Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

trailer winch guidance, power out

Old 07-02-2008, 02:10 PM
TxF100
Senior User
TxF100 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Sam, the ****** block will really increase the strength/pulling power of your winch allowing you to use a smaller less expensive one. Also shortening your cable will greatly increase your pulling power. The rating that are publish on most winches are for a single wrap.

Old 07-02-2008, 02:24 PM
dongc1
Elder User
dongc1 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Sam,
Here is a pic of the rear of the trailer. trailer is 18 ft.

Attached Images  
Old 07-02-2008, 02:29 PM
sdetweil
Post Fiend
sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.
thanks.. a little more outboard than the front..

Sam

Old 07-02-2008, 10:40 PM
AXracer
Post Fiend
AXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud of
Best location for the D rings is a little inside the tread width of the vehicle. Keeps the strap angle from pulling too much from the side and bunching up the strap, and keeps you from tripping over them when walking along side the vehicle.
I don't know of any small winches that will handle > 50' of cable.

Old 07-02-2008, 10:46 PM
sdetweil
Post Fiend
sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.
Originally Posted by TxF100 View Post
Sam, the ****** block will really increase the strength/pulling power of your winch allowing you to use a smaller less expensive one. Also shortening your cable will greatly increase your pulling power. The rating that are publish on most winches are for a single wrap.
thanks.. that first 3 feet of cable pull.. some rating system!..

Sam

Old 07-03-2008, 10:57 AM
dave boley
Posting Guru
dave boley is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.dave boley is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Translation...

Originally Posted by sdetweil View Post
But I have another question.. is this just bad translation/instructions (on the HF non-camo version, 91781)

3. Disengage the Clutch Gear of the Winch by pulling the Clutch **** (20) out and
turning it to the “OUT” position. (See Figure E.)
4. Pull out the Cable (30) to the desired length, using the “Power Out” feature
located on the Remote Control (33B). Always leave at least five turns of Cable
on the Drum (23) to prevent pulling the Cable completely out of the
Winch. (See Figures D and E.)

is step 3 wrong (disengage) or step 4 wrong (using the power out feature)

if it is disengaged, why use power out? it should be freespool at that point..
if the switch has forward and back, why would you need to switch the clutch?

Sam
Sam,
I have one 8,000 lb HF winch and the two 3,000 lb ones mentioned here. I find it rather amusing that the wireless remote version is heavier built than the wireless one but they have the same rating. The rating system is suspect at best. As you know, most if not all the HF stuff is made in China. I think your problem here is that the translation is seriously lacking. Although I bought both of these 3,000 lb winches new, (Impulse buy on sale with discount coupon), I have no illusions about their actual capability. I believe the truth is that they would do good to pull a rolling 3,000 lb load on level ground. I have the 8,000 lb winch permanently mounted inside my enclosed trailer running from two paralleled 650 amp batteries. Even it will slightly bog down if a load is stuck or is going over rough terain. Those little winches will definitely need to be doubled up with a ****** block if there are any obstructions. They are primarilly designed for ATV's in my opinion.

As for the instructions, stick them in your file cabinet. The free whelling feature is for playing out cable fast when you are taking it to the hook-up point. DO NOT EVER FREE WHEEL THE CABLE DRUM UNDER A LOAD !!! When under load , ALWAYS use the power out feature so the brake will engage when you are not playing out cable. No extra steps are required to go between power in and power out other than using the in and out button.
Also, they won't tell you this but it is often necessary to guide the cable onto the drum even though you have a fair-lead roller set on the winch. This is especially true when pulling at anything other than a right angle to the axis of the cable drum. If you get that cable pinched in an overlap under a good load, you will have a tough time getting it unwound again. Be careful! Even little winches can be dangerous. Severed fingers and cable whippings are all too common.

As for wiring, go bigger than minimum recommendation. If your using a long feed from the truck to the trailer go up at least a minimum of one wire size above recommendation. DO NOT depend on the truck and/or trailer frame for the negative ground path. Use two conductors all the way from the batteries. Excessive lenght causes voltage drop which will burn up the DC motor much faster than overvoltage. Also you should keep your truck running and charging when using the winch. If I were powering that little 3,000 lb winch from the truck I would use two #6 GA. conductors all the way. It's damn expensive, but copper welding cable is great for this. The stuff is well insulated and will handle lots of movement as it is extremely flexible. If you do the job right, the HF winch will probably be the cheapest part of your system.

Later Man...

Old 07-03-2008, 12:57 PM
sdetweil
Post Fiend
Thanks Dave, the question about power out and freewheel is important for me, as the little portable HF winch (3000lb hitch mount), has power in and freewheel only, which I discovered too late last year.. good thing I practice avoidance skills .. if you are not behind something, it cannot roll over you.
make sure there is some form of stop behind whatever, in case it gets away..
and we always stay away from the cable & winch head, lest the cable become a live whipping snake. Guy here was killed last year after the rope he was using to pull a vehicle loose broke and ripped his arm off at the shoulder on the way back to the puller cause he had his hand on the rope midway..

I wanted the 8000 lb winch, but can't bring myself to spend that($319) on a twice a year use tool. But i just bought new to me replacement tires for the trailer, after blowing one last weekend.

sam

Old 07-04-2008, 10:41 AM
AXracer
Post Fiend
AXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud of
I just bought a new set of trailer tires after one of mine blew and shreaded. I would highly suggest anyone needing trailer tires buy Denman brand trailer tires. They are the best trailer tire on the market (but not well known since they make only impliment and trailer tires, but they are easily ordered by any tire dealer) and available up to a class E load rating (10 ply) in 225 15, the most commonly used size on vehicle trailers. Use no less than a class D on a 4 wheel trailer. Best part is the Denmans are less expensive than the more commonly carried brands with a lower rating. Make sure you check the inflation pressure before EVERY use and keep them inflated to the max pressure printed on the sidewall. Increase the cold pressure by 10# over max if planning on towing at over 55 MPH. Be sure to use the same pressure gauge each time, and use one where the target pressure is near the center of the gauge's range for accuracy. I needed to buy a 0-150# gauge (long stick type sold for trucks) to keep tabs on my tires which call for a cold pressure of 80#. Under inflated tires will not last long!

