1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

My truck got hit!

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2008, 12:24 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,610 Likes on 1,454 Posts
My truck got hit!

My truck got hit last week by eggs! My wife was setting up for a yard sale so my truck sat outside last Wed. night. Most of you know I am a teacher. Well, it could be co-incidence but report cards were in the mail Wed. I went out Thursday morning saw the eggs, started to wash them off and thought I would call the insurance agent first. They told me to drive the truck to the office so they can take some pictures. The girl told me to go to 1 of the 3 body shops they deal with to get it painted or go get some estimates from others.

I went home and washed the truck. No damage except where the eggs hit the trucks. You can see the egg-zact (pun intended) spot where the eggs hit. There is a round series of paint chips about the size of an egg on the right front fender and the right side of the hood.

I have Classic Car insurance through State Farm. It only costs about $5 a month. There is only a $50 deductible. I have yet to take the truck to a body shop as I was busy this week, but will do it soon.

The only down side was that it was the right fender I had painted last fall after I had scratched it with a sled.

If you are looking for insurance check out State Farm's classic insurance. All I had to do was take the truck to the office and prove that it was a classic in good condition. Then I named my estimated replacement price.

Old 06-29-2008, 12:31 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Boy, that sucks, insurance or not! You're lucky the eggs' acids didn't do worse. Around here the "cool trick" is to squirt shampoo on a victim's car. You wouldn't believe what it does!

Old 06-29-2008, 12:59 PM
55 f350
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
find 'em and let the parents pay !!!!! that'd be the thing to do but seeing as that probably wont happen make a list of the suspects and lie in wait and egg them as they walk bye ..........

Old 06-29-2008, 01:09 PM
Rich55
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry about the truck.................. thank god that they only threw eggs...............
RICH

Old 06-29-2008, 02:18 PM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
That's a great tip about the insurance abe, Thanks.

That's horrible about your truck. At a minimum I know that eggs do "Spider Web Crack" the paint. But if it's hot and you don't get to it on time, it will bond to the paint and bake hard. So I guess it could be worse.

Eggs are really one of natures little marvels when it comes to strength. I know you think I'm nuts because they are easy to crack. But that's just it: that baby chick can break through it, but if you put one in the palm of your hand and try to break it by wrapping your fingers around it and squeezing (keep your fingers together) you can't break it - try it!

I have a small video camera mounted in my garage and driveway (had a stalker once) and it slow records directly onto a video disc that recycles every 48 hours - Radio Shack- less than $100. I caught the neighborhood kid thug (you know - the one who is always getting into trouble tha tthe cops know by his first name) stealing a few tools from my garage once. Man were his parents surprised when they saw that tape after they got in front of the judge and LIED about what a pristine little kid Jr was and how I was just harrassing him ("molesting" was the term their lawyer used). That video really came in handy. Since, I've caught him twice trying to vandalize my property and just keep tapping his daddys paycheck via the judge for damage, distress, legal fees.

Maybe in your case after you egg the kids back, you should shoot the parents too.

J!

Old 06-29-2008, 03:13 PM
vintage56
Elder User
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
real sorry to hear about your truck, Abe.
hope it gets righted easily.

is there a mileage restriction on that policy?

JML

Old 06-29-2008, 03:24 PM
imlowr2
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If it was grades that causes a person to do harm to someone's paint job, that is pretty low. Not only is this stunt harmful to your trucks paint, it's a hassle going through having it fixed and insurance claims. Just like everything else here in CA, they have to do everything one step better. I read some reports that there is a group of idiots that attend car shows and take several syringes ( probably stole them from a diabetic) and fill them full of brake fluid. They walk around the best paint jobs and squirt the fluid on the hood etc. when no one is looking. As you know brake fluid is clear but lifts the paint real quick like. We're talking new paint job. Sure wish I could catch one of these individuals so they can meet my buddy Smith & Wesson. Sorry to hear about your truck Abe.

Old 06-29-2008, 05:58 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
First, my heart dropped when I saw the title of your post. I imagined the worse but at least you have insurance and the damage, although bad, isn't nearly as bad as having someone take the front end of the truck.

