Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

Ford Cummins or Dodge?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 12:52 PM
FordF350Superduty
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ford Cummins or Dodge?

Hi everybody!Need to know,1.can I replace my 6.0 (2006 F350 6.0L,25k,Crew Cab,Long Bed) and install new Cummins. 2. Or,trade my F350 by new 2007 or 2008 Dodge 3500,(SRW)? Thanks fo replay!

Old 05-04-2008, 01:32 PM
Still Smoking
Elder User
i dont think you will get to many comments if you change from ford to dodge. what is wrong with your ford that you wana put a cummins in it. personally i think its retarded that ppl put cummins in a ford. leave it as is but thats just me. dont go to dodge. they are junk.

Old 05-04-2008, 02:31 PM
DirtStripHero
Senior User
There is a shop here in western Indiana that specializes in that. The easiest swap is a 12v cummins, but from what I hear the 24v swap isn't too hard either. I have even heard of some people swapping in the new 6.7L.

try this. FordCummins.com: Home It may help you.

Old 05-04-2008, 07:01 PM
thorseshoeing
decadent and depraved

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
It would be easier and probably cheaper to just trade it for a Dodge...I really like the new Dodges anyway, I'd take one over a 6.4 anyday...

Tim

Old 05-05-2008, 12:27 AM
BigDaddy6969
Senior User
Originally Posted by thorseshoeing
It would be easier and probably cheaper to just trade it for a Dodge...I really like the new Dodges anyway, I'd take one over a 6.4 anyday...

Tim
Ditto. I mean people here rag on Dodges but honestly some day the whole automatice tranny issue has to lose its novelty, they solved that fiasco like 6-7 years ago. Sure maybe they dont ride as nice but honestly who cares? If a deisel is in your future Ford is the last company I would go with.

Old 05-05-2008, 01:11 AM
BigF350
Hotshot
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by BigDaddy6969
Ditto. I mean people here rag on Dodges but honestly some day the whole automatice tranny issue has to lose its novelty, they solved that fiasco like 6-7 years ago.
I feel the same could be said about the 6.0l "issues"
(admittedly, prehaps change the 6-7years to 4years)

I would never buy a new Dodge, forgetting the fact that from a comfort/quality/engineering/lack of options standpoint I feel they are inferior, purely on a cost of ownership point of view (hear me out!)
Have you looked at the resale on them?

The only Dodge that I think I could feasibly consider would be a late 90's with a 12V and a stick transmission... the truck was what the Cummins truck engine image was built on and the resale value has already been eroded.

The Duramax in my opinion is a serious competitor from the aformentioned comfort/quality/engineering/lack of options standpoints as well as the resale value, and I think is a good vehicle (I wouldn't choose one because it wouldn't meet my requirements like a Ford, but I can understand why someone would buy one... a current model Dodge doesn't come with the same understanding...)

What makes a Dodge so attractive?
And to answer the original posters question... save your money, keep your current truck and spend it on diesel instead (with the way prices are going you might need too )

Old 05-05-2008, 01:49 AM
FordF350Superduty
Senior User
I would never buy a new Dodge, forgetting the fact that from a comfort/quality/engineering/lack of options standpoint I feel they are inferior, purely on a cost of ownership point of view (hear me out!)

The only Dodge that I think I could feasibly consider would be a late 90's with a 12V and a stick transmission... the truck was what the Cummins truck engine image was built on and the resale value has already been eroded.

The Duramax in my opinion is a serious competitor from the aformentioned comfort/quality/engineering/lack of options standpoints as well as the resale value, and I think is a good vehicle (I wouldn't choose one because it wouldn't meet my requirements like a Ford, but I can understand why someone would buy one... a current model Dodge doesn't come with the same understanding...)

And to answer the original posters question... save your money, keep your current truck and spend it on diesel instead (with the way prices are going you might need too )
Thanks man,100% agree.Ford all the way!

Old 05-05-2008, 08:11 AM
preppypyro
FTE Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Out of your two options, I would look into putting a cummins in your truck. I dont know much about the brand new dodge`s, but with the few year older ones, they just arent the truck that the ford is. They really arent comfortable, ride like crap, and they seem to be built really "cheap".

The cost factor is sure gonna suck considering you have a fairly new expensive truck, to yank the engine out and put a fairly expensive cummins in.

The atrractive factor about a dodge, the motor, thats about it, I think.

Old 05-05-2008, 08:52 AM
SMIGGS
Posting Guru
Take a Dodge for a spin and see for yourself. If the you don't like the ride, there is the aftermarket to help with that. As for comfort/engineering/quality issue, it's all personal preference. We can't tell you what you will like.

Old 05-05-2008, 07:00 PM
BigDaddy6969
Senior User
Originally Posted by IB Adrian
I feel the same could be said about the 6.0l "issues"
(admittedly, prehaps change the 6-7years to 4years)
IDK about that one man. Maybe I just got a lemon, but considering a lot of people I talk to agree with me, I dont think the bugs ever got completely worked out of the 6.0. I have one right now and it pisses me off to no end to think I was duped into getting rid of my '04 Dodge for this underpowered deisel chugging peice of a 6.0 I have right now.

Where you live must be different than where I live. Around here Dodges around about 3-4K cheaper at sticker than a Ford and close to 6-7K cheaper than a GMC. Saving that much at the sticker is nice because payments are lower and it can be paid off faster if need be. I can take a hit at resale if it means my payments are lower in the first place.

I had a '98 2500 with a 12v 5 speed and it may have been the single greatest truck I have ever owned. If you have a chance to get one you seriously should consider it.

I agree with you. If they didnt have the IFS and car like feel I would buy one. But unfortunately living 10 miles off the hiway on a dirt road is hell on GM front ends, especially in the winter/spring months. Dodges and Fords stand up to the abuse much better. Fords do the best as far as holding up to the wear and tear but the Dodge does pretty good too and has the better workhorse under the hood, therefore Dodge is what I go with.

What makes the Dodge attractive? The fact that its not a Chevy and has Ford whipped in the deisel side of things.

Now that I think of it, instead of recomending a deisel at all I would just go out and buy a F-350 with a V10. Reasons-1. Cheaper at sticker, 2. Cheaper at the pump, 3. Similar performance, 4. Cheaper maintennance.

Old 05-06-2008, 08:06 AM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
[quote=IB Adrian;6118218]
quote]

The Cummins and thats about it. If it were not for the Cummins over the years Dodge would have a VERY hard time selling a 2500+ truck.

Old 05-06-2008, 05:14 PM
DirtStripHero
Senior User
^^^^I agree completely. The 5.7hemi is completely underpowered in a 3/4 ton or 1 ton truck. It will get the job done, but compared to Ford's 6.8 or Chevy's 6.0, it is a pig when towing.

Old 05-06-2008, 08:15 PM
kermmydog
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by thorseshoeing

Tim
Tim,
Glad I'm not alone on that thought.

As to installing a real diesel in a newer Ford, I hear you have to remove the cab to pull the Ford out. I don't know how you would install a Cummins without major mods.

Old 05-07-2008, 04:10 PM
spinella
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
just my two cents...the f700(small six wheel dumper)i drive at work came with a cummins.whats up with that?

Old 05-07-2008, 05:54 PM
thorseshoeing
decadent and depraved

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
In the 650's and up you can get a Cat or Cummins...

Tim

Quick Reply: Ford Cummins or Dodge?