General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

New (to me) Harley - thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 12:05 AM
mjunk1
Fleet Mechanic
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
New (to me) Harley - thoughts?

Just came home with my first Harley. 1990 Electra Glide Ultra Classic. It needs a bit of work, a little rough around the edges, but working on it is half the fun. Anyone got any great ideas? Limited budget, but no rush. I'd rather do it right and keep it for a long time than hurry through and screw it up.

Also, does anyone know if there is a good site like this for the Harley's? I've gotten so much help on my trucks here, it would be great to have a forum like this for questions specific to the bike.

Finally, do you love ape hangers, or hate them! My wife says she won't get on it with me if I take the fairing off and throw on a set of hangers. I can't decide if that is a reason to do it or not to do it....

Old 06-12-2008, 12:09 AM
bigrigfixer
The Pacifier

Congrats on the bike. I'd stay away from ape hangers though. Not on an Electra Glide. Couldn't help you with a forum though.

Old 06-12-2008, 12:19 AM
packrat56
Fleet Mechanic
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Congrats! Been riding them for 35 years... Happy to answer any questions. Ford trucks and Harleys go together! Apehangers.. Hate-em.. Look silly, not comfortable, tried a LOT of bars over the years..no thanks! But, to each-his own, as they say.

I look to these sites for tech advice:

Harley Tech Talk

http://www.bikerheaven.com/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboard.cgi

Harley Davidson Forum - Enthusiast Forums for Harley Davidson Motorcycles

Shovel-Head.com Techboard

Old 06-12-2008, 06:53 PM
monckywrench
Cargo Master
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
"My wife says she won't get on it with me if I take the fairing off and throw on a set of hangers."

Everyone is built differently so what you need to do is find out what bar combo works for YOU. Mid-apes allow easy countersteering (I've had them since 1988 and taught MSF rider courses using that FXR) and fit some people very well. Wife has a Shovelhead with full apes, and we've done long cross-country trips with them.

As for the "looks", I build my bikes to RIDE and don't even have Harley emblems on them. If someone doesn't know what it is, I could care less. Fewer folks to steal it as far as I'm concerned.

I run a clear windshield because I don't like full fairings, and would do the same with an FL. I like the FLs 16" front tire (best for dirt roads and/or hard braking) and consider it their best feature, along with the rubber-mount engine. S&S carbs are wonderful, stock carbs aren't great but are passable with an Andrews accelerator pump kit and larger low speed and main jets. Stock exhaust with gutted mufflers breathe well and have better chrome than many aftermarket pipes.
Buy the FACTORY shop manual and parts books. You will be glad you did.
Ride the poo-poo out of the bike for a while (Evolution engines are quite reliable) before modding it! Some folks start fornicating with cosmetics and speed parts before figuring out what they really want.
European taller belt gearing (different belt and rear sprocket) is a good idea for when your old belt wears out. Any other questions, PM me!

Old 06-12-2008, 11:18 PM
Bill The Cat
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up on the Harley, thumbs down on ape hangers. Every time I see them they remind me of the prissy bicycles that little girls used to ride.

Old 06-12-2008, 11:31 PM
jake00
FTE is my crack
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ape's look alright. The guy has to fit em though, if you look like your reaching for the gym class pullup bar, then they look like crap

Old 06-13-2008, 07:09 PM
71dusterdan
Postmaster
nice score mjunk, i just got a roadglide, man let me tell you these big "touring" bikes are really livin. i am gonna toss a thumbs down on the apes though. but hey it is your bike make yourself happy. Dan

Old 06-13-2008, 07:28 PM
00BlueOvalRanger
Logistics Pro
Congrats on the Harley!!!!!!

Thumbs down on the ape hangers.

You'll get off the bike and your arms will still be in the air.

Uncomfortable. Neck and upper back strain is what I experienced when I rode a buddy's chopper.
But. . . to each his own. . . . .

Old 06-13-2008, 09:24 PM
stu37d
Government Teat-sucker

Okay, congrats on the bike, but figure out what you like as far as customizing. Like Monckywrench said, do it your way and live to ride! Ride for you, not for the looks you might get. And don't forget to wave at us Honda guys, too! We're all brothers out there...

So, now there are 2 guys that owe us picutres: Dan and mjunk1! Let's see 'em!!

Old 06-14-2008, 11:13 PM
71dusterdan
Postmaster
yes Stu, i do owe pictures, i just dont know how to make them match the resolution standards here at Fte, i have a couple. i always wave at anyone on a bike, hell i came from Suzukis(last bike was 7 or 8 years ago) so i would wave at you. now to change the direction, my new bike has throttle by wire, like modern cars, so it also has modern cruise control. well today i was finally on the interstate to try it, WOW!!!!!!!!! I think i am in love! Dan

Old 06-15-2008, 09:46 AM
Michelle_Andree
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool! A bike thread in a truck forum. I was lookin' at Harleys but couldn't find 'the one'. Ride whatever is comfortable, congrats!

Found a sweet 750ACE, it followed me home:

SeeYa!

Old 06-15-2008, 02:03 PM
71dusterdan
Postmaster
nice bike Michelle, a buddy had one of those and loved it, that was back when i thought i would never own another one. enjoy! Dan

Old 06-15-2008, 05:40 PM
stu37d
Government Teat-sucker

Originally Posted by 71dusterdan
, my new bike has throttle by wire, like modern cars, so it also has modern cruise control. well today i was finally on the interstate to try it, WOW!!!!!!!!! I think i am in love! Dan
Yes, I definitely need to get a cruise control. My wrists get pretty tired holding the throttle for so long.

Found a sweet 750ACE, it followed me home
Shadows have long been one of my favorite cruisers. In fact, I went to the dealer with a Shadow in mind. My favorite (in looks) is the Aero. Awesome retro look. If they'd made an 1100 version, I'd be riding one.

Old 06-25-2008, 11:07 AM
mjunk1
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by stu37d
Shadows have long been one of my favorite cruisers. In fact, I went to the dealer with a Shadow in mind. My favorite (in looks) is the Aero. Awesome retro look. If they'd made an 1100 version, I'd be riding one.
Well, funny you mention that as I happen to now have a Shadow 1100 Spirit for sale!!! Staright bars, straight pipes, custom paint, gunslinger seat! My daughter doesn't want me to sell it but I can't ride 2 bikes!

I love the Harley compared to the Shadow. Not that there was anything really wrong with the Shadow, but the feel of the Harley is totally different. The low end torque is amazing, really fun to ride. it also sticks to the road a little differently - maybe it is the added weight. I will be taking a 4 hour ride tonight and can't wait to see how it does for a distance.

Thakns for all the posts. I was just polling people about the apes - I've read lots of other posts saying they are comfortable if they fit your body. My father-in-law says I'm descended from an orangutang (I don't know how to spell it but you get the idea) cause of my long arms. I'll ride it as is this season and then see if there is anything in my stocking around Christmas time if I want to start making changes.

Ride safe all!

Old 06-25-2008, 08:12 PM
stu37d
Government Teat-sucker

Sorry, don't need another bike right now. I still hop to get a HD Road King someday, or a Heritage Softail- my 2 fav's...

Here's my baby. All I've done thus far is add the crash bars, a switchblade windscreen and drilled out the pipes (they sound great, but I still want some aftermarket Cobras or sumthin')

Attached Images  

Quick Reply: New (to me) Harley - thoughts?