2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

looking for exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 07:32 PM
MichiganHunter
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
looking for exhaust

I just bought a 06 f150 4x4, and it is way to quiet! I am looking to do a cat back exhaust and was wondering if anyone has put one on there truck that sounds "loud"/ I mean a more aggressive rumble. I have looked at Gibso and Magnaflow sites and have heard some sounds but the computer really does not do no justice on the sounds, If anyone has any input i would apprecuiate it, Thanks.

Old 05-27-2008, 07:50 PM
FLAgtSTANG302
New User
at work i just installed a set of gibson headders and exhaust on a cheby duramax motor and to me the quality of headders was not all that, it was nice sounding tho

Old 05-27-2008, 09:28 PM
mattd17
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
i have the magnaflow SISO setup. its is great IMO, but its not terribly loud.... i would say that your best bet to be truly happy and sure you get what you want is to hear different setups in person. i think a flowmaster setup could get you a louder tone, but will be more susceptable to in-cab drone.

Old 05-28-2008, 01:05 AM
rockstate45
Posting Guru
If you want an AWESOME rumble get Borla. I have them on my truck and I love them. I have yet to have one day go by where I listen to only my radio and drown out my exhaust. I always listen to my exhaust or with my radio like a 1/3 of the way up so I hear mostly my exhaust.

Here's a few clips of it:

100_2095.flv - Video - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Video of 2007_Tundra_Flyby_Best - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Video of 2007_Tundra_Rev/Idle - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Sorry for Wagon Wheel in that one. It's a great song lol.

-rockstate

Old 05-28-2008, 01:32 AM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
here are some better vids of mine compared to what Magnaflow.Com has

0-45 mph acceleration
20-80 mph acceleration
Little bit of driving off the beaten track

my truck has the Magnaflow SIDO kit #16614. Works great, sounds great, leaks great. Well worth the price. You can find cheaper exhausts, but you get what you pay for.

btw, I've got a CAI installed. So some of that noise is the Volant. Not all, but the CAI is noisy by itself. Still, I think the majority of the sound is exhaust

Old 05-28-2008, 01:57 AM
barecove
Elder User
I have the magnaflow sido rear setup also... love it... throaty yet not so loud as to drive you out of the cab... can hear the radio and very minimal drone if any at highway speeds...... if you want that REALLY loud sound... go with flowmaster......

Old 05-28-2008, 05:05 AM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Originally Posted by tylus
leaks great.
meant looks great

I would avoid Flowmasters. they really are loud, but that loudness causes rattling and a really obnoxious droning at highway speeds

black thing in my sig pic has 'em...can't wait to get Maggies installed instead

Old 05-28-2008, 08:02 AM
barecove
Elder User
meant looks great
was wondering about that.......

Old 05-28-2008, 06:54 PM
wedwokt
Freshman User
We have the Flowmaster setup on ours. I think it's the Force II system. 3" in and 3" out single exit. We loved the sound and performance enhancements so much from our 2005 regular cab....we bought the same system when we got our 2006 SCrew used about 6 months ago. No in-cab drone to mention,but sounds great outside!!

Old 05-28-2008, 07:52 PM
442w30
Senior User
I've posted this before and am not trying to hijack thread. After the 3rd truck in the latest body style with exact same specs, 5.4 SCAB 3.73 4x4 03 & 04 had Magnaflow's, sounded great good quality. My 08 with stock exhaust provides more low end torque than the previous two. Just my own butt-o-meter feeling.

Old 05-28-2008, 08:07 PM
barecove
Elder User
IF IT MATTERS TO YOU HOW LONG IT WILL LAST... THE MAGNAFLOW I HAVE IS STAINLESS FROM FRONT TO BACK........

sorry about the caps.... didn't see the lock on.... wasn't yelling

Old 05-28-2008, 08:15 PM
The Oldtimer
Senior User
meant looks great

I would avoid Flowmasters. they really are loud, but that loudness causes rattling and a really obnoxious droning at highway speeds

black thing in my sig pic has 'em...can't wait to get Maggies installed instead

I have a FlowMaster cat back siso 50 series and it sounds great...rattling and obnoxious drone? not even...and at half the price it's a better deal.

Your black thing is a mopar...nuff said...!!!

Old 05-28-2008, 10:50 PM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

I've had 3 different Flowmaster exhausts...Chevy/Ford/Dodge...all 300+ V-8's. they all droned at highway speeds. It wasn't until I bought my Magnaflow that I realized what a quality exhaust was truly about. Flowmaster is decent at best...and cheap, but you get what you pay for.

yes, the current rattling is due to the Mopar effect. but the rattling only occurs at certain speeds when the muffler gets its drone on...usually 55-60 mph

btw, Gibson is a good company also, but it is very quiet.

Old 05-29-2008, 01:24 AM
The Oldtimer
Senior User
I've had 3 different Flowmaster exhausts...Chevy/Ford/Dodge...all 300+ V-8's. they all droned at highway speeds. It wasn't until I bought my Magnaflow that I realized what a quality exhaust was truly about. Flowmaster is decent at best...and cheap, but you get what you pay for.

yes, the current rattling is due to the Mopar effect. but the rattling only occurs at certain speeds when the muffler gets its drone on...usually 55-60 mph

btw, Gibson is a good company also, but it is very quiet.
You seem to be equating quality with sound. Sound is subjective...a personal choice.

FlowMaster is less expensive because it is made with aluminized materials, Magnaflow is stainless steel, which is more expensive. The magnaflow sound comes from the sound absorbent packing in the muffler.

Just because you prefer the Magnaflow sound over the FlowMasters does not make it a better product. I think that Magnaflow is overrated..SS is nice, but it isn't necessary...it's overkill...but that is just my opinion.

Old 05-29-2008, 01:30 AM
rockstate45
Posting Guru
All I know is that your exhaust will rust if you live in a place prone to it. If I lived in Cali, I wouldn't give two ****s about what kinda pipes I was runnin. However, I do not live in Cali. I live in the midwest with a lot of salt. T304 stainless was a priority to me and I liked the way Borla set up their system. I'd heard it on my buddy's Goat and another friend's Z06 Vette and it was absolutely beautiful. I knew I would get a sound I was looking for with Borla. Seems kinda like catch catch can with the others.

I did hear Magnaflow on my buddy's F150 and it sounded quite a bit like Flowmaster to me. It is the rear exit like my Borla. My Borla was a deeper sound and it was even a bit louder inside the cab. I dunno if it's louder outside the cab or not though. I haven't been on the highway in my buddy's F150 either so I can't tell ya if it drones more or less than my Borla (in my subjective opinion). Speaking of opinions, I don't have any drone with my Borla and I drive 13-14 hours to and from school so I have a long time to listen to my exhaust lol.

-rockstate

Quick Reply: looking for exhaust