Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

About to go Crazy......

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 06:26 AM
rtc123
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool About to go Crazy......

Ok, this may be long but need some input...Several months ago was having trouble with my 96 F150 xlt 302....it was dieing while running down the road and would not start for some while...Changed all the plugs wires cap rotor every thing electrical i could think of...Then changed out the Dist...ran beautiful for about 4 months,,,then crapped out again...Took it to ford and they said the Dist stator and module could be bad again and i needed to seperate plug wires more and clean injectors and reset timing....
So, put new ford plugs and wires on, reset timing, cleaned inj. Truck starts good, but upon accelerating, it shows code P0300,. multiple cyl.misfires...
Took it back...now they say the fuel filter is bad and fuel pumps are bad?
So, I changed filter, hooked up fuel guage, and tested fuel pressure is 32 to 40...36-42 on acceleration...
Truck runs ok when hot, cold backfires and cuts out...always shows same code (P0300)...
Now for the grimlin part? When i fix the engine problem, the driver side elect window quits working...when the engine runs poorly, the window works great?
Question here is, does ford have a problem with Distributors for this year and model, and will i have to rebuild it every 4 to 6 months?

Old 07-20-2008, 11:38 AM
skaterbro
Senior User
It sounds like you could be having a heatsoak problem. I'd say the ignition module, it's happened many times before.
Or it could be outright failing. A bad set of plug wires could cause the TFI module to fail prematurely. Same goes for the cap & rotor.

Old 07-20-2008, 12:15 PM
fbama73
Senior User
Also check your plug wire routing. There's a decal on the core support stating to be careful routing two of the wires on the passenger's bank to prevent crossfiring.

If your luck is like mine, you probably won't be that lucky, but it's worth a look

Old 07-20-2008, 06:24 PM
rtc123
New User
Thansk for the info,,,this last time i replaced the wires, i had them custom cut with extra length so i could route them completely away from one another as well as anything else they could run in contact with...cost me a fortune...whats happening now is that when i get to 1100 to 1200 rpm or around 50 to 60mph, i feel a small cut out or miss fire..again....i did check my fuel press at those rpms and it seems to drop a bit before it goes up.....if i stomp on it from the beginning, you don't feel or hear anything but it sucking air and roaring like a big dog....thanks for the input

Old 07-20-2008, 07:31 PM
Emiliojr
New User
Your first post sounds like a ignition problem. My bronco did the same when I would drive it for awhile the engine would shut off when driving. I would let it sit for an hour or so then it would start up. It turned out to be a bad coil and pick up in the dist. Your second post has me stumped.