1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Report from the desert

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 07:57 PM
himmelberg
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Report from the desert

The '54 has been just sitting for more than a few months now due to additional workload around this place. Wife has been having problems for the last two years so there has been very little truck time.

After picking up some 97's I thought that I would replace the 3 94's and be even cooler... almost as cool as Niolon. Well that looked like some more bucks thrown after some sorry carbs getting them back into shape. Bad idea, so back with the 94's... then the re-wiring project popped up. Doing the taillights made me aware of the ugly, starting to drip, patch on the gas tank.

Will finish up the 62nd year in a few days and the wife thought I really needed a new tank. It's coming gift wrapped. In the warmish high ninetyish temps in the evening I've wrestled all but two pretty well rusted bolts from my rear running board brace. Maybe I'll get some time to work on them after I do the dishes.

Things in the desert don't change much, winters are short and summers are really hot. All is well then. I wouldn't change a thing.

report over, himmelberg

Old 06-11-2008, 08:47 PM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I guess growin up in the Northern Climes has made me maladjusted to the Desert Environment.
In 1980 the USAF saw fit to send me from Northern Germany to Lost Wages NV while I was processing into the Base I submitted a Volunteer Request for an Isolated Remote Assignment to Shemya Alaska, the Next to Last Island in the Alutian Chain. It snowed sideways there and had 50 MPH Fog.
I don't know what this has to do with your report from the desert, I just felt that I should add something.

full of b.s., crabby

Old 06-11-2008, 08:58 PM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
do the dishes? I mow the lawn, the wife does the dishes. I plow the driveway, the wife does the laundry, etc... I wouldn't mind a bit of desert weather though. We've been getting soaked all month.....jet stream just won't let up.

wet behind the ears, Scott (also wet on top of the head, ankle deep in water, and...)

Old 06-11-2008, 09:51 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Every "winter" here we all say we'll never bitch about the heat again... well, that lasts about two weeks of 90's.

The dewpoint here has been between 8 - 16 deg. F. for a couple of weeks...that means even the coldest beverage won't sweat. We could sure use some of that Midwest rain!

Old 06-11-2008, 10:35 PM
truckdog62563
Marmon-Herrington Man
Received 262 Likes on 216 Posts
But isn't it "dry heat", and that makes it ok? Yeah right!

I bought a truck a few years ago from AZ and hauled the trailer to Phx to pick it up (when gas wasn't $4+). As I was loading the pig in 105 degree "dry heat" and dying, the owner sat on his back side in his air conditioned truck and watched. I learned then that dry heat is heat, plain and simple.

But then I went to Bonneville for Speed Week one year and learned the REAL definition of oppressive heat and sun. Nothing can match that, and there's no way to get away from it out on the salt. I can't wait to go back.

Old 06-12-2008, 01:41 AM
Fomoko1
Received 1,353 Likes on 1,112 Posts
Finally we`re getting some light rain here. Its been a long time, since late summer, for any moisture and we`re way too dry. Temps are in the mid 60`s which suits me fine.

Old 06-12-2008, 08:00 AM
53OlderThanMe
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In the desert? You are in Texas my friend, God's Country!

Old 06-12-2008, 08:08 AM
MCarlson
Senior User
I have to admit Texas was the last thing I expected to hear about when I read the title. 1 Jan 2009 is the date I can read the word desert without even thinking twice about it. Tried to get stationed in Alaska for 21 years, apparently I wanted it too badly. Korea was the closest I could come to it. BTW, I also mow the lawn and do dishes.

Old 06-12-2008, 09:51 AM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,838 Likes on 1,837 Posts
Himmelberg,

While reading though the latest Speedway Motors catalog I stumbled upon and interesting posting. They list a Rochester Tri-power base kit that allows you to adapt regular Rochester 2G carbs to the secondary carbs of a tri-power.
The part number is; 910-11588

I don't have to do the dishes....I have kids....mwah ha ha mwaaaahhhhhaaaaaaa!!!!

Insanely laughing, Bobby

Old 06-12-2008, 10:15 AM
Jag Red 54
Logistics Pro
Happy Birthday Himmelberg! Jag

Old 06-12-2008, 10:20 AM
Rich55
Senior User
Did the dishes and laundry last night over a few frosties, and now for the weather...................Today the weather is the same as nov,dec,jan,feb..............................out here in the great pacific north west it's rains from sept. to july and noah w/ his 40 days and 40 nights.........tee hee
RICH

Old 06-12-2008, 10:51 AM
59 shorty
Senior User
Hey Rich bracing for the heat wave this weekend as it may hit.......dare I say it........60 Saturday Yea right! Mark.

Old 06-12-2008, 12:57 PM
fatfords
Elder User
Peter,
As time marches on in the desert, I'm glad to hear that you are making some progress as well. A new fuel tank sounds like a swell present, especially if you get all of those carbs sucking at the same time.
If your wife continues with the generous mentality, you might suggest she splurge and fill it for you after you get it installed! (BTW, hope she is doing better also.)

Birthday greetings from the eastern side of the same desert,
Kent

Old 06-12-2008, 06:09 PM
imlowr2
Postmaster
I don't know about you guys, but I love Himmelberg. His rhetoric is amazing. Maybe it's just me or my suffering in school for 8 years to obtain a Master's Degree that makes me appreciate this mans wisdom and writing ability? I read his post 3 times, each time being more amazing. The first time I read it, I didn't have a clue what he was talking about, nor where he was going with his post? Then I starting tearing it down piece by piece trying to figure out where is he going with this and what is the message behind all this. We begin with his 54 truck. Discuss his wife's health issues, then go back to carburetors and costs in order to be cool (not weather related). Rewiring the truck, replacing a gas tank with a new one (which the wife is purchasing) for an upcoming birthday. A weather report is given as we explore the rusted bolts on the running board. We return once more to the pride of his 54 but his loyality to his wife who he truly cares for as much as his pride and joy 54. Truly amazing! The message I got from this is the fact that "Life is truly short, and we never seem to find time for everything, yet we all have to make the best of it". A Happy Birthday to you Mr. Himmelberg... I hope you stay cool.... (maybe my interpretation is wrong??? LOL)
Ed

Old 06-13-2008, 06:16 AM
himmelberg
Posting Guru
Hey fellas, thanks for each of your kind and widely diverse replies. I take comfort in the notion that this forum is the place where good friends reside and that sharing a kind and/or funny word is not as rare as in other locales.

humbly, himmelberg