Notices
Modular V10 (6.8l)  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'99 V-10 - anything to look out for?

Old 06-15-2008, 04:10 PM
Mike E.
Junior User
Mike E. is starting off with a positive reputation.
'99 V-10 - anything to look out for?

Hey folks,

I've found a '99 F250 with the V-10 in it and am wondering if there's anything I should be looking out for/concerned about?
Also, there's an '01 kicking around - would it be the same incarnation V-10 as the '99?

Thanks,

Mike

Old 06-15-2008, 05:24 PM
captchas
captchas has a great reputation on FTE.captchas has a great reputation on FTE.captchas has a great reputation on FTE.captchas has a great reputation on FTE.
yeh! bad heads and no power. that one is one of the dog years of motors. i would pass on it if i were looking.

Old 06-15-2008, 06:13 PM
spinella
Postmaster
spinella is a splendid one to beholdspinella is a splendid one to beholdspinella is a splendid one to beholdspinella is a splendid one to beholdspinella is a splendid one to beholdspinella is a splendid one to behold
exhaust manifold studs rot away.very common.good luck on your search.

Old 06-15-2008, 11:20 PM
twce023587
New User
twce023587 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have 99 V10 w/145000 and runs like a champ. This is my first V10, but I looked for 6 months before buying. I found a one owner with all service records in my hand. I like it.
New ones have more power and yes better heads but all around for what I paid for it, it was a deal.

Old 06-16-2008, 12:36 AM
ol'yeller
Senior User
ol'yeller is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Bad heads and no power are an oversimplification. Granted later years with the 3V are better (and more expensive) but the '99 V10 is an excellent motor especially for towing or hauling. To answer your questions read the other posts in this section. Known possible problems are spitting plugs and broken exhaust manifold studs. My '99 has 83K and no plug problems so far. I did just have to replace several exhaust studs which is a nasty, ugly, and kinda expensive. I just put almost $5K into my truck, about half of it was for a gear change and posi unit. The rest went into exhaust stud repair, all fluids change, new belt and hoses, MAF cleaning, fuel injector cleaning, new starter complete tune-up with plugs, and a tranny temp gauge install. If these engines were that bad I wouldn't have invested this into my truck. It pulls my 7500# travel trailer easily and delivers decent performance with comparable economy. It is a TRUCK, not a race car.

Old 06-16-2008, 01:05 AM
Mike E.
Junior User
Mike E. is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thanks for the info fella's.
Would the '01 have the same issues? I'm assuming so, as wasn't it '05 that went to the 3V?

Just to note, I looking for a truck to pull my 6500lb loaded travel trailer - my Ram 1500 is at it's max with it behind it.

Old 06-16-2008, 06:15 AM
captchas
captchas has a great reputation on FTE.captchas has a great reputation on FTE.captchas has a great reputation on FTE.captchas has a great reputation on FTE.
the 01 should have the pi heads and more hp. i brought up the plug issue and low hp as it was the first year in the pick up and many of us who had or had driven them felt them to be doggie.

yes even thou they do still pull like demon's but as with many things the earlyist tend to have more problems then the latter ones. yes there is no way to compair a 3 valve with a 2 valve but just the latter 2 valve motors have the better heads and less problems.

exhaust studs guys even the 3 valve has the stud problems just at higher miles then before. a stud of 8 mm thread size will never work as good as a older motor with a 3/8 inch thread and higher torque on the gasket immo as a old retired auto mechanic.

Old 06-16-2008, 03:35 PM
Krewat
Super Moderator
Krewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputation
Model year 2000 introduced the PI heads for the V10

So if you have a choice, and the price is around the same, go for the '01.

Get a manufacture date for the '01, post back here, and we'll see if it has an updated "alignment feature" that helps keep the plugs where they are supposed to be

Old 06-16-2008, 03:40 PM
4wheelfurry
Senior User
4wheelfurry is starting off with a positive reputation.
185000 miles on my 99, no mani stud problems. I do admit the engine does run out of breath around 4500RPM and should pull a few more R's but it does pull my 28ft camper (app 6500lb loaded) fine. Overall I'm very happy with my early V10 truck.

