1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

is your MPG low??? mine was till i opend my eyes.

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 04:26 AM
ron's power stroke
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
is your MPG low??? mine was till i opend my eyes.

3 months ago for a month or so I have been getting fuel at a fuel stop that is any where from 3 to 5 cents cheaper.then a few other stops....I been only getting 13 MPG with it and truck was a little louder at idle and run a little ruff ..it also ran higher EGT's and blowing black smoke a little more then the norm...that is very bad with my truck..I checked every thing over....I do have a small up pipe leak...no boost leaks..the EBPS and tube are both new..I marked it up as the new ULSD...about a month ago I was in hurry to leave town and the fuel stop was busy..so I said to hell with it and went to a higher priced fuel stop and filled her up...when I got back from the trip I found I got 18.5 MPG (all back road driving)....started talking to people and found out a oil company (the cheaper priced place) is trying to take over the north county here with his fuel stations by keeping the prices lower then any one else...I also found out they are selling low grade diesel and the other place is selling premium fuel....I was pissed..nothing posted about this at the pump..I went in and gave the manager hell for this..sure it looks good on the signs when driving by...but on paper its cheaper to pay the higher price...they asked if I would keep this quite..I LMAO...looked at him and said..if I figured it out..there is more going to...I just want to post it here..I'm hearing a lot about low MPG and 13 MPG seems to be what most are seeing..look around ask around for premium fuel and give this a try....

Old 06-10-2008, 06:30 AM
sleek122
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What station is it or are you not going to post it? I have a station that I normally fill at and it is cheaper by a few cents, hope that they are not selling cheap diesel. I have been getting around 13MPG but that is towing a 18' boat. I just went to Mexico and filled up but I don't think I can calculate mileage cause the guy topped the tank off, like to the filler neck full! I waited at the border for over an hour and have done a couple of runs with the truck and the needle hasn't moved any yet.

Old 06-10-2008, 09:33 AM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.

Thanks Ron. I have been filling up at this same station as long as I have owned my truck. I am getting 13.9 - 14.0 mixed with not much highway driving lately. I used to get 16.0 mixed. So I will try another station next time I fill my tank and see what I get with it.

Old 06-10-2008, 09:46 AM
UP_There
Lead Driver
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Hey Ron......one word. BLACKMAIL

Old 06-10-2008, 09:55 AM
Smokin'
Smokin
Hmm...very interesting Ron. My truck is on the higher end of the MPG for most the trucks around here, and I only use two stations...Sinclair, or the Diamond Shamrock. We have a lower price diesel place just up the street but the pumps are so grimy I refuse to go there. I'd rather pay .10 or .20 cents more per gallon than risk getting bad fuel.

Can you keep this quiet. LOL. That IS funny!

Old 06-10-2008, 10:03 AM
renoduckman
Tuned
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
mpg

Yes i have wondered about that myself. My milage is normally good but i have been wanting to recheck it. I have been wondering about a few things. First i want to see if the ulsd causes a noticable milage drop? Next i want to find out how much drop there is when im towing my 17 foot Whaler? And then do any fuel additives help with milage? And how much does speed factor in?
I have an 02 long bed super cab six speed. With mostly highway driving and a bit of town driving at about 65 on the road i usually get 18-18.5. On a long freeway trip with just me and some clothes in truck i have just made 20-20.5 on a few trips when all is perfect at 65mph. Around town when its cold it seemed to go down to 15. Now i just checked and while takeing tow long fishing trips with boat i got 17.3 mpg. I think id have done better on highway part but some of that was short driving, start up,launch boats and all. But that is not bad and all.
Now later this year when hunting season starts i will be makeing the same trip over and over. It will give me a chance to test some other factors.
You have me wondering now if fuel varies that much from place to place. Will look into that too. Joe

Old 06-10-2008, 10:05 AM
papadelogan
Snowboard season cometh..

