Now I know why Burger Joints are a last Choice for oil

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 08:42 PM
Rushmore X
Logistics Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Now I know why Burger Joints are a last Choice for oil

I took home a sample of oil from the local Wendy's to titrate it before we run our 1st batch. Looked like good oil. Titrated @ 9.8 ml. twice. Thought what the heck? I went inside and titrated new virgin olive oil... .8 ml. Slightly used Soy oil - used once last Walleye fry - it titrated @ .9 ml. I think I need to get other samples from the Chinese places and Safeway (they use Canola) and forget about Wendy's.

Old 06-17-2008, 09:14 PM
MAKO314
Cargo Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
just a little FYI, I got a batch of WVO from a chinese place thar titrated at close to 12 ml that crap was way burnt!! the best I've come across was from the local High schools. they have fast food lines in the cafateria and are govt mandated to change the oil daily. the oil I get from the schools test at 0.9 - 2.5.

Mako

Old 06-17-2008, 09:33 PM
Rushmore X
Logistics Pro

hey thanks, I'll try that. School here is out for the summer though, but I can try the College.

Old 06-17-2008, 09:42 PM
Wookie35
Junior User
Trent how did you get hooked up with the Safeway there? I am in WA and trying to get going with my local Safeways and they are sending me to some guy at corporate who doesn't reply to voice mail... any pointers would be great!

Old 06-18-2008, 04:39 PM
Rushmore X
Logistics Pro

Originally Posted by Wookie35
Trent how did you get hooked up with the Safeway there? I am in WA and trying to get going with my local Safeways and they are sending me to some guy at corporate who doesn't reply to voice mail... any pointers would be great!
They guy who runs the deli happens to be my partners son.

Old 06-18-2008, 10:26 PM
Wookie35
Junior User
hmmmm, if only I had that kind of hook up! I'll have to keep plugging away at it the old fashion way i guess

Old 06-18-2008, 10:43 PM
Rushmore X
Logistics Pro

We haven't confirmed that one yet though, so I talked to Ruby Tuesday's and a Mexican restaurant today. Will titrate their oils tomorrow. One of the Chinese places backed out on me. (Manager said yes, owner said no). Partner is going to talk to a chicken wings place also.
If you have Supermarkets nearby that have Deli's might give them a shot. Good luck.

Old 06-20-2008, 04:18 PM
BioBurner
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I make great bio from oil titrating as high as 16 g/l KOH. If it titrates higher than 8, I do an acid batch first. No problems.

Old 06-20-2008, 06:23 PM
Rushmore X
Logistics Pro

Originally Posted by BioBurner
I make great bio from oil titrating as high as 16 g/l KOH. If it titrates higher than 8, I do an acid batch first. No problems.
How exactly does an acid batch work? Calculations, time ect. Is this Pelly's "foolproof"?

thanks

Old 06-21-2008, 09:48 PM
TXHillCountry
Elder User
That's why we picked the BioPro 190. It can handle up to 10% FFA. It does the acid / methanol mix process first, then the methoxide process.

TX

Old 06-21-2008, 09:54 PM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
check some of your local convience stores with deli's I get my oil from one mainly (two on occasion) and my oil checks at 1.1 constantly and has for the past 3yrs. I found out they change the oil every other day.

Old 06-22-2008, 03:13 PM
BioBurner
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Trent Fliginger
How exactly does an acid batch work? Calculations, time ect. Is this Pelly's "foolproof"?

thanks
No. It's not the foolproof method. It's called the FATTA method. Check it out: Homebrew Acid-Base Biodiesel Recipes - Topic Powered by eve community

Old 06-22-2008, 03:38 PM
empiretc
Lead Driver
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
I talked to the local Church's, Whataburger, BK and JITB. they agreed to give me their oil- ~50 gallons a week each. The only thing that concerns me, is that they use partially hydrogenated oil. They call it vegetable shortening.

Should I even agree to pick their stuff up? All the other places I am getting it from are using 100% soy.

Old 06-22-2008, 04:09 PM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
stuff I am using is liquid vegitable frying shortening and it works great. Been using it for the past several years with no problems.

Old 06-22-2008, 06:28 PM
sgrol
Laughing Gas
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by monsterbaby
stuff I am using is liquid vegitable frying shortening and it works great. Been using it for the past several years with no problems.
I spoke to a Chinese restaurant owner (or tried to, thick accent) and I think he said people have asked him for his oil before but when he told them what it was they said it was no good. He said he uses very little veg oil and, I think, said he uses mostly liquid shortning. Isn't that lard? Is it useable? If so, will it stay liquid after methoxide treatment? sorry for so many questions, am new to this.

Quick Reply: Now I know why Burger Joints are a last Choice for oil