BTW I'm coming from a GMC 1/2 ton truck and although the 5.7 faired well in the power dept the truck itself did not weigh enough and required MUCH more effort to drive whereas the V10 pulls the load while I lay back and relax LOL

Old 06-16-2008, 05:30 PM
Heavy_Metal
Elder User
Heavy_Metal is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I have a '99. No complaints really. 185,000 miles here also. I've owned it since new, couple of blown plugs. Timesert'd all holes at once to never have it happen after the second plug blew. No manifold stud problems. Opened up the exhaust with Ebay headers, Magnaflow high flow cat and a Flowmaster cat-back which helped by leaps-and-bounds above 4500rpm.

When and if you drive it look for a slight slip in second gear under heavy load. Tq converters tend to suck in the 4R100 after a few thousand miles.

If it has a stumble just off idle, or just a plain pronounced miss, a COP may be going bad.

Check that the vacuum hubs are working ok if installed.

I'm sure you know how to check for ball joints in your own way. Check them.

Listen for a metallic bearing noise in the front end. Unit bearings suck and are expensive.

2v V10s get better mileage than the 3vers. May have less power but the mpg is nicer and you can mod the 2v v10s to squeeze a little more power out of them.

Dog year motors....275hp and 410Tq., not so much of a slouch since the equal year 7.3L Diesel is 235 hp and 500 ft.lbs.

Old 06-16-2008, 07:17 PM
Ricohman
Posting Guru
Ricohman has a good reputation on FTE.Ricohman has a good reputation on FTE.
I have a 99.
No problems yet with 109 000 km's.
Mileage is 12-16 empty, 10-12 towing.
Not really a powerhouse in a 7000lb+ truck,but I got no complaints.

Old 06-16-2008, 09:57 PM
Lloyds71Mav
New User
Lloyds71Mav is starting off with a positive reputation.
Well I just bought a 1999 going to go pick it up this Friday. The engine has been changed in it. With the way I have been driving here latley to save gas I am not concerned about the set me back in the seat power As long as it can pull a 30' camper in the mountains I am good. One of those deals where I seen the truck and even if it would been a bad year I was still getting it. Just Fell in love with it.

Old 06-16-2008, 10:26 PM
dew the thunder
Elder User
dew the thunder is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I got a 99. I LOVE it. Sure the mileage sucks, but you don't buy a beast of a truck for gas mileage.

Old 06-19-2008, 02:19 AM
mikehm
Senior User
mikehm is starting off with a positive reputation.
OK Ill bite, whats the PI heads? I have a 2000, with 93K and no problems, its the 315 HP version in a E-450SD Class C Motor Home weighing in at 12,500 lbs, and drives great, lots of torque, even in the mountains, all considered.
I also have a 98 and a 03 E-350 service trucks, both with well over 100K and no problems yet with plugs or manifold studs.
Thanks Mike.

Old 06-19-2008, 09:26 AM
Krewat
Super Moderator
Krewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputation
PI = "Performance Improved"

They redesigned the heads to improve flow, giving the V10 more guts (torque) across the board.

The pre-PI engine ('99) was known to run out of breath at higher RPMs, which means your cruising in OD, hit a hill, downshift to 3rd, and then when it gets a little too steep, it'll downshift to 2nd. RPMs go too high, engine looses torque, and actually SLOWS DOWN.

A few people here have related that condition. It'll downshift and actually lose speed because the engine can't breathe.

Many have found intake or exhaust (headers) help a lot, and a tuner will go a long way too.

With some help, the non-PI V10 can be made to put out the power of the PI V10, but I don't think it completely makes up the gap.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: '99 V-10 - anything to look out for?

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.