Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

sac vintage tilt brackets

Old 07-05-2008, 03:21 PM
Gary E
Elder User
Gary E is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
sac vintage tilt brackets

Am I doing something wrong or are these things total junk? I thought hey for $55 I'll take some pre engineered laser cut brackets even though I have all the tools to make them.

This pic is where I think the front part should go. it looks like the front pivot hole is too far forwart but I pulled it up against the air deflector.

This is what the inside looks like, note there is a solid one inch gap at the top. it looks like and the 90 degree tab doesn't even come close to catching the air deflector.

This where it looks like it should go inside

and what it looks like outside

Old 07-05-2008, 07:45 PM
gusso
Elder User
gusso is starting off with a positive reputation.
Gary
Just a suggestion.... Where the four holes in the bracket are, your photos show
a bent tab with a hole in it. You might consider cutting the tab off and reposition the bracket so it lines up properly on the frame. Cant tell if its a chrome bracket or not,
but if so, disregard this suggestion.

Gary

PS Good to meet you the other day.

G E

Old 07-05-2008, 09:28 PM
grumpy46
Elder User
grumpy46 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.grumpy46 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
the ones i bought from sac. ford didn't have the tabs. 56 ford f100

Old 07-06-2008, 12:40 AM
Gary E
Elder User
So I could cut it where the bend is between the arm and flat part and essentially take the bend out and make it strait, but the tab with the single bolt would still be down to low (if I want the arm parallel to the frame, which of course I do) so I would have to cut the tab with the single bolt off and move it up also. So I bought these brackets to refabricate them?

Gary, they are not chrome but if I have to cut them all up and reweld them I may as well just make some that actualy fit.

These brackets are pretty similar to the ones in the catalog the main diffrence is the small tab has 2 holes where mine just has the single hole but they have the bend in them as well.

Last edited by Gary E; 07-06-2008 at 12:46 AM. Reason: add stuff
Old 07-06-2008, 01:23 AM
AXracer
Post Fiend
AXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud of
Mine (manufacturer unknown, they are chromed) sure didn't fit like that! They fit right up to the wind deflector and inner fender and used one of the bumper bracket holes. Are you sure your front clip is positioned properly?

Old 07-06-2008, 01:45 AM
Gary E
Elder User
The worst thing about these brackets appears to be the bend inbetween the pad with 4 bolt holes and the arm that goes up to the bumper area. In all the pics I have seen I have not seen a front tilt bracket that was not flat. I have no clue what that bend is for.

The pics are of my sheet metal donor truck, I am using the bed and front clip off of it. Everything seems to line up fine on it, hood fits etc, I can't image the front clip being off that much.

Old 07-06-2008, 10:01 AM
gusso
Elder User
Gary,

I wonder if your brackets are made for a fiberglass doghouse.
I agree, when you buy a specific bracket to do a specific job
you should not have to refabricate them. If your `55 cab is
mounted to the frame and your doghouse is all together and
everything lines up to your satisfaction, it look like you will have
to modify your brackets to fit or make new ones. Or give Sac
Vin Ford a call to see if they are made for a fiberglass doghouse.
If the tab (with the single hole) were cut off, and left off,
would the bracket, with repositioning, then line up with the frame
and inner fender or would the bend in the bracket make the top
not line up straight with the inner fender? (Even I don't understand
what I just asked.)lol Anyway, Gary someone should have an answer
here soon. Good luck.

Gary

Old 07-06-2008, 10:23 AM
AXracer
Post Fiend
AXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud of
I don't think you'd want to leave the tab off, the inner fender alone would not be strong enough to support the weight. I think Gusso hit it, those were made for the FG one piece front clip.

Old 07-06-2008, 10:25 AM
Gary E
Elder User
no even if that tab lined up there is still a one inch gap between the inner fender and the bracket, this bracket is listed for steel frontends, it even comes with instructions of sorts. I too am baffled how it is so far off, thats why I was wondering if I was doing something wrong, I tried to see if I had the bracket on the wrong side or if it was supposed to go inside of the inner fenders, but I just don't see anyway they they fit marginally well.

Old 07-06-2008, 10:47 AM
gusso
Elder User
AX
In my "front lift brackets" gallery, the 2nd photo shows my tilt bracket without
the tabs. They have been on for 17 years without an inner fender failure. So I would
have to conclude the inner fenders would be strong enough to support the weight.
I understand what your saying . The tab would help distribute the weight better.
Gary

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.