HOWTO - Changing the colors of the gauge faces & backlighting of gauge clusters

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 08:17 PM
must-be-a-stang
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I painted mine following Sycostang's steps. Turned out perfect. Pics in my gallery.

Old 03-26-2009, 08:39 PM
Fordzilla80
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by displacement4me
Are you sure you want to get rid of it, I think its more like PRND21.
Sorry,typo.lol.Thanks for catching that.But it really doesn't matter cause I don't use 1st and 2nd gear anyway.lol.

Old 03-26-2009, 10:29 PM
displacement4me
More Turbo

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I knew what you meant, just buggin . I too plan to do some repainting of my cluster, not white tho. We'll see.

Old 03-27-2009, 01:46 PM
hittman1422
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are you sure you want to get rid of it, I think its more like PRND21.
oops!!!!
hate it when that happens

Old 03-27-2009, 04:59 PM
Fordzilla80
Postmaster
I knew what you meant, just buggin . I too plan to do some repainting of my cluster, not white tho. We'll see.
Cool man.Btw,have you gotten anything more done on the rebuild of your truck?

Old 03-27-2009, 06:48 PM
displacement4me
More Turbo

I don't know what the last thing you know I've done is - around Christmas I got it stripped to the frame and everything unboltable off.
I've been away at school - only five more weeks to go tho. I got the sandblasting lined up for my frame and a few of the other components once I return. And a buddy of mine is now a certified audio tech, so he's got a a good price for audio and an alarm and is going to help with the install since I am doing that myself.

Thats about all I can do being away from it. Thanks for asking tho, the count down is on.

Old 04-10-2009, 08:55 PM
Fordzilla80
Postmaster
For those who are thinking about repainting the gauges,I have recently done mine.Instead of using a permanent marker however,I decided to use blue paint for the lines and numbers.This was a fairly easy upgrade,however it is time consuming,and it is a bit of a pain.It is important to take your time.To paint the numbers and lines,I used Q-tips.On the smaller lines,I cut most of the cotton off the end of a Q-tip,and dipped it in paint,then dabbed it on a piece of paper to get excess paint off,and then I gently applied it to the lines.This is a bit frustrating since the lines are so small and it takes a steady hand to keep from making mistakes.For those who think they can't do it,you can.I'm only 16,and I did it without a problem.I'm pretty sure i'm the youngest person to ever do this.And if I can do it,you can too.lol.Here's the finished result...

Old 04-10-2009, 10:37 PM
Festus Hagen
Methanoholic
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Dude, That looks AWESOME! I'm am impressed.

I was not expecting to see it look that good! Not an insult, It's just not something everybody can do... I know I couldn't!

I don't like the white, but thats a personal preference.

-Enjoy
fh : )_~

Old 04-10-2009, 11:12 PM
dman2008
Posting Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by fordtruckman80
For those who are thinking about repainting the gauges,I have recently done mine.Instead of using a permanent marker however,I decided to use blue paint for the lines and numbers.This was a fairly easy upgrade,however it is time consuming,and it is a bit of a pain.It is important to take your time.To paint the numbers and lines,I used Q-tips.On the smaller lines,I cut most of the cotton off the end of a Q-tip,and dipped it in paint,then dabbed it on a piece of paper to get excess paint off,and then I gently applied it to the lines.This is a bit frustrating since the lines are so small and it takes a steady hand to keep from making mistakes.For those who think they can't do it,you can.I'm only 16,and I did it without a problem.I'm pretty sure i'm the youngest person to ever do this.And if I can do it,you can too.lol.Here's the finished result...

When I use to work at an autobody shop we used to use a match from a pack of matches, you just rip it out and then dip the bottom in the touch up paint and then filled the chip. It would be similar to your Q-tip method. We found the match was better than the little brush in the bottle.

Look great white and blue good work!

D

Old 04-10-2009, 11:58 PM
doug1222556
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by fordtruckman80
Excellent job, and you may be the youngest person to do that, (or not). Before you pat yourself too hard on the back though, let me take you back to the days when dinosaurs roamed the earth and there were no computers to corrupt what could be productive hours of a young persons life.

Though they still exist and can even be seen at a few specialty hobby shops and swap meets, back in the day the model car kits that a few nostalgics still purchase and maybe even assemble, were as popular as texting is today.

