1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

2007 Mercury Grand Marquis suspension into a 72 F100

Old 10-04-2009, 09:41 PM
Shoestring
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That does not sound too bad. I am getting ready when I have a little money to start ordering the fuel system parts. I think I might be able to use the sending unit from the grand marquis. Since you mention making a whole that the sending unit will fit into, this does not sound too bad. I think though I am still going to try to use the original wiring harness from the GM and the stock computer. I am looking at that until I know the motor will run strong.

SS

Old 10-30-2009, 09:18 AM
Shoestring
Senior User
Originally Posted by 72-F100-4V
Not to worry Shoestring. Your right the sending unit is in the wrong place. But a small piece of metal welded over the old hole takes care of that.

I plan on using the fuel pump from the Mach 1. I cut out the support the fuel pump slides into and the upper access port the wires and lines come out of. I will just weld these to the old Stang tank and press on. I do need to install a roll over valve and a vent, but those are also coming off the Mach 1 tank too. The fuel inlet neck is also being reused from the Mach 1 and I just need to get it fabed up and mounted under the bed. I plan to just have a small door at the rear of the bed to acess the fuel filler.
Do you have your fuel system hooked up yet? I have been researching these newer modular motors and they seem to be picky on fuel systems. I have learned that the factory fuel system is an electronically controlled pressure regulation system with no return system. The Computer sends signals to a fuel pump module that tells the fuel pump how much pressure to put on the line. The fuel pump is not just simple on or off or on all the time. It is a variable voltage type deal. So I have the stock fuel tank sending unit with the fuel pump module. I was wondering if you have yours set up yet with the 2004 mustang sending unit. You would seem to have the same size sending unit and required modifications I will have to do. Did you consider using an external fuel pump?

SS

Old 11-06-2009, 01:26 AM
jusatad
New User
Wow...Great post you have going here. I have a 63 short Uni and just picked up a wrecked 05 CVPI for the front suspension swap. Thanks to this post, now I'm thinking I can swap the entire drivetrain. I would really like to have a mod motor in my slick.

Can the PATS be removed from the 05 CVPI computer or do I need to buy a different computer? What do I need to keep from the 05 CVPI in addition to the motor and tranny?

Old 11-06-2009, 11:11 AM
Shoestring
Senior User
Is your 05 a P71 police issue? If it is your computer will not have PATS installed. They only put that on the civilian models. If you have a civilian model I think there is a way around it but I was able to get a police computer so now that part of my research has stopped.

Old 11-08-2009, 12:17 AM
jusatad
New User
It's a sheriff's car that hit a deer and has P71 in the VIN. Great to hear that I don't have PATS. My second concern is the drive by wire. Can that be easily swapped or should I look for an older throttle body without the drive by wire?

Old 11-09-2009, 08:10 AM
Shoestring
Senior User
I think it is possible to use the wire system. You will have to have the gas pedal though and the plug that goes up to the firewall. I have mine, wires have been cut but I have the parts, but I have not hooked anything up and tried to make it work. I would advise though to search ebay and purchase a wiring diagram for your year model vehicle.

Old 11-25-2009, 09:42 AM
72-F100-4V
Senior User
I dont have the fuel system hooked up yet. A slight hiccup occured. So the projects got to wait. I did get my drive way slab laid and the drive way will be paved soon.

As for the fuel system, I had considered going with an external pump with the pick up area being baffled inside. But Ive already got the Mach1 stuff, so best to use it.

Old 11-25-2009, 10:17 PM
Shoestring
Senior User
I dont have the fuel system hooked up yet. A slight hiccup occured. So the projects got to wait. I did get my drive way slab laid and the drive way will be paved soon.

As for the fuel system, I had considered going with an external pump with the pick up area being baffled inside. But Ive already got the Mach1 stuff, so best to use it.
One project at a time! I am now doing some research on how expensive it will be for me to get a fuel tank made localy. I am going to be using the stock crown vic stuff so I will have to go with a custom tank. I want this truck to be rolling on its own power before i tackle any body work.

