1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Saying Hi and looking forward to my time at this forum

Old 05-29-2008, 12:18 AM
W.Grills
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Saying Hi and looking forward to my time at this forum

Hi Everyone, I've just become the proud new owner of a beautifully un-altered and rusty 1953 M-100 so I thought I'd register and say "Hi".

The truck was my dad's and after I sold it 28 years ago it has come back to me. It is just sitting out in the praire weather and waiting for me to travel the 1000 mi to get her. I have yet to acually see what shape she's in but the farmer said she is all there, execpt the engine is probably seised, and the front axle was used to build a trailer.

I've never built a truck before, so I'll probably be tapping into the knowledge on this forum a lot. I'll try not to ask any dumb questions. I've always wanted to do this though, and I can't wait to get started.

Anyway, I just wanted to introduce myself and say "Hi".

First question, of all the companies out there offering IFS kits, which one do you consider the best?

Thanks everyone.

Old 05-29-2008, 12:48 AM
HotRodGuy
Freshman User
WELCOME! You came to the right place! Look around and read...you will find pretty much anything you can think of asking, but if you can't, just ask...the only dumb question is the one never asked! As for the IFS kits, i would recommend looking into a HEIGHTS Mustang II. There are plenty of companies and reputable hot rod shops out there that manufacture them. Other than that i would suggest just doing a search and/or see what other guys on here have to say.

Old 05-29-2008, 06:08 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Welcome to FTE. There are several IFS kits available. The MII or Dakota are good choices. If you're more of a do it yourselfer or you're on a budget look at the venerable Volare or the Jaguar IFS. Good luck on your project.

Old 05-29-2008, 06:54 AM
mt54
Posting Guru
Welcome, We're glad to have ya here.
IFS as Vern stated many many choices

Good Luck with the build, keep us posted

Old 05-29-2008, 07:19 AM
cmoritz
Posting Guru
Welcome to FTE, I think it's Great your able to pick-up Dad's Old Pick-up! As for the dumb questions, they're ok too! You will also find good dumb answers on this site!...LoL It's all part of the good natured fun in the rebuild process...So get at it!

Old 05-29-2008, 07:50 AM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,769 Likes on 1,817 Posts
Welcome aboard. Tahts pretty cool that your dad's truck found its way back to you.

When you get it home take lots of pics, we love pics around here.

Enjoy the ride
Bobby

Old 05-29-2008, 08:44 AM
gdgerland
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome to FTE!!! Take a look at the sticky at the top of the forum (FAQ) Lots of good info on IFS. Looking forward to watching your progress. Now, GO GET IT, and get started.

Gil

Old 05-29-2008, 08:45 AM
dave boley
Posting Guru
Front Axle...

Originally Posted by W.Grills
Hi Everyone, I've just become the proud new owner of a beautifully un-altered and rusty 1953 M-100 so I thought I'd register and say "Hi".

The truck was my dad's and after I sold it 28 years ago it has come back to me. It is just sitting out in the praire weather and waiting for me to travel the 1000 mi to get her. I have yet to acually see what shape she's in but the farmer said she is all there, execpt the engine is probably seised, and the front axle was used to build a trailer.

I've never built a truck before, so I'll probably be tapping into the knowledge on this forum a lot. I'll try not to ask any dumb questions. I've always wanted to do this though, and I can't wait to get started.

Anyway, I just wanted to introduce myself and say "Hi".

First question, of all the companies out there offering IFS kits, which one do you consider the best?

Thanks everyone.
Hi and Welcome,
If you are looking for an IFS kit you are probably not interested in this but... I have a '53F-100 that I will be taking the front axel as well as the whole chassis off of. Since you said you have an M-100 I am going to assume that you are in Canada and since you mentioned a prarie you may be way too far away to care about it. Anyway, I will probably be taking the '53 apart later this Summer after I finish another project I have going.

BTW, go to your profile and enter your location. It really comes in handy when guys are trying to figure out where you live. That way they know if you might be a good prospect for buying, selling or swaping parts. I hope you have a great time fixing up that old truck and since it was in your family before I'm sure it will have sentimental value added.

Later Man...

Old 05-29-2008, 02:20 PM
Jag Red 54
Logistics Pro
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome, only one post, so I presume you are gone picking up the truck. Please post pix. Jag

Old 05-29-2008, 07:09 PM
6ooh
New User
Uhh, is there an echo in here? Anyway, welcome!

Old 05-29-2008, 07:43 PM
defyrftr
Post Fiend
Welcome to the forum. You will for find a lot of info here. I am in the gathering stage for my 53 as well. Just waiting on money to appear. lol

Old 05-29-2008, 08:13 PM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
Received 44 Likes on 28 Posts
I've been waiting several years now for money to appear, myself...lol. Welcome to FTE, and look forward to seeing a Mercury!!

Old 05-29-2008, 09:18 PM
Dustin1690
Post Fiend
Welcome congrats on the new to you M100......

Old 05-29-2008, 10:06 PM
restoringmy46
Elder User
Welcome and like they all ready said there is no dumb questions. Take lots of pics and make a gallery.

Scott B.

Old 05-30-2008, 12:53 AM
W.Grills
New User
Wow, I'm overwelmed. Thanks for all the greetings. I'm in the Navy and am flying out in a couple of months to meet my ship, so I won't be able to go an pick up the truck until the end of August. Does anyone know the best and least expensive way to ship truck to the west coast?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Saying Hi and looking forward to my time at this forum