1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Swap big tow mirrors for smaller sissy mirrors.

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 01:47 PM
Neal 97 250
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Swap big tow mirrors for smaller sissy mirrors.

Here's the story:
My wife drives the Excursion and wants to sell it because "it is too big". Well she has driven this thing no problem and liked it for over a year and a half.
This all starts when she high fived another trucks mirror with hers and all of a sudden the EX got 3 feet wider to hear her tell it. "It's too big" ( now say that in a squeeky voice)

I finally got her to agree to keep it if I put the smaller mirrors on there that I have seen on other Excursions.

Has anybody done this swap or does anybody want big mirrors in exchange for their small ones?

Where would be the best place to find some? I looked at e-bay and found some but the auction ended too fast.

Will this swap be a plug and play like I hope it will be?

Ours is a 2000 model. Will the blinkers work in the mirror? Ours don't have them now.

Old 06-09-2008, 02:07 PM
MTDewX
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the swap is easy if you have the right plug. but I wouldn't think she will like it with the smaller mirrors, but then again woman tend to never use there mirriors anyway. (general statment)
I would give you mine, but I already gave them away cause I like my big mirrors. helps me see the smoke better when romp the little cars. hehe

Old 06-09-2008, 02:11 PM
Neal 97 250
Post Fiend
What plug will I need?
I can splice if necessary but prefer npt to. I saw some on ebay ,too expensive, butthey had several plugs big and small. looked like adapters. Then i saw some that only have a 2 prong plug. I will explore what I have tonight and compare to what I find. I guess I may have to wire the blinker option myself directly into the harness.

Why do you think she won't like the smaller mirrors?

Old 06-09-2008, 02:31 PM
MTDewX
Posting Guru
well I went the other way. if I remember right the plugs on the Non-heated/blinker type is a round plug. but when I up-graded to the bigger mirriors I need an adaptor to match the rectangle plug. then I ran an extra wire from each, cause I did not have heated mirrors before to a switch so I can turn them on manually when I need them. if there new they should come with the adaptor. I would take my door panel off to confirt what plug you have. I am guessing a white round one wiht three wires. (assuming you have power to them, but that is it)

I only said that she might not like the smaller mirrors cause there smaller and when you are used to the big ones its just different. they both work, but I like my mirrors bigger to see more. I just joked about woman not using them, cause I know many that Dont even look. and its scares me.
I am sure others will chime in. I have only done this job once.

Old 06-09-2008, 03:21 PM
Johan01
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey man, I've got the little mirrors all boxed up and ready to ship....Im out of town now and won't be back until this weekend, if you want them let me know and we'll work something out...there's only three wires, and I think I ended up cutting the wires to install the 08 mirrors.

Old 06-09-2008, 05:05 PM
mongo75
Postmaster
Neal- just don't let her drive it anymore!! That way you don't have to swap nothing but the driver!

At least she drives it- my wife refuses to drive my dually....

Old 06-09-2008, 05:19 PM
zx250
Of the next Riffraff East
Swap should be easy. I have a set in the basement as well. The came on the truck and stayed on there for a total of 2 weeks so they look brand new. They are electric with no heat. If you don't find you some, I know we can work something out.

Old 06-09-2008, 06:44 PM
whjco
Elder User
Neal,

I've got a pair of heated - remote control mirrors that came off of my 2000 Excursion that I could send you.

Old 06-09-2008, 07:26 PM
hucka1a
Postmaster
Neal,
I'm right up the road in Carter Co. I just took the paddle mirrors off my truck. The pass side is cracked but if ya want em just holler. No power, no heat, no signal

Old 06-09-2008, 07:31 PM
jdecker88
Post Fiend

If the tow mirrors are still in good shape you could sell them easily,the paddle mirrors are very easy to get it seemed like. If she is selling it why does she want to get the mirrors just wondering.

Old 06-09-2008, 07:55 PM
justblowin'smoke
Elder User
i'll send you mind if u pay shipping they are powered not heated though pm your address i'll try to figure out the shipping it might take me some time to get them shipped because i don't have a lot of time except on mondays when places are actually open but i'll try

Old 06-09-2008, 08:21 PM
TP83
Senior User
Jdecker, i think u missed the part that if he gets the smaller mirrors she will keep it, she doesn't like how much wider the tow mirrors are.

theres a ton of them on craigslist around here, maybe check that if you can't find any on here.

Old 06-09-2008, 08:23 PM
jdecker88
Post Fiend

Sorry about that Taylor lol, I was just skimming I have been away for a few days and trying to catch up on all these posts.

Old 06-10-2008, 06:27 AM
Neal 97 250
Post Fiend
WOW. Man you guys are helpful. I pulled the panel last night and I have two plugs. One is a small two prong with both black wires and the other is a white plug with purple, yellow and green wires in it. It is heated and power and it is a 2000 model. I assume the black ones are for heat and the others are for power.

I think it would be awesome to have heat, power AND the blinkers that are made in the mirror. I imagine I could wire the blinker but it is not necessary.

Thanks to all you guys that offered your lights to me. I should take one of you guys up on it. Reps will be sent to all for the awesome gesture. I will send some of you a PM on the mirrors.

MAN YOU GUYS ARE AWESOME. I am just a temporary transplant from the OBS column and you still treat me like family. Kool

Old 06-10-2008, 10:10 AM
papadelogan
Snowboard season cometh..

I don't think the paddle mirrors ever had signals in them, but I could be wrong. So the best you're likely to get for a 'match' per se is electric & heat. We take care of our own (PSD owners)

Quick Reply: Swap big tow mirrors for smaller sissy mirrors.