poor mileage after lift and big tires - Page 2 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > 1999 to 2016 Super Duty
Reload this Page >

poor mileage after lift and big tires

Notices
1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines

poor mileage after lift and big tires

Old 06-14-2008, 01:32 AM
Furian
You Keep What You Kill
Furian has a great reputation on FTE.Furian has a great reputation on FTE.Furian has a great reputation on FTE.Furian has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by QwkTrip View Post
That truck is a lot of coin for a young kid in school to handle. There's no doubt it's very cool but when you're financially strained to pay for gas then you need a lifestyle adjustment.

So here's the plan: Think "econ car". Get through college so your earning power goes up. This next step is critical. Land your first job and live at home with mom and dad. You won't be able to afford cost of living AND a cool ride until you're much older. So in the mean time you'll just have to make sure you never bring home any girl friends because if you do then won't have any girl friends. But you'll have that cool ride!!!! Vettes, trucks, muscle cars.... whatever! Because you can afford anything now! Another bonus is mom and dad might give you garage parking to keep it nice.

At some point you'll either make enough to live on your own or decide you're just going to give up expensive cars in order to get your own place. At that point girls will respect you and you will get married. When you're married you'll become poor again. So you better make sure that you carry into the marriage whatever you want to drive because you will never get to buy anything cool for another 15+ years. Unless you become a DINK (double income no kids). They drive whatever they want. Usually BMW's because no matter how they begin they always morph into yuppies.

The other option is you can quit school now to become a redneck so you can always drive a cool truck! If you need more information about red necks let me know and I can explain your options.
THAT'S REALLY FUNNY BUT SO TRUE!

Old 06-14-2008, 03:46 AM
milburn
Freshman User
milburn is starting off with a positive reputation.
you need gears

Old 06-14-2008, 05:19 AM
Monsta
Post Fiend
Monsta has a spectacular reputation.Monsta has a spectacular reputation.Monsta has a spectacular reputation.Monsta has a spectacular reputation.Monsta has a spectacular reputation.Monsta has a spectacular reputation.Monsta has a spectacular reputation.Monsta has a spectacular reputation.Monsta has a spectacular reputation.Monsta has a spectacular reputation.Monsta has a spectacular reputation.
Originally Posted by QwkTrip View Post
That truck is a lot of coin for a young kid in school to handle. There's no doubt it's very cool but when you're financially strained to pay for gas then you need a lifestyle adjustment.

So here's the plan: Think "econ car". Get through college so your earning power goes up. This next step is critical. Land your first job and live at home with mom and dad. You won't be able to afford cost of living AND a cool ride until you're much older. So in the mean time you'll just have to make sure you never bring home any girl friends because if you do then won't have any girl friends. But you'll have that cool ride!!!! Vettes, trucks, muscle cars.... whatever! Because you can afford anything now! Another bonus is mom and dad might give you garage parking to keep it nice.

At some point you'll either make enough to live on your own or decide you're just going to give up expensive cars in order to get your own place. At that point girls will respect you and you will get married. When you're married you'll become poor again. So you better make sure that you carry into the marriage whatever you want to drive because you will never get to buy anything cool for another 15+ years. Unless you become a DINK (double income no kids). They drive whatever they want. Usually BMW's because no matter how they begin they always morph into yuppies.

The other option is you can quit school now to become a redneck so you can always drive a cool truck! If you need more information about red necks let me know and I can explain your options.
Rep points to you!

Old 06-14-2008, 05:36 AM
broncobran68
Senior User
broncobran68 is starting off with a positive reputation.
haha thats very funny. i just want to know who really posted that-young pup with one post? whats your real id. my truck rolls on 44s and i still get 17 around town so you should get better than that.

Old 06-14-2008, 09:51 AM
rugermack
Posting Guru
rugermack is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.rugermack is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Youngpup would fare better with a diesel, I have 35's and 6.5" lift and get 18-19 mixed driving and around 19.5 on the highway, but I've done almost every mod. Would like to try the water/meth and upgrade my tuner to a DP. My freinds Excursion has a v10, 35s, 373s, and 7" lift and he gets 11-11.5 on mixed driving and 10 when he tows his pop-up camper.

Old 06-14-2008, 09:32 PM
jeffmfly1
Freshman User
jeffmfly1 is starting off with a positive reputation.
my 01' f250 v-10 had an 8 inch lift with 37" tires. Speedo was off exactly 10% at any speed so you are pretty close to that. I got 11-12mpg on the freeway. 9 around town and 5-6 towing my hauler.

That engine is a reliable beast but it drinks some serious gas.