Being 1/24 scale, highlighting the lines and numbers on those instrument clusters took a 00 brush, just the right amount of paint, enhanced eyesight, and a super steady hand. We did these when we were about 10 -13 years old. Not trying to steal your glory, just pointing out the difference in the amount of time devoted to hands on real world practiced today compared to back then when we would spend weeks detailing out models.

The following users liked this post:
Old 04-11-2009, 03:07 AM
Sycostang67
Post Fiend
Of course you can do it, you're young and have steady hands, I'm old and shake a lot. Too many years of loud music, late nights and other stuff I'm not at liberty to mention. That looks awesome, you did a great job.

I know what you're talking about doug, I used to build models too. I dont do it anymore, I spend too much time playing with the full-size cars but I still have most of the models I built when I was younger. In fact I have a model that bears a striking resemblance to the truck I have now.

Old 04-11-2009, 03:48 AM
Festus Hagen
Methanoholic
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Sycostang67
Of course you can do it, you're young and have steady hands, I'm old and shake a lot. Too many years of loud music, late nights and other stuff I'm not at liberty to mention.
Dude, I hope this isn't me you're talking about I suspect I'm twice your age at least, and twice (at least I suspect) the "loud music, late nights, and other stuff I'm not at liberty to mention", Plus a pile of others that would be better off forgotten about!

If you're talking about the OP, He done proved it to me!
It looks awesome.

-Enjoy
fh : )_~

Old 04-11-2009, 07:59 AM
doug1222556
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey now, Let's not get into the models we played with when we got a little older.
And I'm right there with you Sycostang-matter of fact, I can't even SEE well enough to appreciate a well built model (car)! (I still see well enough to appreciate the other type.)

Old 04-11-2009, 11:58 AM
Fordzilla80
Postmaster
Originally Posted by doug1222556
Excellent job, and you may be the youngest person to do that, (or not). Before you pat yourself too hard on the back though, let me take you back to the days when dinosaurs roamed the earth and there were no computers to corrupt what could be productive hours of a young persons life.

Though they still exist and can even be seen at a few specialty hobby shops and swap meets, back in the day the model car kits that a few nostalgics still purchase and maybe even assemble, were as popular as texting is today.

Being 1/24 scale, highlighting the lines and numbers on those instrument clusters took a 00 brush, just the right amount of paint, enhanced eyesight, and a super steady hand. We did these when we were about 10 -13 years old. Not trying to steal your glory, just pointing out the difference in the amount of time devoted to hands on real world practiced today compared to back then when we would spend weeks detailing out models.
You know,the funny thing is,i've never texted anyone except for my gf,the only reason I really get on the computer is for these wonderful forums,and I actually build plastic car models.I also belong to a local plastic modeling club.I'm currently workin on an Alan Kulwicki Zerex T-Bird.A guy in the club had three of the same kit,and he sold all three to me for 10 bucks.One of the kits had a box that was in horrible condition,but the model was fine.I decided to build that one,and save the other two and see how much they'll be worth in 20-30 years.

And thanks for all the comments ya'll.

Old 04-11-2009, 12:04 PM
Fordzilla80
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Sycostang67
Of course you can do it, you're young and have steady hands, I'm old and shake a lot. Too many years of loud music, late nights and other stuff I'm not at liberty to mention. That looks awesome, you did a great job.

I know what you're talking about doug, I used to build models too. I dont do it anymore, I spend too much time playing with the full-size cars but I still have most of the models I built when I was younger. In fact I have a model that bears a striking resemblance to the truck I have now.
As far as steady hands go,there's a little thing that runs in the family called "essential tremors",where your hands uncontrollably shake.My Grandpa has it,and he passed it on to my mom,and she passed it on to me.So my hands aren't very steady.So it probably took me longer to do than you,cause I took alot of time painting the letters to try to keep from making mistakes.

And SycoStang,if you've finished the model of your truck,i'd like to see pics.I've got a 92 Flareside that I did when I was 14.It's not the best cause I built it when I was just starting out,but now I'm currently restoring it.I've only been able to find the Flareside,a short bed 93,and a snap together 95,that my dad has,but he won't give it to me.He's never openede the box and he's had it since 1996.Did you have to custom make parts for yours?Cause I know they made an 87-91 Dually F250 kit,so maybe you used it?

Quick Reply: HOWTO - Changing the colors of the gauge faces & backlighting of gauge clusters