Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

91 F-150 help! (no keys...)

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 06:11 PM
BlazinJake
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
91 F-150 help! (no keys...)

I"ve just inherited a 91 f-150 from my dad... and i have to get it off the property that it's on quickly... and nobody has keys for it... is there a way for me to get the truck into neutral and unlock the steering wheel so that i can tow it without the keys? I know that i can get a key cut by a locksmith i just cannot afford it right now and i need to get this truck moved... any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Old 07-17-2008, 06:25 PM
northern 7.3
Temporarily Deactivated
if its 4x4 put the transfer case in N
if not i guess get under it and uhook the trans linkage and move the lever by hand unless someone knows on here knows a trick.

Old 07-17-2008, 06:34 PM
Virto
Posting Guru
Locksmith shouldn't be more than 25 bucks to mold a key.

Take yourself to your local parts store and pick up a new ignition cylinder with keys. Should be around 12 bucks. There is a pin located on the bottom of the steering column near the key cylinder. Push that pin in and the cylinder should come out.

Replace with new, turn key, go.

Old 07-17-2008, 06:42 PM
BlazinJake
New User
well the locksmith around here quoted be $105... the ignition cylinder isn't a bad idea and i'll check into that..
also thanks for the transmission linkage info... so far i've gotten that and remove the drive shaft... only driveshaft i've ever removed was in a chevy blazer... don't really figure it could be much different but you know..

Old 07-17-2008, 06:44 PM
alz
Fleet Mechanic
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Take a look at this:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/7...-w-no-key.html

If you remove the rear driveshaft, make sure to plug the trans or t-case output as it will leak from the slip-yoke.

Old 07-17-2008, 07:43 PM
netscaner
Elder User
Originally Posted by Virto
Take yourself to your local parts store and pick up a new ignition cylinder with keys. Should be around 12 bucks. There is a pin located on the bottom of the steering column near the key cylinder. Push that pin in and the cylinder should come out.

Replace with new, turn key, go.

You need a key to turn the old lock tumbler to "Acc" position to get the pin to push in, so with out a key this won't work.

Old 07-17-2008, 11:07 PM
BlazinJake
New User
so it sounds as though my best/ easiest way is to manually put the transmission in neutral by getting under it and moving it with my hand... my question to that is will the spinning drive shaft and the gears inside get too hot from the travel?? i've got to take this truck about 25 or 30 miles...

or should i remove the drive shaft completely and plug the trans? (it's not a 4 wheel drive by the way...)

Old 07-17-2008, 11:37 PM
northern 7.3
Temporarily Deactivated
remove the shaft. i know its harder without being able to put the truck in neutral. if its a 2 piece its not bad you can unbolt the hanger bearing to give you enough travel to get the ujoint out of the yoke if it wont slide enough. i wouldnt recommend towing too far in neutral. i know people do it but....
Just remember the oil in the trans. i used to haul demo cars on a car dolly so i did this driveshaft unhooking a lot. i just left the shaft in the trans and tarp strapped it up putting forward pressure on the shaft so it wouldnt slide back and put a bunch of electrical tape around the ujoint keeping the caps in place. if its the 2 piece you can just remove the rear piece and bolt the hanger back in place.

Old 07-19-2008, 04:29 AM
ditchdoc99
Freshman User
Do the ignition swap, lot less involved than taking off the drive shafts and then having to put them back on