Sponsored by:

Looking at an Ex - Some Questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 06:06 PM
vjstangelo
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking at an Ex - Some Questions

I am likely taking a drive to look at a used Ex tomorrow and had two questions.

Regarding the second row seat, does the bench leather seat fold down flat? In pictures it looks like the bottom folds up first (against the front seat), then the back folds down to the floor. With our Expedition we typically fold the second row flat so our pooch has a flat place to lie down on trips.

I would like to add a DVD player for long trips. Is is doable and about how much am I looking at?

Thanks

Old 06-26-2008, 07:28 PM
VaSheriff
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by vjstangelo
I would like to add a DVD player for long trips. Is is doable and about how much am I looking at? Thanks
I have never folded my seats down, so I will let somebody else answer that question. I think it's pictured in the owner's manuals which you can download in PDF format on the Internet here......

Ford Excursion Owners Manual and more | Analog Stereo

As far as a nice DVD system, much better than the overhead FORD system in my opinion, see what I did in this subject.....

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/6...s-2000-ex.html

Old 06-27-2008, 06:08 AM
X_Hemi_Guy
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
The second row does in deed fold flat.

You are right in that the bottom flips up first. You then pull the head rests out of the back and insert them into the bottom that is flipped up against the front seats (you will see where they insert...it is obvious)...THEN you fold the backs of the bench forward (without the headrests they fit perfectly). there are two boards on the back of the middle bench...these are used to fill the gap between the middle row and rear floor of the Ex to make a flush surface.

Hope that helps.

Good luck and happy shopping...remember that values on these vehicles has really dropped since the fuel price increase...some dealers in my area won't even take large SUV's on trade...use that to YOUR advantage. Don't let them use Blue Book value or anything...these are commodities...and right now...for you...these commodities are low in price to BUY...

Let us know how it goes.

joe.

Old 06-28-2008, 03:48 PM
vjstangelo
Junior User
No Deal

Well, the dealer felt he had gold and wouldn't come down to my price. He was showing me KBB's with prices of $23,000 saying his price of $16,000 was well below "book" value. Today I've had two calls to my house asking if I had rethought. Thanks, but no thanks. I'll keep looking as there are plenty on the market.

Old 06-28-2008, 05:03 PM
VaSheriff
Postmaster
Well, the dealer felt he had gold and wouldn't come down to my price. He was showing me KBB's with prices of $23,000 saying his price of $16,000 was well below "book" value. Today I've had two calls to my house asking if I had rethought. Thanks, but no thanks. I'll keep looking as there are plenty on the market.
I don't know what you're looking at, but a 2002 diesel Limited Excursion with 50,000 miles on it has a KBB sugested retail of $23,165 right now in my zip code. Private party sale from one person to another person is $17,105. Trade-in value is $13,375.

In my opinion, $16,000 is an excellent price if you could get this vehicle for this price.

Sounds like you want to pick one up for trade-in value. And I doubt that's going to happen right now unless a dealership has an Excursion sit on the used car lot for 6 months with no interest from any prospective buyer(s). You have shown this dealership the interest is out there right now, so I don't they will come down much lower than $16,000 right now.

Keep in mind that my example above was of a pretty low mileage vehicle. They are few and far between nowadays in diesels. And relatively hard to find in a V-10 as well.

Old 06-28-2008, 08:32 PM
Yesprofit
Senior User
Also, as you are looking, make sure and you hop up and view the top of the vehicle. I have seen some with some pretty good scratches on them from trying to fit in places they shouldn't! This is something that you would normally see on regular cars, but a beast like this is something that you normally can't see the top!

Old 06-29-2008, 01:08 AM
weekendwarriorfsw32
Master of Strokes

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
I was wondering are we talking gas or Diesel here?

Old 06-29-2008, 06:00 PM
vjstangelo
Junior User
It's a gasser, 6.8L V10. Note the dealer called me twice yesterday to see what we could do to get the deal. I'm re-thinking the price and may counter again on Tuesday. I really do like the truck and it would tow our 25' TT nicely.

Old 06-29-2008, 09:32 PM
VaSheriff
Postmaster
It's a gasser, 6.8L V10. Note the dealer called me twice yesterday to see what we could do to get the deal. I'm re-thinking the price and may counter again on Tuesday. I really do like the truck and it would tow our 25' TT nicely.
OK, V-10. We can better tell you what it's really worth if you know the model year and current mileage.

Old 06-30-2008, 11:26 AM
orangebyke
Junior User
I am likely taking a drive to look at a used Ex tomorrow and had two questions.

Regarding the second row seat, does the bench leather seat fold down flat? In pictures it looks like the bottom folds up first (against the front seat), then the back folds down to the floor. With our Expedition we typically fold the second row flat so our pooch has a flat place to lie down on trips.

I would like to add a DVD player for long trips. Is is doable and about how much am I looking at?

Thanks
in case you still have the need, i have the complete rear seat entertainment system ncluding the 6-disc in dash radio with the dvd player and remote and the head phones for sale. (see i told you complete). PM me if interested and we can talk.

Old 06-30-2008, 02:17 PM
Paul T
More Turbo
I just bought a 2003 V10 Limited with 66,000 miles for $14,851. The price they want sounds a little high to me also. It would be a good price if it was a diesel.

Old 06-30-2008, 02:43 PM
H1449-6
More Turbo
Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
You should be able to get a gasser of that year/mileage for $12-14K. Drop back to an '00 and a few more miles and you could be at under $10K easily.

Just make the dealer your final, best offer and walk if he doesn't take it.

Old 06-30-2008, 02:46 PM
H1449-6
More Turbo
Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Yesprofit
Also, as you are looking, make sure and you hop up and view the top of the vehicle. I have seen some with some pretty good scratches on them from trying to fit in places they shouldn't! This is something that you would normally see on regular cars, but a beast like this is something that you normally can't see the top!
Plus some of them had paint issues, either because of the rack scraping on the truck or because of bad paint. So I've heard. Neither of the two I've owned have suffered from this problem.

Old 06-30-2008, 04:24 PM
vjstangelo
Junior User
OK here are the specifics. It's a 2005 Limited with 45,000 miles, V10, 4x4. The tires will have to be replaced as it looks like the previous owner was a terrible driver and has gouged the sidewalls pretty bad. It has some cosmetic issues on the inside, but all in all it looks good on the outside.

I'm replacing my 1999 Expedition as it is getting up there in age (111,000 miles) and we are planning a trip west to Yellowstone. I don't want the trip ruined by a breakdown as my vacation is precious to me as I get so little of it.

How about the V10? I recall the earlier versions, like the 5.4, blew plugs on occasion (my 4.6, thankfully, never did that). My reading on the forums is that Ford fixed this problem by 2005.

Thanks to all for your input.

Old 06-30-2008, 04:36 PM
VaSheriff
Postmaster
OK here are the specifics. It's a 2005 Limited with 45,000 miles, V10, 4x4.
$16,000 is a super excellent "no room for negotiation" price for that truck.

Quick Reply: Looking at an Ex - Some Questions