Old 11-26-2009, 11:15 AM
72-F100-4V
Senior User
Originally Posted by Shoestring
One project at a time! I am now doing some research on how expensive it will be for me to get a fuel tank made localy. I am going to be using the stock crown vic stuff so I will have to go with a custom tank. I want this truck to be rolling on its own power before i tackle any body work.
If the crown vic fuel pump was internal, the fuel tank has to have an access cover or plate to be able to remove the fuel pump and level float. If it does, cut it out and weld it to an old stang tank. Plus the internal fuel pump has to have some kind of support inside the tank, cut it out too and use it!
** Fill the old tank up with water before you go cutting on it, you dont want to explode**
It would save you some money versus having a custom tank made. Plus the old Stang tank fits so perfect between the frame rails and its 22 gallons.

Old 11-26-2009, 07:49 PM
Shoestring
Senior User
If the crown vic fuel pump was internal, the fuel tank has to have an access cover or plate to be able to remove the fuel pump and level float. If it does, cut it out and weld it to an old stang tank. Plus the internal fuel pump has to have some kind of support inside the tank, cut it out too and use it!
** Fill the old tank up with water before you go cutting on it, you dont want to explode**
It would save you some money versus having a custom tank made. Plus the old Stang tank fits so perfect between the frame rails and its 22 gallons.
I was considering doing this but I figured that with the price of the tank and then the labor and supplies to make the modification would put me over what it would cost to just have someone build a tank. I have not gotten any prices yet but I am just trying to save where I can. I did cut the entire patch of metal from around the sending unit out of the CV tank so I have the pattern and the stuff to be put in either tank.

SS

Old 11-28-2009, 02:48 AM
79 f-150 guy
Elder User
nice build, what are you using to run the engine.. the megasquirt stuff or ??

Old 11-28-2009, 10:04 AM
72-F100-4V
Senior User
Originally Posted by 79 f-150 guy
nice build, what are you using to run the engine.. the megasquirt stuff or ??
Nothing yet. but ive got plenty of time to figure it out. Megasquirt is on the list, otherwise I might go with the stock computer and a hand held tuner. Ive got all of the stock wiring and guage pod. I really havnt made up my mind on the injection side. If I go megasquirt, ill get the Dakota Digital dash, If I use the stock stuff, itll be a hand held flash device.

As far as the truck. Ive got to fab up the fuel, brake, and hydro lines. But right now its all talk as uncle sam threw me a curve ball and my project has got to wait.

Old 03-12-2010, 04:01 PM
Rusty 63
Senior User
Hey there! It's been 4 months -- any progress to report?

Old 03-14-2010, 12:04 AM
72-F100-4V
Senior User
not yet, im still deployed. Im counting the days down. Ive got a large pile of parts that ive bought since being gone.
Some parts that I have bought:
4:10 gears for 8.8 IRS
Gear install kit
Helper air bags for Mark VIII IRS
-8AN braided steel fuel hose
-8AN 100 micron filter
Mega Squirt
Mega Squirt relay board and harness
Dakota Digital dash Kit
18 circut Painless wiring kit
Sony head unit with Ipod hook up
Eclisps 6X9 speakers
Hurst Indy shifter
#2 pool ball
CNC parts for hydro clutch
3" in/out polished stainless steel mufflers
Dark blue carpet from 1AAuto
Polished left and right head light buckets
Parts that I still need to get
A load of parts from DC, about 550 worth of rubber parts
Sound deadener off Ebay
3" stainless steel exhaust piping
Stainless Works 2003 Maruader full length headers 1,000
Wheels 500
Tires 600
Monstaliner kit 250
Classic Auto air 775
Wide band data logger 229
A load of parts from Rock Auto totalling 450

Old 03-14-2010, 07:04 AM
Rusty 63
Senior User
Deployed? Wow, had no idea. Thank you! I read something about you getting your airframe license - hopefully that keeps you away from getting shot at. If not, keep your gun clean & do whatcha gotta do.

It does sound like you've done a fair bit of shopping, too.

I bought a rear-ended 04 CV PI & have been gutting it in my garage next to my 63, so I can get started on the swap. Plan to use the entire drivetrain, supsension, brakes, rims & tires, master/booster/pedal assy, antilock, computer, harness, etc tight down to the aluminum driveshaft. I think it's going to be a lot of fun! Glad I just reread the last few posts about fuel tanks & pumps. I'll make sure I pull the sending unit/fuel pump assy out of the old tank if I can't make the tank fit someplace int eh truck. If you're bored, my buildup's in the 61-66 forum.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2007 Mercury Grand Marquis suspension into a 72 F100