Oklahoma Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:

Wanna Share Your Local Restaurant Reviews?....

Old 03-21-2012, 11:53 AM
cigarxtc
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Wanna Share Your Local Restaurant Reviews?....

I like to check on the reviews of local restaurants before i dine out occassionally. It's interesting to see who has bad service, food, prices, etc. It's also interesting to see the good reviews on the establishments. Google and some other sites have sections where you can post reviews but you have to sign up for a membership. I am signed up to enough online sites that i'd rather not sign up for more just to post my restaurant reviews.

I thought 'well if i'm not signing up to post my reviews there are probably quite a few other people doing the same.' Just imagine how many good/bad/other reviews could be added to the restaurant reviews.

So i figured maybe there would be interest in this OK forum to add your personal reviews that us locals might find useful for local eateries.

I'll start:

This past weekend we ordered take out BBQ from Legends in Owasso. The price was fair; $28 for three smoked meats, a pint of cole slaw, pint of potato salad, pint of tabouli, and 5 slices of texas toast, pickles, and onions. The order was ready for pickup in about 15 min, the food was excellent, and the price was very reasonable. It fed our family of 4 for supper and we had leftovers for lunch the next day.

Here's another one: Yesterday we went to Taco Bueno in Owasso. The food did not look like it did on the commercials. The street fish tacos were tiny fish stick slivers, the food trays and wrappers were generic. The taste of all the tacos, burritos, nachos, and salsa were nothing spectacular. Kinda bland to tell the truth. And the whopper was it all cost $25 bucks. That is a lot of money for mexican fast food. Yikes. We could have spent that much at Baja Jacks and gotten excellent food with better salsa and ingredients. Dont think we'll be going back to Taco Bueno anytime soon.

Old 03-22-2012, 07:50 AM
MikeB 88
Fleet Mechanic
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree, Legends is our favorite BBQ place in Owasso. Usually get a small family pack, feeds us with left overs for the next day. I like going on Friday evenings, when there is some entertainment.

Taco Bueno is usually their Nacho Salad. I think it's a fair value. However, I'm the only one that likes it, so I hardly get to go. Others in the house prefer Taco Bell, which I don't really have to much good to say about it.

Our favorite place to eat is Baja Jacks. Get a Build Your Own Burrito (BYOB) and I guarantee it will be the best you've ever had. Mainly because it the ingredients that you want!!! They are opening their 2nd location in south Tulsa.

The new chicken place on 76th (forget the name) has got a good three piece chunk dinner plate. Choose your sides, but their large drink is equal to other places small/medium.

Andolini's has some pretty good pizza, but for some reason, I prefer the pizza from Papa Murphy's. Maybe because I bring it home and bake it myself.

Old 03-23-2012, 06:57 PM
MikeB 88
Fleet Mechanic
Baja Breakfast benefit tomorrow morning 9-11am to support the fight against Lung Cancer. Owasso Fire is raising money to be donated to fight lung cancer, show your support tomorrow morning from 9-11am....enjoy some Baja Breakfast to support a good cause. 25% of sales from 9-11am will be donated.

They have an excellent breakfast, and only for fund raisers!!

Old 03-25-2012, 01:16 PM
jwtimme
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
for Mexican food I go to el tequila in Tulsa, its fast cheap and the closest thing to real Mexican food you can find in a place that don't look like a dump hole. (most maxican around here is horrible compared to south Texas and mexico)

Bueno is what it is, fast food, I eat there often but don't expect quality. bell is not bad but never go to taco mayo unless u like to sit on the pot, nasty.

I don't eat at rib crib unless someone else is buying, I built the owners house and he is a dick so no since in supporting him, and there ribs are boiled too long makes them not taste as good.

best BBQ I have had in Oklahoma is at head county restaurant in ponca city

Old 03-25-2012, 04:18 PM
MikeB 88
Fleet Mechanic
The El Tequila up here in Owasso, is great. Watching the waiters there is almost like watching a show. They all help each other out, no matter what table needs service. Glasses are never empty, plus their Margarita's are simply delicious!! My wife and I get a grande one and split between the two of us. Plus it's not very expensive.

Old 03-30-2012, 08:51 AM
ctubutis
Received 71 Likes on 55 Posts
IMHO most Mexican food in the US is Americanized, some more so than others. I had a burrito in NYC once, it was almost awful, shoulda had a Philly Cheesesteak Sandwich or pizza or sumthin'.

Me & Gary went to a Mexican place in Skiatook a few weeks ago, it was OK but nothing to write home about. I was honestly hoping for something a little more authentic at a podunk town down in OK but this wasn't the place.

In my experience, the "real" tortillas are handmade and dripping in grease (for example).

The BBQ place was pretty good, though.

Old 03-30-2012, 09:10 AM
bruno2
Postmaster
Most of the El Tequilas are really good. I eat at the one in Broken Arrow a few times a month. Owasso has a really good one as well.

There isnt really any good BBQ around Tulsa anymore. You have to go out of town Pryor,Pawhuska,Skiatook to get anything good.

