around. I am going to build one soon and check the HPOP oil for contamination. I am really interested in making this thing for removing oil and fuel from the cylinders during injector change. I am putting a piece of brake line on the end of clear tubing that can "reach" thru the injector or GP hole to suck out the fluids. I am anxious to try this out with my homemade a/c vacuum pump to see how this will work.

Rick,
If this works, I'll be ready for the injector install. We'll be ordering'em up soon!

Old 07-21-2008, 08:55 AM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.

Originally Posted by mueckster
I got the stuff together for my mayo jar evacuator. I had most of the stuff laying around. I am going to build one soon and check the HPOP oil for contamination. I am really interested in making this thing for removing oil and fuel from the cylinders during injector change. I am putting a piece of brake line on the end of clear tubing that can "reach" thru the injector or GP hole to suck out the fluids. I am anxious to try this out with my homemade a/c vacuum pump to see how this will work.

Rick,
If this works, I'll be ready for the injector install. We'll be ordering'em up soon!
Good job on building the sucker. lol. Yeah, will come in handy for the injector change. Will keep from getting oil all over my engine. I want to see how your HPOP oil will look like compared to the pan.

Old 07-21-2008, 10:59 AM
jerryk
Freshman User
I figuired getting fresh and clean oil to moving parts is always a good idea,
I had about 3/4 of a quart laying around so I plulled to plug on my HPOP and sucked out about 3/4 quart and replaced it with fresh.
I won't be doing any oil analysis but I can tell you the oil I pulled out of the HPOP was very black. I have about 2K on my oil change and my dipstick just has a bit of darkness on the oil in the pan, The oil from the HPOP was much, much darker.
I will get some Syn Rotella T and try to flush the oil out of my HPOP as the Powerstrokehelp guy suggests.
Seems like a good idea.

Jerry

Old 07-21-2008, 11:24 AM
weekendwarriorfsw32
Master of Strokes

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Question fellas,
I went to go look at this oil revisor and the cap with the alin wrench whole in it is striped. Any advice on how it get this out?

Old 07-21-2008, 11:41 AM
Tenn01PSD350
Post Fiend
Vice grips, channel locks, or a simple extractor.

Old 07-21-2008, 11:43 AM
mueckster
Lead Driver
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by weekendwarriorfsw32
Question fellas,
I went to go look at this oil revisor and the cap with the alin wrench whole in it is striped. Any advice on how it get this out?
You can try tapping on top with a hammer to loosen it up and use vise grips. Or, a chisel and hammer, catching it on the edge with the chisel and hitting the chisel in the loose direction. You could cut a slot in the plug with a hacksaw so you could turn it later with a screwdriver.

Old 07-21-2008, 11:48 AM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.

Humm, Ryan and Jerry had to different experiences with this. I guess the oil samples will be the way to give this a rest.

Old 07-21-2008, 12:21 PM
HighOctane
PMS: an obsession

I am about to do an oil change right away. I was going to do it this weekend but landscaping duties took over. Pop, Rick, or someone tell me how you want me to do this for scientific purposes and I will report back any results.
My thoughts are:
Drain my crank case, then drain my HPOP reservoir. What if we wait a few minutes once the first quart is drained from the res. will more oil from this system bleed back into the res. or just sit in the rails? (I know it bleeds out of the HPX line ports.) The video says 3 quarts are in this system. If nothing happens, I'll add oil to the reservoir and wait a few minutes and see if it is draining down, and what color it is when it drains down to the pan, (maybe it is mixing and flushing HPOP oil down?) or would I only be getting the overflow oil from the reservoir?
Let me know, I will do it once or 3 times if asked. I don't much care, I just want to know for sure.

Quick Reply: YouTube's Powerstrokehelp Upper-End Oil Change