Old 06-15-2008, 07:20 AM
Green Ford
Senior User
Green Ford is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by yungpup View Post
I just dont understand this. I put a 10 inch lift in my crewcab longbox f250, I have 38 inch toyo tires on it and have plenty of power with the v10, but my mileage just sucks. I only drive to school and back and never haul anything with it. I thought I would get ok mileage with taller tires. Can anybody help me with this ? I just cant afford to drive this truck now. What am I going to do now ? Gas is $4.16 a gallon here and I only get 7 mpg.
Time to regear and get a TruSpeed to get your spedo back right. It costs a lot to play...lol I have a 10" lift and I'm running 41x14.5x20 IROC radials on mine. Regeared and added a TruSpeed. I now have every thing dead on but still only get 10mpg on a 5.4 gasser. Thats just wat it takes to play now a days. Mine is only a play truck....lol I have a company vechile to drive during the week so I don't get upset by the crappy mileage because I knew thats what would happen. The regearing will help with mileage and power but you will never get "good" mileage. You might also want to upgrade your brakes running larger tire.... more money.... PS I went to 4.88 gears

Last edited by Green Ford; 06-15-2008 at 07:23 AM. Reason: added note
Old 06-15-2008, 08:46 PM
billguns1
New User
billguns1 is starting off with a positive reputation.
My truck has 200,000+ miles on her and i got 5.13 gears i dont live at home with mom im goin to college and have a 2007 kawasaki meanstreak plus a 2006 jeep liberty... My truck has a blown spark plug so she doesnt go far!!! I dont see how u thought ur gas milage would be better or stay the same jus thank arrow dynamics!!! jus lower the truck till u can afford it or buy u a ricer!! Next time ask before you do any mods to ur truck!!

Old 06-15-2008, 08:59 PM
triton_2002
Postmaster
triton_2002 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Ah.....rookie mistake.........you only got the 10" lift......your MPG increases exponentially as the lift kit goes up........ so if you get another couple inches of lift and tire, you should get into the double digit MPG!

Old 06-15-2008, 10:00 PM
duffman77
Elder User
duffman77 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by billguns1 View Post
My truck has 200,000+ miles on her and i got 5.13 gears i dont live at home with mom im goin to college and have a 2007 kawasaki meanstreak plus a 2006 jeep liberty... My truck has a blown spark plug so she doesnt go far!!! I dont see how u thought ur gas milage would be better or stay the same jus thank arrow dynamics!!! jus lower the truck till u can afford it or buy u a ricer!! Next time ask before you do any mods to ur truck!!
You are surely not going to college? If so good luck to you!

Old 06-15-2008, 10:07 PM
jeffmfly1
Freshman User
jeffmfly1 is starting off with a positive reputation.
If you MUST have this truck, The only way you will get any better mileage is to regear it and accelerate super slow every time you drive it. The best you will ever get is about 11-12 on the freeway

Old 06-15-2008, 10:27 PM
KelVarnson
Posting Guru
KelVarnson is a name known to allKelVarnson is a name known to allKelVarnson is a name known to allKelVarnson is a name known to allKelVarnson is a name known to allKelVarnson is a name known to all
It's not the actual weight of the tires and wheels, or "rotating mass", or anything like that. The difference in power it takes to get and keep those bigger wheels spinning (vs. the stock ones) is negligible, compared to the increased torque it takes to push the vehicle, due to the effective change in ratio. That, and to a lesser extent the aerodynamic change is the cause of your mileage woes.

Plus the speedo calibration, of course. Might want to use a GPS to find out what kind of mileage you are actually getting. It may not be quite as bad as you think. Still probably not great, though.

Old 06-15-2008, 10:31 PM
BLK94F150
Postmaster
BLK94F150 has a great reputation on FTE.BLK94F150 has a great reputation on FTE.BLK94F150 has a great reputation on FTE.BLK94F150 has a great reputation on FTE.
Big lift and tires

Gas mileage.

Pick one, and even if you pick #2, you're not going to get much stock.

Mike

Old 06-15-2008, 11:55 PM
twce023587
New User
twce023587 is starting off with a positive reputation.
V10 + Right Foot = No gas mileage. What kind of MPG's are you looking for? More than 10-14, buy a car. 4 cylinders gets better than 10 cylinders. Re gear to help in town, don't count on too much of improvement.

Old 06-16-2008, 04:11 PM
Heavy_Metal
Elder User
Heavy_Metal is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by rugermack View Post
Youngpup would fare better with a diesel, I have 35's and 6.5" lift and get 18-19 mixed driving and around 19.5 on the highway, but I've done almost every mod. Would like to try the water/meth and upgrade my tuner to a DP. My freinds Excursion has a v10, 35s, 373s, and 7" lift and he gets 11-11.5 on mixed driving and 10 when he tows his pop-up camper.
Your friends truck is for one, a heavy, brick shaped excursion. Two, lifted 7" on 35s with 3.73s...(horrible gearing for being so heavy) and lastly, I find it very har to believe you get 18-19 mpg with 35s and 6.5" on your truck, noone else gets that unless they are stock tire, stock height fromall the posts I've gone throught the last two weeks. Even the most of the stockers don't get that much as far as I have read.

I got 9 mpg with my V10 F-350 with 35's and 6" with 3.73s I switched to 4.56s and went to 13 I also have a Truspeed and verified right with GPS. One of my co-workers just bought the same exact kit with 35s and has a 6.0 in his truck. He gets 14 with a "tail wind" he said. On top of that it costs him $120 to fill up to my $86....

Don't get mad or anything, I just find it hard to believe. I'd really like to know how you did it if it's legit. Alot of my friends would like to get a few more mpgs. We all would.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: poor mileage after lift and big tires

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.