Old 07-04-2008, 12:18 PM
dave boley
Posting Guru
dave boley is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.dave boley is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Just checked something...

Thanks Dave, the question about power out and freewheel is important for me, as the little portable HF winch (3000lb hitch mount), has power in and freewheel only, which I discovered too late last year.. good thing I practice avoidance skills .. if you are not behind something, it cannot roll over you.sam

Sam,
I just checked out that little wireless remote controlled 3,000 lb HF winch. It must be different than yours because it has power out as well as in. It only free-wheels when you disengage it with a pull-out **** at the end of the drum. The only thing I don't like about the remote is that it is not a dead-man type control. When you push either the in or out buttom it keeps going until you push it again. Not the safest way to do it...

Later Man...

Old 07-04-2008, 01:37 PM
sdetweil
Post Fiend
This Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices is what I HAVE today.. Bought 6 yrs ago I think to pull my sons miata onto a trailer after an accident, 500 miles away. it did the job, and has done ok for the things that roll.

when we brought the 54 home from the blaster last fall, I thought it had power out, and released it, oops, the truck rolled off the trailer by itself..!!

only the one truck whos brakes were locked to the drums was a problem. better tools would have helped there too.. (like a jack, hammer, sockets, ratchets, breaker bar, etc)..

but its hard to steer the vehicle and pull it on with the corded control which only goes 1/2 way down the ramp... suppose I could have spent $10 for a spool of 2 wire cable and rewired it.. (and might still!)..

I picked up the wireless 3000lb (http://www.harborfreight.com/manuals...5999/95912.pdf) er from HF yesterday.. sheesh this thing is tiny..
the instructions don't say the remote keys are toggles.. they sound like momentaries to me, deadman like you (and I ) wanted.
Overall dimensions: 8" L x 9" W x 7-1/2" H; Mounting plate dimensions: 8-7/8" x 4-7/8" x 5/8"; (there is nothing 5/8 on this thing anywhere).. the mounting holes are 5/16. the plate is a little over 1/8th.

same cable size and length.. 3/16 and 30ft..

Sam

Old 07-04-2008, 10:19 PM
dave boley
Posting Guru
I picked up the wireless 3000lb (http://www.harborfreight.com/manuals...5999/95912.pdf) er from HF yesterday.. sheesh this thing is tiny..
the instructions don't say the remote keys are toggles.. they sound like momentaries to me, deadman like you (and I ) wanted.

Sam
Hi Sam,
Yeah, that's the same one I have. If you tear apart that other thing I saw in that picture, you will see an even smaller motor. Harbor freight has another 3,000 lb model, http://www.harborfreight.com/manuals...1999/91781.pdf , which is bigger and heavier. I have one of those too.

I bought the wireless remote winch for my Scoobygator, (click on it to see it). The thing probably won't weigh ove 1,500 lbs so I figured the 3,000 lb winch would be handy mounted on a 2" square tube that could be slid into either the front or rear hitch receiver for pulling out of a bog.

Later Man...

Old 07-04-2008, 11:39 PM
sdetweil
Post Fiend
the 91781 and 95912 both have the same cable (3/16), but slightly longer cable, 45 vs 30ft, but the same rating (3000lb).. about the only thing I can see is that the drum on 91781 is wider, so first row pull will be longer.

Ah, I think you've just convinced me where the extra $20 value is, also have to buy the mounting plate.. back to HF tomorow!.. but I will loose the remote.. so extra control wire too..

Sam

Old 07-05-2008, 08:27 AM
dave boley
Posting Guru
No influence intended...

the 91781 and 95912 both have the same cable (3/16), but slightly longer cable, 45 vs 30ft, but the same rating (3000lb).. about the only thing I can see is that the drum on 91781 is wider, so first row pull will be longer.

Ah, I think you've just convinced me where the extra $20 value is, also have to buy the mounting plate.. back to HF tomorow!.. but I will loose the remote.. so extra control wire too..

Sam
Sam,
The 91781 motor is bigger too. I didn't sucker for the mounting plate. The stores probably don't stock it anyway. I made my own mounting from a piece of channel. Hey, I gotta justify all those machine tools somehow.

I had no intention of convincing you. Truth is, I have never really used either one of these winches. It was just a matter of buying them because of sale prices and those discount coupons. There is also the fact that I have never been able to drive by that place without stopping, and when I do go there I CAN'T leave empty handed. My adicition has turned into a closet thing. I have been known to buy their stuff and remove the stick-on yellow labels that show for fifty feet.

Later Man...

Old 07-05-2008, 11:26 AM
sdetweil
Post Fiend
Yep, no channel to be had.. and I don't have the materials around..
so the smaller one will have to do for now..

Sam

Old 07-06-2008, 07:53 AM
sdetweil
Post Fiend
I used the smaller with remote to unload the 55 off the trailer tonight so I can go get the 56. worst case, the buttons are deadman, they will only run for about 1.5 ft of cable per push on the out side.. on in, if you hold the button, it will go solid after 5 cycles, but stops after 2 ft of cable again if you let up.

worked pretty well.. put it this way.. I couldn't have done this by myself with the other winch with no power out. so it wins!!.. this afternoon we will see how it pulls. taking the portable winch anyhow (its in the tongue box anyhow).

Sam