6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Cold air intake-good or bad

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 02:18 PM
danocross
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cold air intake-good or bad

Hey techies, I know a thimble full about cold air intakes. I am looking at a '06 to replace my '03 PSD, and it has "cold air intake"...is that good or bad, and seller was a little clueless on it, is that an after-market deal or a Ford item?

Thanks again for any help.

Old 06-24-2008, 07:16 PM
Sarge261
Logistics Pro
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
That is an aftermarket deal for sure. The stock intake and filter will flow enough air to support 500 hp. If they have the old one get that too and put it back on. Put the cold air kit on ebay and get rid of it. Stock is good enough. It also holds a ton of dirt and only needs to be changed when the filter minder tells you too. I had an AFE and put the stock one back on.

Sarge

Old 06-24-2008, 09:44 PM
StealmyTruck
Junior User
Damn, everytime I see a post like this I see the same exact answer every time. 500 horse power, ton of dirt, blah blah wawwawwaaaaw. Put a K&N on that sucker and oil the hell out of it. You'll feel the POWER I promise! LMAO!!

Old 06-24-2008, 09:47 PM
SteveBricks
FTE Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by StealmyTruck
Damn, everytime I see a post like this I see the same exact answer every time.
Think about that for a minute.

Could it be because it's true?

Old 06-25-2008, 08:42 AM
Sarge261
Logistics Pro
I wouldnt recommned "oiling the hell out of it" cause you can and most likeky will destroy the MAF sensor. MAF sensors dont like oil wether its a gas or diesel engine. The jist of this is that the guy asked a question and I gave him an answer to it, you can run what you want its just that when the turbo fails and Ford denys a claim dont say we told you. There is a post on here that denied head gaskets because of a tuner, AFE intake, and exhaust system. I agree that they have a leg to stand on with the tuner, however if you have excess wear on the intake side impellers and you have a CAI, you can probably bet your sweet a$$ they are going to deny a warranty claim. Word on the street is Ford is crakin down.

I personally have a Banks CAI on mine its fully enclosed. It came with the truck and some day I will buy a stocker and put it back on. Right now I am not driving the truck so I dont feel the need to spend the $$. However if one comes along I will buy it. With that being said my dealer, Latham Ford, has been excellent service wise and has not denied any claims due to the A/M parts which are in my sig. And yes it has had a turbo, crossover pipe, and EGR valve and cooler replaced.

Not trying to falme, but I would like the original poster to have ALL the facts that he was asking for. Everyone has there own opinions which is what makes this forum great. But we need to give the facts too so that people can make an educated decision not just yeah go out and buy one. For someone who may only tow a little and not have any mods a stock intake will do just fine. He could spend that 300.00 somewhere else like.....2 atnks of fuel.

Rant Over!!

Sarge

Last edited by Sarge261; 06-25-2008 at 08:44 AM. Reason: I cant spell
Old 06-25-2008, 11:24 AM
BowTieHatr
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
great job sarge. i agree with the stock unit 100%.

Old 06-26-2008, 09:10 AM
Keeseter CO
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
K&n.

Originally Posted by BowTieHatr
great job sarge. i agree with the stock unit 100%.
Well this was a timely post. Was listening to a story of a buddy doing it with his 97 and the size of his grin from power and MPG was starting to convince me, so I thought i'd refer to the forum.

Nicely done, thanks for the information.

Old 06-26-2008, 02:23 PM
adambomb
Posting Guru
i just bought a AFE Stage I Magnum Force inclosed intake system that is a direct replacement for the stock air box. i can't tell if it improve my MPG's because i haven't ran a full tank yet. but i can tell that my truck smokes a LOT less than it did with they stock system. i run a conservatively tuned Hybrid Race program from Spartan and w/ my injectors and stock turbo i could really smoke out the place when lugging it at low boost. this is a good thing for me because i know smoke is just un-burnt fuel so now my truck must be running more efficiently.

Old 06-26-2008, 06:31 PM
doubledee715
Elder User
Everyone says "it supports 500hp" because they see everyone else saying that. I've never seen anything that proves that. I don't doubt it I just never tell anybody that. If the seller was clueless about it, imagine what else he was clueless about. Good luck.

Old 06-27-2008, 07:02 AM
Sarge261
Logistics Pro
Like I said I do run an CAI, however I run one that is also fully enclosed. I dont know if it helps with debris however it makes me feel better. I can remove the cover if I wanted to. I thing the jist of this thread was to inform the OP of the fact that he wont really see a power or mileage improvement. I never did. If I offened anybody I am sorry that was not my intent. My intent was to inform. The only reason that I have the CAI is cause the wife bought it for me as a gift. So I put it on. Like I said I see no real measureable improvements. I would rather her spent the money on a good set of guages or put it twords a tuner. Maybe just use the money twords the ever growing fuel cost.

Again My Appoligizes, Sometimes I dont think I just type.

Sarge

Old 06-27-2008, 11:44 AM
HeavyAssault
Cargo Master
Received 203 Likes on 109 Posts
Staying stock will provide piece of mind if the turbo dies. My local tech told me directly from Ford "Aftermarket intakes= NO turbo warranty coverage". 30k to go and then maybe I'll switch intakes..................MAYBE.

Old 06-27-2008, 09:33 PM
FORDSDOWNER
Elder User
Originally Posted by HeavyAssault
Staying stock will provide piece of mind if the turbo dies. My local tech told me directly from Ford "Aftermarket intakes= NO turbo warranty coverage". 30k to go and then maybe I'll switch intakes..................MAYBE.

Yup, Unless you can afford it. I'd wait too.

Old 06-27-2008, 11:54 PM
KRDiesel
Postmaster
I have tested the K&N kit and the stock intake with a new filter back to back at the track. There was no difference between them in the 1/4. When I have talked to Spartan he did not recommend it with my setup.

I see from your profile that you live in AZ. If I remember AZ has sand!! Sand will kill the turbo in a heart beat. I live in the land of sand and have 140,000 on my original turbo.

Old 06-28-2008, 01:22 AM
Saber123316
Senior User
It depends on what you are doing. imho if your city/highway cruising it can't hurt.

My father has a AEM HD bruteforce on his 6.0 and he noticed a small mileage increase and I even noticed a change in the the pull of the truck. with nitrous intake and exhaust and a good tune some guys are breaking into 13's

I would much rather recommend the zoodad mod and accufab elbow or CFM+ intake elbow. and get a free flowing exhaust for Mileage and a decent econo tune. should be plenty happy.

Old 06-28-2008, 06:49 AM
D8chumley
Resident smarta$$
Originally Posted by StealmyTruck
Damn, everytime I see a post like this I see the same exact answer every time. 500 horse power, ton of dirt, blah blah wawwawwaaaaw. Put a K&N on that sucker and oil the hell out of it. You'll feel the POWER I promise! LMAO!!
I said this before but it bears repeating here. My truck came with a K&N and it was just about white, as in not oiled. So I " oiled the hell out of it". Within a week or 2 it was back to being almost white. Hmmm... wonder where that oil went? I now have a stocker Just my .02

Quick Reply: Cold air intake-good or bad