Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

do we have a power steering cooler?

Old 06-12-2008, 06:26 PM
swaybar
Senior User
swaybar is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
do we have a power steering cooler?

i have a hose that just started to leak in small drops. the hose goes from the top of the steering box, down to the bottom front of the truck to what looks like a power steering (radiator-cooler), in front of the regular radiator, its a small unit, only like 10inches wide by maybe 4", and the hose connection at the cooler is only a metal clap making me think its not a pressurized line. i ask this cause i need it to drive back and forth to work tommorrow (20 miles round trip) before i can get one and change it out saturday morn. anyone familiar with this i'd love to hear ya chime in with input. gotta log off now but i'll be back by 9pm. thanks bro's

Old 06-12-2008, 06:35 PM
mongo75
Postmaster
mongo75 is a name known to allmongo75 is a name known to allmongo75 is a name known to allmongo75 is a name known to allmongo75 is a name known to allmongo75 is a name known to all
Yeah, it's a PS cooler. The lines are indeed pressurized- go ahead and take it off and start the truck if ya don't believe me LOL. They put those same cheap clamps on the tranny cooler lines too. I only replace them once a leak starts, with a small all stainless screw clamp. You should be fine with a little leak, just kee an eye on it and replace any lost fluid with TRANNY FLUID, not power steering fluid!

Old 06-12-2008, 06:35 PM
rbaker6336
Post Fiend
rbaker6336 is a splendid one to beholdrbaker6336 is a splendid one to beholdrbaker6336 is a splendid one to beholdrbaker6336 is a splendid one to beholdrbaker6336 is a splendid one to beholdrbaker6336 is a splendid one to beholdrbaker6336 is a splendid one to behold

Old 06-12-2008, 07:30 PM
swaybar
Senior User
Originally Posted by mongo75 View Post
Yeah, it's a PS cooler. The lines are indeed pressurized- go ahead and take it off and start the truck if ya don't believe me LOL. They put those same cheap clamps on the tranny cooler lines too. I only replace them once a leak starts, with a small all stainless screw clamp. You should be fine with a little leak, just kee an eye on it and replace any lost fluid with TRANNY FLUID, not power steering fluid!
hey mongo thanks, but what do ya think will happen if the line completely breaks in two? on this line the first few inches are a fitted metal line and then the rubber hose part continues the rest of the way for this hose. now the leak is at the metal part of the hose. if that snaps in two will i lose steering? and/or will i be able to drive. do you think the reservour will empty out that line or would ya think it will just affect the temp of the fluid?

Old 06-12-2008, 07:40 PM
clux
Post Fiend
clux has a superb reputationclux has a superb reputationclux has a superb reputationclux has a superb reputationclux has a superb reputationclux has a superb reputationclux has a superb reputationclux has a superb reputationclux has a superb reputationclux has a superb reputationclux has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by swaybar View Post
hey mongo thanks, but what do ya think will happen if the line completely breaks in two? on this line the first few inches are a fitted metal line and then the rubber hose part continues the rest of the way for this hose. now the leak is at the metal part of the hose. if that snaps in two will i lose steering? and/or will i be able to drive. do you think the reservour will empty out that line or would ya think it will just affect the temp of the fluid?
If your line breaks it will pump all of your fluid out in very short order. Then you will still have steering but it will be like the old manual steering of 30 years ago--if you remember that. The fluid is also used for brake boost, so you will have manual brakes as well.

Old 06-12-2008, 08:33 PM
mongo75
Postmaster
mongo75 is a name known to allmongo75 is a name known to allmongo75 is a name known to allmongo75 is a name known to allmongo75 is a name known to allmongo75 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by clux View Post
If your line breaks it will pump all of your fluid out in very short order. Then you will still have steering but it will be like the old manual steering of 30 years ago--if you remember that. The fluid is also used for brake boost, so you will have manual brakes as well.

Losing power steering is bad enough, but if you lose power brakes on a 7000+ lb truck you will not be able to stop her w/o rear ending the guy in front of you. Is the steel line itself leaking? I highly doubt that- if anything at all it's just residual leaking back up the line from the fan blowing it or driving and air pushing it. You should be good with just a screw on clamp.

Old 06-13-2008, 05:51 AM
Markadeck
Gone, but not forgotten
Markadeck has a brilliant futureMarkadeck has a brilliant futureMarkadeck has a brilliant futureMarkadeck has a brilliant futureMarkadeck has a brilliant futureMarkadeck has a brilliant futureMarkadeck has a brilliant futureMarkadeck has a brilliant futureMarkadeck has a brilliant futureMarkadeck has a brilliant futureMarkadeck has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by clux View Post

These trucks are all but unstoppable without the PS pump operating. Even both feet won't do it, not for me anyway. But I only weigh 150 pounds.

Old 06-13-2008, 06:43 AM
Izzy351
Post Fiend
Izzy351 has much to be proud ofIzzy351 has much to be proud ofIzzy351 has much to be proud ofIzzy351 has much to be proud ofIzzy351 has much to be proud ofIzzy351 has much to be proud ofIzzy351 has much to be proud ofIzzy351 has much to be proud ofIzzy351 has much to be proud ofIzzy351 has much to be proud of
Don't forget you have a parking brake. It will help......some.

Old 06-13-2008, 08:51 PM
swaybar
Senior User
well, never drove the truck. got a little worried about losin it far from home. changed it out tonight after work. now i wait for the next fix !!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.