I have my trucks insured throught American Family. I've had AF ever since I started driving 30 years ago. Unlike many of my friends in high school, and later, I have never driven a day without coverage. It was a rule instituted my dad, and a very good one. AF didn't always insure classic vehicles but about f5-6 years they started. Before that I had another insurance company for my truck. When I signed up for AF coverage I had to get my F-2 appraised by a AF claims office and with the panel I just had to tell the agent what I had invested in it. I don't have total finished value coverage because I don't have the truck completely done but it covered for what I have in it.

Brake fluid and eggs will do a number on paint but acrylic urethane is pretty tough stuff I and know it will hold up against brake fluid. I have spilled some on the floor of my cab went I filled the master cylinder and nothing happens. I don't know how it stands up to eggs, I've never had the pleasure of testing it.

Abe, just glad nothing super serious happened to the truck, and insurance is covering it.

Old 06-29-2008, 06:42 PM
WALFORD'S 56
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yea-I imagined the worst,also--thank God it was ok though. I hope it buffs out or you get satisfaction,Abe. I am glad you gave us the insurance tip.
I had my new van pummeled by a pop can(full) unopened and it left a nasty dent--and 2 weeks later another same accident to my sisters car-and the culprit was my old neighbor and I sent the cops to his door. He is paying for the damage--the dirtbag!!! I know what you are going through...Bill

Old 06-29-2008, 09:35 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,610 Likes on 1,454 Posts
Thanks for all your concern. I am sorry if the title of my post gave you a scare, but I wanted to get your attention so you would read the post. Maybe I went over the top!

JML, I don't think there is a mileage restriction, but it can;t be for a daily driver. Also, you have to have one or more other cars insured by State Farm. I think the rates are so low because the insurance company knows we don't drive these vehicle all the time and we take care of them and certainly don;t drive recklessly with them.

Old 06-29-2008, 09:44 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
When I signed up for my American Family policy I asked my agent if I could drive the trucks to work, and since I plan to letter them and use them for promoting my business, could I use them for the occasional delivery. He said it was fine. As far as I can remember I have no mileage restrictions. The rates are also very low, off hand I don't know what the rates are, my wife handles paying the bills. I make the money, she spends it.

I've had very good service from AF in the last 30 years. The few times I have had claim problems I was able to have them cleared up in a short time. The last time I had building damage and was told I didn't have coverage, after a few phone calls they took care of it and I got reimbursed for the damage.

Old 06-29-2008, 10:40 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Crud, AF doesn't do Texas..

Sam

Old 06-30-2008, 06:27 AM
needhelp49
Elder User
its to bad about the truck and nope ar dosnt serve fl ether thay droped me when i moved there

Old 06-30-2008, 06:43 AM
kripfink
Junior User
Sorry to hear about your truck, but reading some of the replies, I can't believe you have cops and a judicial system that makes parents pay up for their kids misbehaviour. If any of those incidents had happened over here, and I tried to get the cops involved, nothing would happen, except a lot of cop laughter!And then even if, by some miracle, someone caught the b******d responsible I'd probably end up paying damages and court costs for the psychological trauma the whole thing inflicted on them, and the physical damage caused to his wrist from the strain of throwing the eggs. The lunatics have taken over the asylum over here!

Old 06-30-2008, 09:38 AM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Originally Posted by kripfink
Sorry to hear about your truck, but reading some of the replies, I can't believe you have cops and a judicial system that makes parents pay up for their kids misbehaviour. If any of those incidents had happened over here, and I tried to get the cops involved, nothing would happen, except a lot of cop laughter!And then even if, by some miracle, someone caught the b******d responsible I'd probably end up paying damages and court costs for the psychological trauma the whole thing inflicted on them, and the physical damage caused to his wrist from the strain of throwing the eggs. The lunatics have taken over the asylum over here!
Yeah, there's lunatics here who want to emulate your health care system, which is run by the same people , but that's another subject for different board.