1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Monster TRUCK!

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2008, 09:15 AM
IcemanV8
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That is one bad *** truck.

Old 05-31-2008, 10:14 AM
igotoneforya
Elder User
Ignore the tossers, keep building. Start the build with pics and post them.

Im sure you are not driving aggresively on the street. The things that break will get upgraded first. 53s will speed up that process! Some comments were geared toward safety and some just to hate. There have been people driving unsafe builds that really did not know it was not safe.

As to the original question, DC wheels handle up to 3400 pounds per...that is sufficient-barely. If you have the wheels and someone will do it, I would try but take it real easy. Those tires should really have beefy rims, like the military split rings. If you do not have them, wait until you decide on axles. You dont want to buy wheels twice as DC wheels only go to 8 lug. The michelins weigh close to 600 pounds when mounted. You will notice that weight!!! It will find a weak link. I have thought long and often about going to 38 Michelin XMLs. They are heavier than every other 38 as well.

Good luck and take pics.pics.pics.pics

Old 05-31-2008, 01:20 PM
quadzjr
just another Rockwell looser
Originally Posted by Greywolf
One of the biggest axles you can get. Thick steel don't bust in a bog...

*I could be wrong - it may be thirty eight, but I doubt it. Either way, get the biggest SOB you can, made of the best steel out there.
what axle are you talking about?

are you talking about the 2" 47 splines for the rockwell?

Old 05-31-2008, 01:23 PM
quadzjr
Originally Posted by igotoneforya
The michelins weigh close to 600 pounds when mounted.

wrong......my 53" michelins and staz db's weighed in at about 450lb's each........either way, its still alot!

Old 05-31-2008, 06:43 PM
igotoneforya
Elder User
Originally Posted by quadzjr
wrong......my 53" michelins and staz db's weighed in at about 450lb's each........either way, its still alot!
Thanks for the correction. I have worked in a military motorpool and the largest 52/53 that we weighed was just under 600 pounds. That is a mounted weight. I'm sure you can find lighter rims than what we used and I'm sure there are many tread patterns available. We had a few different ones. It was not meant to be the end all, just offering the weight. I did not know you had the right answer.

My apology for leading someone astray.

Old 05-31-2008, 07:29 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
what axle are you talking about?

are you talking about the 2" 47 splines for the rockwell?
I have absolutely no idea, and am not afraid to admit it!

I did read something a long while ago about converting nine inch back ends to heavy axles but it's a dim memory now since I've gotten out of heavy trucks and am going with small and fast as the way forward...

Old 05-31-2008, 07:50 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
HEY MAN!

You need to put a picture of this truck in the offroad and 4X4 picture contest like RIGHT NOW!!!

This is the very last day to enter....

Old 06-01-2008, 07:20 AM
Moto52
Senior User
I can't believe all the cry babys sayin how thestock axles and brakes aren't strong enough and itsdangerous on the street. you have obvously no idea what the stock stuff is capable of. A close friend of mine has a 2002 f-350 with a 12'' lift and 49'' tires stock axles and brakes and that truck gets the **** beat out of it offroading and we even jumped it aout 3 feet in the air and it never broke i have a video here of it i hope it works for you doubters to see. http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=2494326881

Old 06-01-2008, 07:29 PM
quadzjr
Originally Posted by Moto52
I can't believe all the cry babys sayin how thestock axles and brakes aren't strong enough and itsdangerous on the street. you have obvously no idea what the stock stuff is capable of. A close friend of mine has a 2002 f-350 with a 12'' lift and 49'' tires stock axles and brakes and that truck gets the **** beat out of it offroading and we even jumped it aout 3 feet in the air and it never broke i have a video here of it i hope it works for you doubters to see. http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=2494326881

WTF????????

yeah!!! good one, im sure he beats the chit out of it with 49's on stock axles.......tard.....

Old 06-01-2008, 07:45 PM
Moto52
Senior User
what the hell is your problem, I was just readin 5 pages of guys sayin you can' t have bg tires on stock axles why does my buddys truck work fine??

Old 06-01-2008, 08:13 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
WTF????????

yeah!!! good one, im sure he beats the chit out of it with 49's on stock axles.......tard.....
Hey now - let's cut out the name calling and such right here from the start. I know we all have different opinions, and some of those opinions are budget driven. Others are driven by solid unswerving belief in how tough ford drivelines are right from the factory.

But this is FTE, and here we have a tradition of agreeing to disagree without getting mean or personal about it - so lets keep it decent, letting the tale be told based on experience, physics, vehicle dynamics, and avoid making enemies out of people we just might really treasure as friends of ours later on down the road...

A doggone axle would be a heck of a silly thing to have a thread closed over, now wouldn't it?

~Wolfie

Old 06-01-2008, 08:23 PM
STGFordCrazy04
Post Fiend
Greywolf,
while I see where you are coming from, I think both Nick (quadzjr) and myself are frustrated with this thread and our emotions overtake our better judgement. Name calling is a biproduct.

Im not going to split hairs with any of you over this. SD dana 60s are one of the weaker 60s because of their unit bearings ball joints and hub design. The rear sterling can handle the 53s in moderation but its right on the fence. I know what Im talking about as does Nick. This build should have rocks under it...end of story.

I prefer to build the truck then buy the tires not buy the tires and hope the rest can keep up.

Old 06-01-2008, 08:32 PM
thorseshoeing
decadent and depraved

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I can't believe all the cry babys sayin how thestock axles and brakes aren't strong enough and itsdangerous on the street. you have obvously no idea what the stock stuff is capable of. A
Dude, these guys know exactly what the stock components are capable of...That's why they're saying change it...

And as far as your friends truck...how often does he do that...and your definition of giving it hell and these guys here might be different...

Tim

Old 06-01-2008, 09:04 PM
quadzjr
what the hell is your problem, I was just readin 5 pages of guys sayin you can' t have bg tires on stock axles why does my buddys truck work fine??
im saying that 49's and d60s just dont work together when wheeling.....ive seen them break COUNTLESS times....

Old 06-01-2008, 09:06 PM
quadzjr
Originally Posted by Greywolf
Hey now - let's cut out the name calling and such right here from the start. I know we all have different opinions, and some of those opinions are budget driven. Others are driven by solid unswerving belief in how tough ford drivelines are right from the factory.

But this is FTE, and here we have a tradition of agreeing to disagree without getting mean or personal about it - so lets keep it decent, letting the tale be told based on experience, physics, vehicle dynamics, and avoid making enemies out of people we just might really treasure as friends of ours later on down the road...

A doggone axle would be a heck of a silly thing to have a thread closed over, now wouldn't it?

~Wolfie

your right......

and i apologive to you moto52.......

Quick Reply: Monster TRUCK!