1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Ram Assist Power Steering

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2008, 08:32 PM
GoStang
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ram Assist Power Steering

I am considering adding a ram assist ps unit on my 55 f100. Does anyone have experience with adding this to their f100? I have a 239 y-block, stock steering column and wheel with three on the tree. All of which I want to retain. Vendor and type of ps pump recomendations?
Thanks, GoStang

Old 07-14-2008, 11:29 AM
james G. phillips
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GoStang, I thought someone on here with more experience than me would have answered you by now,but have not so I guess I'll jump in. I guess every one on here is going the Toyoto steering box route and have no interest in retaining the Ford box. I'm on my first build and also want to keep the stock box to keep everything looking at least semi stock. I don't have much experience but I do have a wealth of old truck magazine articles going back to the 70s. One of these old articles shows the installation of the ram assist assembly. They used a pump,brackets, and reservoir assembly from a 57 Thunderbird. As you probably know, Ford trucks didn't offer power steering for the F100s back then but they did for the cars so I assume you would need to get all those parts from a mid fifty on up to an early sixties Ford, Mercury or Thunderbird car. Anyone that had a Y block engine like yours is. As aside note they also mentioned one supplier named F100 Parts unlimited that reamed out the hole where the sector shaft goes through to accept a needle bearing instead of the stock brass bushing. They claimed it reduced arm pressure at the wheel by 40% for those of us that don't have the Charles Atlas biceps. This article came out in 1984 and I don't think that company is in business any more. I haven't seen them advertise in many years but I don"t see why a competent machine shop couldn"t bore for a bearing. I have also heard of guys using a stock mid fifty box from a F350 or bigger which had abigger box and also reduced effort at the steering wheel. Good luck. I can just hear all the jeers coming at us now from all the guys with Toyoto boxes for our stuborness.

Old 07-14-2008, 11:49 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Let's put it this way, after driving my panel cross country to bring it home, the first thing I did was to take off the ram assist and replace it with the Toyota conversion.
I then helped write the tech article on steering options and how to do the Toy box conversion.
I assume your truck is a driver and you want a more modern steering effort and feel? If so, don't even waste another minute considering the ram unit , the Toy box works and even looks like it was made for the truck. The ram unit feels sloppy and requires a lot of attention to keep it in your lane at speed. It is numb at neutral like a worn out box then suddenly gives assist. Lastly the conversion is a lot cheaper and easier than a rebuilt stock box and ram.
I guess it depends on what you value more, the appearance of a stock 50 year old box that was an antique design even when new with a lot of junk also designed 50 years ago hanging on the front axle that trades one steering issue for another, or a conversion that actually steers like it is supposed to and looks to the casual observer like it was there all along?

Old 07-14-2008, 04:50 PM
GoStang
New User
Thanks James and AXracer for your input. Cost is always a factor; however, I was told by a f100 vendor (he recommended toyota power unit, also) that my three on the tree would have tp be converted to floor shift. I do not want a floor shift. AXracer, do you know if this is accurate? I have/had other 60's fords with ram asist ps and steering is good. Is this the same "feel" that I will have with a ram asist addon unit?
Again, thanks to both of you.

Old 07-14-2008, 07:35 PM
gusso
Elder User
GoStang,
I have no experience with three on the tree, but I can assure you that an original
steering column with a automatic xmission, can be made to fit a Toyota P/S box.
All that must be done is some very careful measurement and cutting, also a few parts
to hold it together. I should think you could make it work. Its possible someone on the forum has done what you want to do. Stay tuned.

Gary

Old 07-15-2008, 12:36 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
I really don't know about the three on the tree, Mine was already a floor shift (6 speed) when I got it and I replaced the stock column with a tilt model with a 15" steering wheel at the same time. It would depend a lot if there is enough clearance below the shift mech to fit in a U joint or enough clearance between the mech and the firewall to allow it to be shortened enough to have enough space for the U joint. Shortening a 3 spd shift tube is not exceptionally difficult. Where there's a will there's a way. (hmm... a couple push pull solenoids mounted on the tranny to move the shift levers, some micro switches and relays to trip them... )

Old 07-15-2008, 11:09 AM
merten
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by GoStang
Thanks James and AXracer for your input. Cost is always a factor; however, I was told by a f100 vendor (he recommended toyota power unit, also) that my three on the tree would have tp be converted to floor shift. I do not want a floor shift. AXracer, do you know if this is accurate? I have/had other 60's fords with ram asist ps and steering is good. Is this the same "feel" that I will have with a ram asist addon unit?
Again, thanks to both of you.
I think that you can retain the column shift. I would give mid fifty F100 parts a call (800)252-1956 They sell the kit too. Let us know what you find out.

Old 07-15-2012, 07:30 AM
TRINITYAUTO
4wd Low
I called CPP last week, I have a 56 with 3 on the tree, they told me I could not use Toyota box with three on tree.... I am looking for a power assist unit now. I have the drag link & control valve, but CPP does not sell the ram & tie rod, & mount seperatly.

Old 07-15-2012, 10:47 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
It might be possible to retain the column shift with the Toy box, I can't say for sure without seeing one. I have an aftermarket column with floorshift (I don't know of any 6 on the tree columns. LOL!)

You might be able to find the assist cylinder at a salvage yard or from an OEM obsolete parts supplier (try www.car-part.com) since ford used that system well into the 60's. My very unpleasant experience with that system may have been in part because of excessive steering box wear or the wrong pressure PS pump used by the PO.