Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Boxing the frame or not

Old 06-02-2008, 01:26 PM
Rokcrln
Senior User
Rokcrln has a good reputation on FTE.Rokcrln has a good reputation on FTE.
You are so right about it it all ends up not liking to play together. I build alot of air suspension set ups and you really do need to start from day one with the air system in mind. But their are alot of different things you can do to make things fit. I normaly run dual electric compressors and they may not be able to be side by side but one might be up front and one on the pass side under the bed out side the frame. For tanks a nive 5gal if perfect but I also might run 3 2gal tanks mounted here and their if I don't have the room in a standard location. Heck I even had a system in a rockcrawler were I built the entire rollcage as my air tank just because their was no room. On these old trucks a good spot is before you box in your frame is to make a few tanks out of 2x4 x1/8 tube and mount them in side the frame with screw in fittings so you have access to the fittings when you box in the entire frame. Nothing says air tanks have to be big or round. Do what fits and just make sure it is over built for safty and if you want a second set of eyes just let me know. I will be starting my sons 51 here in a few more weeks and it will be bagged front and rear and fully boxed.

Kevin
LFD Inc.

Old 06-02-2008, 01:45 PM
sdetweil
Post Fiend
sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.
Thanks Kevin.. thinking outside (oops INSIDE) the box makes the space usable.. I have considered hanging the pump upside down from the top of the frame rail on the outside behind the bed wall. can't do it sideways as the pump is 1/2 inch taller than the opening.

I need to get the exhaust done before I mount the pump..
I've got a 3 gal tank, just handling 2 bags on the rear.

Sam

Old 06-17-2008, 12:21 AM
BACAGrizz
Posting Guru
BACAGrizz has a good reputation on FTE.BACAGrizz has a good reputation on FTE.
Where to put the air ride stuff.

I am planning to put in air ride tech stuff and planned to put the fuel tank out back. I think I may be able to put the airpod (when I can afford it) where the fuel tank used to be in the cab and route the exhaust lines outside the cab to remove the hissing sound. Is this a realistic idea? Anyone have any experience with it?

Old 06-17-2008, 06:07 AM
sdetweil
Post Fiend
sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.
I think you would still hear the are releasing from the tank if it were in the cab. I put my tank under the passenger side of the cab on the outside of the frame, where the battery used to be.

I found a good place for the air pump, on the outside of the frame rail, between the bed wall and the frame at the front of the bed. I am using a mount bracket from Suicide Doors (.com).

Sam