Welcome Surfcitywriter to our chapter

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 11:14 AM
fastmover
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Welcome Surfcitywriter to our chapter

Hey everyone,

I want to welcome surfcitywriter (Tom) to our chapter. Tom lives in the Santa Cruz area. Here is some information he shared:

I own a '02 F150, 4.6L, supercab, shortbed 4x4...I use the rig for trips into Baja and the Sierras with a Four Wheel pop-up camper...I go for extended surf tips into Baja every January...I'm purchasing a 5th wheel from a neighbor soon for more extended trips in the future...I was having a dilemna trying to figure out how to pull it with my current truck....the 5th is only 4,500 lbs, but with the 4.6L motor would be a stretch and strain on the small V8...I put these concerns up on the trailer and towing forum on FTE and the main agreement is that if I plan to tow it more than just once or twice a year, I need atleast a 5.4L F150...4,500 lbs is within the F150 capacity but would bog down with the 4.6L...so, I'm probably gonna just drop the 5th on our property in Bonny Doon ( Santa Cruz mountains) for now until I can find a decent 5.4 L to buy...my '02 only has 70K on it so I'm not real thrilled to off it yet, but might consider a trade deal or something if the right 5.4L showed up...also know a lot about 4x4ing in Baja, on the west coast, if that is of any interest to anyone... thats my life at the moment..
While I am not sure about the 5.4 L vs 4.6L debate (I have a 6.4L ) I think it is great you are using the forums. The NorCal Chapter is made up of a diverse group of truck owners with interests ranging from diesel power, restoring old classics, mud racing, 4X4ing, street racing, getting the highest mpg possible, trying to keep their trucks going, to working on their new trucks and making them better.

This group is great at helping with information, technical experience, and giving a hand when possible. We are going to have a get together on July 12th in Sacramento. Look at BigEarl's thread. We have a group project of building a mudracer named Thumper. We also just like to chat about what's up in our lives.

If you get a chance, please check out the "Getting-to-know-you" thread and post any more info you want to share.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/5...-know-you.html
Welcome aboard Tom.

Karl

Old 06-25-2008, 12:48 PM
bigearl1369
Senior User
welcome surfcitywriter to our lil but growing daily corner of the world nice to have another fte in our group
Earl W. AKA bigearl1369

Old 06-26-2008, 11:30 AM
barry59
Freshman User
Howdy

Welcome aboard!

Old 06-26-2008, 11:46 AM
mcculloughrp
Senior User
Welcome Buddy. I enjoy going four wheeling some friends. Usually I am the rider. Never seem to be able to get a rig together, and now that I am married the wife wants to get quads. So i think we will take that route. It will prove to be more fun for her.

Old 06-27-2008, 12:25 AM
th1567
Senior User
Welcome...I am a newbie too...don't know much about the new tech Fords...but then again I don't know much about the old ones either... I have found this the most informative place to get information about my truck...I have a guess you will too. Pardon me if this is a bit long winded.

Don't anyone shoot me but I had a 1996 Dodge Van with a V-6 3.9 Litre...and that thing pulled my 18 foot enclosed trailer.....all over..everywhere....without any problems..oh we didn't get there fast, but a 1970 Ford F250 fit inside that trailer with just a few inches to spare...I drug that home from Oakdale to Morgan Hill....so that's about 6500 pounds altogether over Pacheco....dropped it 2nd and just kept on keeping on...aside from that we hauled countless loads of mail to the post office with that trailer loaded front to back as a part of my business......I had added a tranny cooler but we did have to rebuilt the tranny at about 200K...and the engine still had some life in it after 275K~ when I sold it to some Gypsies for $500. Don't laugh, mail is heavy...especially cages of catalogs that weigh 1200 pounds each...and you've got 6 or more strapped in.... Hey, between the Gypsies and the mail, who could make this stuff up?!?

Point. There is one. The differences in those two V8s 4.6 and 5.4 may seem like a lot when you stack em up side by side...but if you take it easy and don't push it....the smaller of the two will most likely suit your towing needs when you have them for some time to come...

That's my two cents, which might not worth be a plug nickel...

All the best, all the way.

TH1567 car guy
I've got mixed emotions about saying I've owned about 30 vehicles since I'm 16...and I'm just 41...By far ...Fords are the superior all around every day vehicle...but I do like dodge vans...I own one now...and it's my second one...

Old 06-27-2008, 02:00 AM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 123 Likes on 119 Posts
welcome to the chapter Surfcitywriter. I am sure you will enjoy it here.

Old 06-27-2008, 02:49 AM
sierraben
Post Fiend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Welcome surfcitywriter.

I too, am a newbie.

It's a great site.

Tons of information.