Best speakers for bass in a 2000 Expedition EB

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-1999, 06:32 PM
Joe
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey everyone, I just took delivery of my new expedition with the mach 460 sound system. Althought the Mach system is a great improvement over the stock system, my hears crave for more bass. I listen to a lot of Rap and Hip Hop, and occassionaly some rock. Do you think its just that my subwoofer is under powered, or is it just junk? What are some good speakers that I can get for that will fit in the factory speaker holes. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Joe
ADVANT123(No Email Addresses In Posts!)

Old 11-01-1999, 07:04 PM
Pastmaster
Postmaster

you might check (www.crutchfield.com) for more expertice. Do you know what size the sub is? Do you know if it has an amp?

Evan A.K.A. PastMaster
1993 F-150 302/E40d XLT
1989 F-150 302/Aod 4x4 XLT Lariat

Old 11-02-1999, 03:23 PM
Joe
Junior User

I'm not sure about the size of the sub. It looks like it might be a 8" sub, but i know its not bigger than a 10". I am unsure whether is it powered by an amp, but ford claims the entire system has 290 watts so I would think the sub is powered by an amp.

Old 11-16-1999, 03:31 PM
dale
Freshman User

do you have woofers in factory holes or are they mid range speakers? if you wan bass try JLaudio or cerwin vega. mid range try polk audio or MBquart.

Old 11-17-1999, 02:47 PM
Joe
Junior User

I think the speakers in the factory holes are mid-rang speakers and there is 1 subwoofer in the back. I was thinking about putting 3 12" sub box behind the 2nd row passenger seat for some awesome bass.

Old 01-04-2000, 06:31 PM
tonka
Junior User

Well, If your planning on 3 12's I guess you're not to worried about space but if it is a consideration you could try something like a kicker solobaric or I run a cerwin vega accurate image 12". The box size is less than a cubic foot but you still get tons of bass. You could also try a bandpass box ,this will allow you to go lower but you will lose the punch so you might find you'll also need a good mid bass driver depending on your musical taste.It's also nice to have an adjustable crossover just to tweek it a little.Keep in mind you will be able to tune the box with the port but the 80 hz cut off for mostpreset crossovers is a little too high.
tonka

Old 11-12-2001, 06:14 PM
Jerm
Junior User

Old 01-09-2002, 02:03 AM
rspezfam
New User
Post Best speakers for bass in a 2000 Expedition EB

I am currently looking to replace the stock speakers in the same, 2000 Exp EB w/Mach audio system. I have learned that the front and rear door speakers are 5x7/6x8 size. The sub is 8". I have read that this audio system consits of 7 speakers including 4-front door mounted satellite speakers, 2-rear door mounted full range speakers and the 1-8" sub in back. I myself am still researching the best speakers to replace the stock ones. I'm considering the Infinity Kappa 572.3cf for the doors. They have had some very good reviews for a direct replacement speaker. They have a frequency response from 40-21,000 Hz. You would probably appreciate the mids and highs, but you won't get much bass from a 5x7/6x8 speaker. As far as the sub, MTX makes an enclosed amplified (100watt) 10" sub, model FEN10A. Or for a little less money Clarion has a similar unit, model PSWFSU.
Good Luck, Rick

Old 09-29-2004, 09:24 AM
NorthGaExpediton
Freshman User
Originally Posted by tonka
Well, If your planning on 3 12's I guess you're not to worried about space but if it is a consideration you could try something like a kicker solobaric or I run a cerwin vega accurate image 12". The box size is less than a cubic foot but you still get tons of bass. You could also try a bandpass box ,this will allow you to go lower but you will lose the punch so you might find you'll also need a good mid bass driver depending on your musical taste.It's also nice to have an adjustable crossover just to tweek it a little.Keep in mind you will be able to tune the box with the port but the 80 hz cut off for mostpreset crossovers is a little too high.
tonka
Forget the 3 12"'s and go with 2 15" RockFord Fosgates ran in parrellel and get a 2 ohm stable bridgeable punch amp. It will blow 3 12"'s out the door! Oh yeah, go sealed box!

Old 09-29-2004, 05:19 PM
got2lb
Junior User
I would have to agree with North on this one. Def. have to go with some 15's to get some serious boom! The only thing I don't agree with is his choice of speakers. Ever heard the saying "ROCKFORD SUCKS" stick with it and get some good stuff. I had two 15" xtant subs in my explorer and blew the seal out of the front window. I would def. go with some good subs. Audiobahn or something like that! And don't buy the coaxial speakers for the doors go with some components they'll sound so much better! You can fit 5.25" components with the tweeter in a 5x7 speaker slot. I had it that way in my explorer sounded awesome. I would go with mb quarts for those.

Of course that's if you got MONEY!

Matt

Old 10-05-2004, 10:50 PM
sk8ingsmurf
Junior User
everyone has you on the right idea, rspezfam was right it has 4 6.5" speakers in the front (a pair of components), two coaxial 5x7/6x8s in the rear and a P.O.S. uh I mean 8" factory sub in the back. If that sub hasnt blown on you yet it will. A lot of people gave you good ideas for subs and better speakers for your doors. A few things to point out, I wont mention what brands to get because everybody has their own opinion on what speakers sound best, I will however say that to say "Rockford sucks" is just blatantly ignorant and stupid. Fosgate speakers are not always the top of the line (although in some cases damn close), but for their price they can offer unbelievable sound and quality. A large misconception that I hear all the time (normally from kids at my highschool) is that the size of your sub is a measure of how loud it is, this is true only to an extent. Compare two of the same sub a 12 and a 15 and yes the 15 will be louder (mostly just deeper), however it is entirely possible to destroy 15s with 12s or 10s, its a question of power and MUCH, I stress this, MUCH more importantly the type of box and quality of its construction. As far as boxes go, just go with what sounds best to you, the general description of box types is sealed for sound quality (wont hit quite as hard though), ported for spl (sound pressure level [how loud it is]), bandpass for a good mixture of both (or in some cases ridiculous spl). I used to have two 12" fosgate HX2s in my 99 eb expedition in two seperate sealed boxes that fit behind the rear seat. I ditched that when I realized I never used the seat and really wanted more bass, I am now running two JL 15w0s (which are bottom of the line for JL) in a fourth order bandpass, I hit 157.6 with my gains slightly cranked down for personal preference (I was at a show with a meter and was curious, I was not competing). So if you want some advice on what subs/boxes and stuff I would recommend you can pm me or something, but dont just listen to what everyone else thinks, go listen for yourself and check with professionals in the area to find out what suits you best.

p.s. if you wanted to go with something like my setup I can send pictures and possibly a diagram if I can still find one laying around, it fits perfectly behind my middle seat (except for being about an inch too tall, bad measurement on my part, oh well it doesnt effect my rear view vision, not that I can see out of it with the subs turned on anyway), and its carpet is almost identical to the tan carpet in my e.b.

Last edited by sk8ingsmurf; 10-05-2004 at 10:52 PM.