1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

More Government interference in our hobby

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 05:46 PM
3Mike6
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Heck Lisa, your place looks better than mine....even after I've hauled off about 6 tons of scrap iron over the past few months.
I haven't even started on what folks can see driving by yet

Old 06-16-2008, 06:13 PM
lisagoud
Posting Guru
Thank-you for your honesty...I could almost agree with you except for the fact that this was not viewable from anywhere public save air space. The arguments you presented is excactly how the Town's lawyer argued successfully that these parts were not exempted even the statute says they are. This is how 'case law' is made and whose to say what meets their own version of the standard next time around. I purposely did not move these vehicles because of the wording in the statute says I didn't have to. Because of the outcome of the hearing initially went against me, I opted to junk out the bed and the frame (One less restoration available) and I moved the other 2 parts trucks (rusty and all) to a friend of mine's farm. Last thing, this is Maine where all of our vegetation dies each year (save the trees) so anything green in these pictures just grew up in the last 3 weeks...happens fast up here in the North where they don't have much growing time. These vehicles were out here less than 2 years. I didn't get around to restoring them partly due to the fact that I was diagnosed with cancer (Non-hodgkin's lymphoma) about 16 months ago and am currently undergoing my second chemo session to try to stop this disease from eating me alive. It definately knocks the wind out of your sails and my normal 12 hour hobby working shift on the weekends has been knocked down to about 6 hours a week (3 hours Sunday and 3 hours Monday). I purposely left this health issue out of the conversation as I did not feel it warranted any special consideration on the subject of the Town's ability to enforce something they legally are supposed not to be able to.

Old 06-16-2008, 08:03 PM
dave boley
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
But...

Originally Posted by FTE Ken
*Just my 2 cents. Don't take any of the above as legal advice. I'm not a lawyer, don't play one on TV, blah, blah....
Yeah, but you did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night... Right?

Old 06-16-2008, 08:17 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Contact SEMA and ask if they can give advice. They won't fight your battles but they've lobbied on behalf of hobbyists for a long time and might be able to at least tell you something that might help soften the blow. SEMA.org || StartPage || Specialty Equipment Market Association SEMA

... actually it was Days Inn!

Old 06-16-2008, 09:39 PM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
I'm like FTE Ken. I register everything I have to keep the ordinance of JY at bay. I keep everything in a line out back next to the treeline away from any highway traffic. I live out in the country with acres of woods all around me to keep the neighbors from seeing what I have. Vehicles I have stripped go to the JY asap. I play by the rules just enough to keep the dogs away. And my neighbor is a Conservation Officer.

I'll say this: having good neighbors is more than half the battle. Sometimes having a "too-picturesque" yard makes things stand out even more and people don't want that. They want to look at your yard and admire the lush greenery like that in your pics. IM unprofessional O, I'd say you have a good case, but it won't be easy being on the defensive.

Old 06-24-2008, 04:59 PM
lisagoud
Posting Guru
Just a quick note that I have been in touch with Jason Tolleson from SEMA who was in complete agreement with me that this action by the town is completely in conflict with the established State law. He assures me to try to bring as much legislative pressure to be sure this doesn't happen to the next guy (which is really all I ever cared about).