I was in MD this past weekend and pulled in to the Exxon to fill up. From information I found on another diesel board (and posted here) Exxon was supposed to have a cetane rating near to or better than 50. The one I pulled in to had YELLOW handles on the diesel pumps and a sticker showing a cetane of only 40! I think I need to start making some calls and see who's got premium diesel or just 'regular', and what cetane rating they will guarantee, if any. Man, I miss the days of leaded gas.... LOL

Old 06-11-2008, 03:51 AM
ron's power stroke
Post Fiend
in my neck of the woods we don't have any big truck stops within a 100 miles..there all little mini marts that sell fuel and gas...we have 4 or 5 trucking/fuel company's. that go to Portland Maine to get our fuel and deliver to the stores..one of witch is called Irving oil...they have mini marts all over NH. ME and VT..there trying to be the king of mini marts around here..I got a chance to talk to the higher priced fuel stop..he said his price was higher then Irving cause he cant get any other fuel then premium from them..he has asked for low grade fuel but cant get it..I told him I'm glad he cant..I like the better stuff and on paper it is cheaper to buy from him...he has said there has been a few guy's tell him the same thing..a few logger's were complain about fuel usage when going to Irving...so I guess I'm not the only one that figured it out..I noticed they put a sign up yesterday..it said clean diesel..lol..not sure what that means..I thought premium was clean fuel..any way's..I'm sure this fuel company isn't the only ones doing this..so no matter where you are..if your getting a good price on a sign and only see 13 MPG..I would be doing asking around.. for me its worth the extra 5 or 10 cents to get the MPG back..when all said and done.it saves you in the end... in other words..you get what you pay for...

Old 06-11-2008, 04:54 AM
ron's power stroke
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by UP_There
Hey Ron......one word. BLACKMAIL

Originally Posted by renoduckman
Yes i have wondered about that myself. My milage is normally good but i have been wanting to recheck it. I have been wondering about a few things. First i want to see if the ulsd causes a noticable milage drop? Next i want to find out how much drop there is when im towing my 17 foot Whaler? And then do any fuel additives help with milage? And how much does speed factor in?
I have an 02 long bed super cab six speed. With mostly highway driving and a bit of town driving at about 65 on the road i usually get 18-18.5. On a long freeway trip with just me and some clothes in truck i have just made 20-20.5 on a few trips when all is perfect at 65mph. Around town when its cold it seemed to go down to 15. Now i just checked and while takeing tow long fishing trips with boat i got 17.3 mpg. I think id have done better on highway part but some of that was short driving, start up,launch boats and all. But that is not bad and all.
Now later this year when hunting season starts i will be makeing the same trip over and over. It will give me a chance to test some other factors.
You have me wondering now if fuel varies that much from place to place. Will look into that too. Joe
i run DK white bottle in winter..double up on the gray in summer..i get around 18 in town and around 21 hiway keeping it under 2000 RPM's...if i go over 2000 RPM's i get about 18 MPG hiway....this is all with an empty truck running the DP 80 econo..

Old 06-11-2008, 06:26 AM
PowerstrokeJunkie
Post Fiend
You know, ive been filling up at Hess recently because they are always 4-8 cents cheaper. I was shocked after i gave the guy my card and started filling up, the cetane rating was only 40. Most places ive been show its 45 and i recall a 50 once.

Old 06-11-2008, 08:05 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 791 Likes on 603 Posts
Very interesting.
Time for me to do some homework, too.
I just filled up the TDI last night and was very dissapointed at the all time record low of 28 mpg for any diesel VW I have ever owned. Never have I gotten less than 30 before. And I was trying to drive conservatively.
Last fill up was at a Shell station that just started carrying diesel.
This time it was at Safeway that sells B5.
Next time I'll try a station that sells premium fuel, if I can find one and try that.
Thanks for the heads up, Ron.

Old 06-11-2008, 08:20 AM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Thanks for the heads up Ron. I always set me trip meter when I fill up to help keep an eye on things. I've never thought about looking for the cetane number on the pump. I guess it's time to start paying attention.

Old 06-11-2008, 09:39 AM
HKusp
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
I thought that with regards to diesel fuel, the was a diminishing result when getting higher than 40 cetane rating. That is to say, I had heard that elevating cetane didn't have much effect on the way a diesel performed. Am I mistaken?

Old 06-11-2008, 10:25 AM
rivrrunner
Senior User
i have noticed 3-4 mpg less since i started buying Safeway B5...which is the cheapest around cuz you get $0.20 off per gallon when you spend $50.00 on grocerys...what ratings are we lookin for?

Old 06-11-2008, 10:52 AM
John M T
Junior User
Hi all,

I curious, what was the cetane rating before? i never really noticed.
what is it supposed to be for our rigs?

is it possible that some of the unscrupulous stations are adding water to their fuel when nobody is looking? after all, all diesels have a fuel/water seperator, so what would they care?

just playing Devils Advocate there.

John M T

Quick Reply: is your MPG low??? mine was till i opend my eyes.