Lightning, Harley-Davidson F-150, Roush F-150 & Saleen F-150 SVT Ford F150 Lightning, Roush, Saleen and other performance F150's

A trip to Troyer

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 10:45 PM
BigB
Cross-Country

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A trip to Troyer

It's been a long time since I last posted but I wanted to get a call out to the good folks at Troyer Performance and Ken for his always encouraging posts regarding the "project truck".
I took my "Sleeper Fx4" on a long road trip two weeks ago to see the good folks at TP. What was a really nice Roush Powered FX4 has become a fire breathing monster :-) - a "monster" that still looks (and works) for all the world like a nice Blk FX4. I'll share the quick story to encourage anyone thinking about it - these trucks are capable of amazing things...
I started with a BLK FX4 4dr / long bed - one very heavy truck!
I ordered the truck from a "Roush authorized" dealer in TO - some old stories there - the truck was delivered with the Roush inter cooled SC, Roush off road exhaust & front anti roll bar. We also changed out the stock Ford shocks for Bilstein's.
Great ride - smile never stopped but you could feel there was more....
I had been "inspired" by Ken's project truck and his notes about Troyer Performance caused me to look into tuning - First step was a mail order tune. The process took a little over a month across the border but each step was clearly explained. The end result exceded my expectations - if you are driving a Roush Charged Truck and not running one of Mike's TP tunes you are not living - wow - big wake up!
Another few months go by but an itch not scratched...
As it turns out, I work for a company whose North American HQ is in Reston, Virgina - not to far from TP - I'd been waiting for the right meeting.
I set up an appointment with Anita (who took care of everthing - rental etc, THANKS!) and headed down... 600+ miles to remind me how much I love this truck.
Arriving at Troyer after 600 miles is a little like arriving at some sort of temple at the end of a journey and not to be let down - I met the wise man. In truth, about half of what Mike covered with me went over my head but the rest left me much smarter - and feeling very confident about the next few days.
If you've read Ken's posts, you know Troyer has a dyno and Mike is a genius with the computer. I had the folks at Troyer add a few parts:
Dynatech Longtube Header System, High-Flow Catalytic Converters & Y-pipe Assembly
60,000 volt GMS coil packs
Troyer Performance Electric Fan kit
2lbs pulley

When all was said and done and Mike worked his magic we pulled 376hp & 434lbs at the rear wheels. Throttle response is spectacular and the sound - the sound is something I'll need to figure out how to post some time.
Anyway - sorry not to contribute more often... I'll try to stay more in touch. If you're driving one of these trucks you know what you have (not a vw) - the still good looking F150 can be both a practical hard working truck and a surprisingly quick, snarling, mid-life expression of fun & excess.
Thanks again to the folks at Troyer - worth the drive and then some!

Old 09-02-2008, 11:36 PM
96sherm
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
hot dang, thats one paragraph of drooling material!! love to see videos of the "beast"!!!

Old 09-03-2008, 01:56 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Glad to here another success story! Hmmm... you were the guy Troyer said bumped my scheduling out by an extra week! Joking...

I'm heading to Troyer's this Monday for:

1. Dynatech longtube headers with high-flow cats, etc.
2. Beefing up the tranny even more plus I'm adding a larger tranny cooler with fan.
3. Boost-a-pump so it can deliver more fuel at WOT.
4. More dyno tuning.

Your 376HP is impressive for this time of year. In winter with his tuning and that setup you'll be pulling an honest 400+ RWHP - no kidding.

I already have the Troyer E-fan kit, and if you'll email me at ftssservice at gmail dot com I'll be happy to give you a tip that costs about $5 for 3 diodes that will increase the reliability of them tremendously. Not that the kit isn't good now (and those custom brackets he has makes it look stock).... but a really simple add-on with 3 diodes can help. I'll explain via email how because I'm not active on FTE right now because I have a work project keeping me very busy but I'll be happy to discuss our trucks via email.

One thing you may want to look into if you haven't already is tires. Its hard to find good speed rated tires for 20 inch Roush wheels, but after a lot of research I went with Yokohama Parada Spec tires. They handle very well and the grip is incredible (downside to that is I can't scratch rubber as much from a dead stop!). Cornering is great and they are rated to 140+ MPH. A very good all season street/sport/truck tire.... I highly recommend them when it's time to get new tires. I looked into Nito tires (a lot of Lightnings run them) but they didn't have them for my wheel size.

Old 09-07-2008, 08:11 PM
BigB
Cross-Country

Originally Posted by 96sherm
hot dang, thats one paragraph of drooling material!! love to see videos of the "beast"!!!
thanks

No video but I do have a chance to get her out on a track this week - maybe we'll get some shots.

Old 09-07-2008, 08:15 PM
BigB
Cross-Country

[quote=FTE Ken;6509093]Glad to here another success story! Hmmm... you were the guy Troyer said bumped my scheduling out by an extra week! Joking...

Thanks for the reply Ken - I have sent you a note... first couple bounced so let me know if you don't recieve my email. Looking forward to hearing how your latest visit to Troyer goes.
Cheers,

Old 09-07-2008, 08:16 PM
BigB
Cross-Country

[quote=FTE Ken;6509093]Glad to here another success story! Hmmm... you were the guy Troyer said bumped my scheduling out by an extra week! Joking...

Thanks for the reply Ken - I have sent you a note... first couple bounced so let me know if you don't recieve my email. Looking forward to hearing how your latest visit to Troyer goes.
Cheers,

Old 09-08-2008, 10:17 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I got the last one. I'm at the hotel now after spending the first day there. Worked on the headers today.

Old 09-09-2008, 07:16 AM
96sherm
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
about how much do you guys lay on the table for all these goodies?? 20g??