1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

54 F 100

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2008, 08:01 PM
Max E
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking 54 F 100

Been awhile since I posted any progress. Matter of fact I had to look at the gallery to see where I had left off.
Since then I have the engine complete and ready to run. I have the wiring on and checked out except lights as I don't have any fenders.
Today we put the shifter and TV cable in. I haven't ordered a column yet. I have read everything from a 30" to a 35" for a MII front end. I am pretty good size so I think I am going to have to have the longer to get over my belly.
I went with the 12v gauges that look like the orginals, kept the start button and put in a 12v ignition. I ordered a new radiator with oil lines that bolts up to the orginal saddle. Everything looks nice so far.
I tested everything with the battey charger for grounds and shorts. I even entergised my key and solenoid so I know I am ready to start when I get the fluids in the trans. Rad and power steering is full and the engine was run on a test stand before it went in.
Been doing a lot of body repairs and have the fenders about ready to take to Ford, I am going to spray the bed liner under the fenders before I put them on along with the inner fenders up front. I think that will look good and help with road noise and rock dents from the under side.
Well this is getting kind of long so I will give you all a break for now.
Thanks for all the support and comments with my progress so far. May be calling on you all again. Still have a ways to go. Sure will sound nice hearing it run in the truck.
Max E

Old 06-13-2008, 08:56 PM
Mr Mayo
Bring out the best!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's terrific! It must be exciting to be that close to having a running truck. Keep us posted.

Old 06-13-2008, 09:09 PM
cmoritz
Posting Guru
Welcome back Max!!! Sounds like you have a grip on things, glad to hear of the progress!!

Old 06-14-2008, 02:10 AM
53pickemuptruck
Senior User
Welcome back.Nice looking truck and shop you have there. Progress is slow but sooner or later it has to be done. You say thats a 54 loks like a 53 grill on it from here. The had the six chrome teeth. I have a 53 I'm working on. Getting ready for an Ididit column when Uncle Sam gives me my stimulus check,can't hardly wait.July 4th is the date!

Old 06-14-2008, 04:42 AM
55 f350
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
keep it up and you'll be on the road soon !!!! yep looks like a 53 grille to me . if yer looking for a 54 grille i know of two possibly including the 54 valance , ya might be able to snag . one is vintage 56 here on fte . he just bought a"55" f350 i was wanting some parts off of maybe , and im sure he said it had a 54 grille in it so it should have the on year only valance . i also know of a wrecker of 54 vintage sitting in a boneyard in peoria illinois just north of me that had the grille and etc in it still . i dont know if stu went up and robbed the bed off of it yet , but the rest is still there .had a 390 4v in it too ................

Old 06-16-2008, 09:40 PM
Max E
Senior User
Yes it is a 53 grille. Right now I just want to finish with what I have. I can always put the 54 in. Had a really bad experience with the guy who was to paint for me. We had a big blow out and now I have a paint job paid for and he doesn't want to do it and don't have the pay back. Not a happy cowboy right now.
Once I got into this I found out the bed had been shortened and the one I got is pretty rough. Just seems like it is such a struggle. Sure will be glad to just hear it run in there.
Max E