JW, that story about the Rib Crib owner is funny. We did a house for the guy that owns Broken Arrow
electric (supply house). That guy is a total dick. He built a big custom in a neighborhood that was right
across a pond from the house he lived in at the time. He was on the job constantly and he when he wasnt he could see the house he was building from where he was living. He waited until we tore down a huge scaffold on part of his house to complain about something he had two weeks to pick at. I told him we werent building the scaffold back and fixing anything and he should have mentioned it in before. Then he told me that my guys were picking up the copper wire scraps off of his job. I have known all of my employees for several yrs and they wouldnt do that w/o asking first. Besides that none of them are scrappers. So I asked them anyways. Turns out the plumbers helper was picking up the scraps, but , he didnt hold anything back on accusing us first w/o proof. The helper was a kid and didnt think he was doing anything wrong. So of course the dick told the plumber not to bring the kid back that he didnt want thieves on his job.

I have had the opportunity to work for some extremely wealthy people around Tulsa. A lot of them are very nice people, but , there are a few that are almost intolerable. We work for the family that owns the Citizen Security Banks(we are on one of their houses now)and they are great people. Very down to earth and polite.

Old 03-30-2012, 10:25 AM
jwtimme
Laughing Gas
I must get a bad batch of people because 90 percent of the people I build houses for are complete pains in the ***. They have money and they like to let you know they have money and their **** don't stink. In fact we went about 6 years with out building housed because it got so bad. Economy tanked and we needed the work so back to houses. Guess that home owner would have fired me because I pick up most of the copper scrap off my jobs, if not it goes in the dumpster or a real thief comes by and takes it and more out of the walls. The citizen security people were very good to work around, we built the 81st and Yale branch. I cannot remember his name off the top of my head but he is a huge hunter, he even told me to call him if I ever needed a job and wanted to get back into the wildlife field.

Old 03-30-2012, 05:05 PM
bruno2
Postmaster
Originally Posted by ctubutis
IMHO most Mexican food in the US is Americanized, some more so than others. I had a burrito in NYC once, it was almost awful, shoulda had a Philly Cheesesteak Sandwich or pizza or sumthin'.

Me & Gary went to a Mexican place in Skiatook a few weeks ago, it was OK but nothing to write home about. I was honestly hoping for something a little more authentic at a podunk town down in OK but this wasn't the place.

In my experience, the "real" tortillas are handmade and dripping in grease (for example).

The BBQ place was pretty good, though.
That was probably Mack's BBQ. They used to have one in Tulsa also, but , for some reason they couldnt stay in business. They do have some excellent Q. JL's BBQ in Pryor is fantastic. Pawhuska has a place called Bad Brad's BBQ and it is extremely good as well. We used to have a place called Elmer's BBQ ("it be bad" is what the sign said)and it was really good. Then Elmer dropped dead from a heart attack and his kids took it over. They burned it down twice for the ins money. It is still in business, but , its nothing like it used to be. You get that second generation in there that didnt have to scrap and scrape to build the business and the "care" goes right out the window.

Chouteau has really good restaurants. They have an Amish buffet place called the Dutch Pantry that is very good and it is very reasonable too. They have off days, but , usually it is great. I think it is $6.99 for the buffet and that includes drink and dessert. The dessert is off the charts. They have about 6-8 different kinds of homemade pies and a few cakes as well as several different kinds of fresh cookies. Their breakfast is awesome too. Dont have breakfast there if you are going to work or do something productive because you will be helpless for and hour or two.

Old 04-17-2012, 10:35 AM
cigarxtc
Postmaster
Joe's CrabShack of Tulsa

My wife took my son and i out to Joe's Crab Shack for our birthday on Sunday. My youngest son and i share the April 15th bday. He's the best and most expensive bday present i've ever gotten. The service was great. The food was super yummy. i'm a huge seafood nut. The prices are comprable. The mozzarella stick and marinara appetizer were delicious. The trio sampler plate of calamari, jalapeno ***** and crab dip were very good too. (though nobody here beats Johnny Carino's calamari!!!) I had the bucket of three types of crab. amazing sweet succulent stuff. It came with a couple steamed red potatos and a whole ear of corn. it was way too much food but oh so good. The boys got the kids pizza meals. It wasnt very good, especially if you're used to Papa Murphy's pizza. The deserts were great too. My youngest got a build your own sunday desert. It's a plate that arrives with an icecream sandwich cut up and placed on the plate into a volcano shape. Then he can scoop caramel sauce, and chocolate sauce, and a whole tub of sprinkles on it. It was a very nice birthday dinner. My wife is awesome!

Old 04-17-2012, 11:20 PM
bruno2
Postmaster
Happy B day to you and your son Ron!

Old 04-18-2012, 07:41 AM
cigarxtc
Postmaster
Thanks bruno!

Old 04-18-2012, 08:08 AM
MikeB 88
Fleet Mechanic
Happy Birthday to you and your son. Funny that you both are tax day babies

Old 04-18-2012, 08:27 AM
cigarxtc
Postmaster
Thanks Mike. Yep, every year we get to celebrate our bdays by paying taxes. lol.

Old 04-18-2012, 11:27 PM
flip4eva83
Senior User
Sounds like most of you guys are up in the north east....also happy birthday to you and your son cigar, mine was on the 7th of april. Anyways if any of you are down this way, check out Ingrids Kitchen for some of the best german food around thats not $20 a plate, and for some BBQ check out Leos downtown okc.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Wanna Share Your Local Restaurant Reviews?....