1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Brakes BRAKES -- WHERE ARE THE BRAKES ?!!?*

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 09:53 AM
FordFunKid
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
<b>UPDATE:</b>

Stopped at Autozone and picked up DOT 3 Heavy Duty Brake Fluid. I'm sure I looked like an idiot to all my neighbors but I drove and stopped at least 20 times up and down our street. And I noticed on the inside right rear tire about 6 oz of brake fluid running down. I also noticed on the rim there seem to be a lot of brake shoe dust.

I forgot to bring the Ford Manuel to work today but am I looking at a wheel cylinder or could the leak be due to either little or no shoe left on that drum?

Old 06-04-2008, 11:41 AM
manglass
More Turbo
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
"And I noticed on the inside right rear tire about 6 oz of brake fluid running down."

If it was coming from near the top of the backing plate or the axle tube area, it may be a rusted steel line near the wheel cylinder. If it is a wheel cylinder, it will usually leak off the bottom of the backing plate, sometimes drip onto the drum which will tend to fling it around when driving. Hope that helps.

Lou Manglass

Old 06-04-2008, 12:03 PM
FordFunKid
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by manglass
"And I noticed on the inside right rear tire about 6 oz of brake fluid running down."

If it was coming from near the top of the backing plate or the axle tube area, it may be a rusted steel line near the wheel cylinder. If it is a wheel cylinder, it will usually leak off the bottom of the backing plate, sometimes drip onto the drum which will tend to fling it around when driving. Hope that helps.

Lou Manglass
It does, I'm really thinking wheel cylinder which, after checking part prices, might save my new paint job.

Thanx Everyone!!

Old 07-10-2008, 10:37 PM
B/B ford
Clean & Classy

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Early 9" auto brake adjusters

Originally Posted by bobbytnm
If you are going to go to the trouble of doing a complete brake job you might consider upgrading the brake adjusters to the later style automatic adjusters. Its an easy enough swap.

Ford went to automatic adjusters somewhere around 1966 so all you need to do is buy the adjuster kit and the spring kit for a 1966 or newer truck. I know they have the parts at NAPA. It turns out you need both the spring kit and the hardware kit so thats basically buying two kits per wheel. I have a 9" Ford differential from a 1960 truck in my 49, I added the self adjusters to it when I put it under the truck.

If this is your first brake job you would do well to have a good diagram of how it all fits together, AND (now this is important) only take apart one side at a time. That way when you get confused (and it happens...lol) you can refer to the other side to make sure you are going back together correctly.

Good luck with it
Bobby

Thanks to Bobby and the other guys that posted on this subject. I was able to go down to my local parts store and buy the necessary kits to convert my rear brakes to automatic adjusters for under $50. Adjusting them by hand was a pain.

I used kits for a 68 ford truck.