Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

7.3 can't make power - 1247 low boost

Old 05-30-2008, 06:38 AM
BlackJeep
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ray,

Thanks for the advice, I don't like expensive repairs much myself... :-)

I was thinking about the muffler also, it looks original. I may gently remove it (Sawzall) this weekend and giev it a try. I was planning on a 4" turbo back system anyway. No time like the present!

If it needs a turbo I'll do the up-pipes, exhaust system and turbo at the same time. It looks like with the exhaust and turbo out I'll have the best shot at the up-pipes. Have you heard people mention new IH up-pipes (bellowed)? Anybody have a picture or link to them?

John

Old 05-30-2008, 07:01 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 778 Likes on 594 Posts
If you still have your stock exhaust you can disconnect the two bolts that hold the downpipe to the exhaust system and it will separate from there. Very easy way to open up the exhaust to verify a clogged muffler or not with not cutting pipe at all.
I think that the bellowed pipes are on national back order right now, due to the fact that work got out about how good they were and all the inventory got sold. They are in the process of making some more right now.
Is the wastegate lever adjusted correctly?
Or perhaps the spring inside the canister is broken?
If you apply some air pressure to the diaphram canister that is mounted on the rear side of the intake housing the lever should not move until at least 5 psi is applied. I have mine set to not moving until 10-12. The adjustment is done by disconnecting the lever from the rod and turning the end to adjust it for length.

Old 05-30-2008, 01:46 PM
BlackJeep
Senior User
Thanks Dan.

I'll try the wastegate adjustment you mentioned, it's one more thing I can try before spending big bucks. How can I tell when the wastegate is open / closed? Can you see the opening?

John

Old 05-30-2008, 04:42 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by BlackJeep
Thanks Dan.

I'll try the wastegate adjustment you mentioned, it's one more thing I can try before spending big bucks. How can I tell when the wastegate is open / closed? Can you see the opening?

John
It will be closed when the lever is pointing straight back. Apply a little air pressure to the canister and the rod will extend, moving the lever. Wastegate is now open. Release the air pressure and the spring pressure inside the canister pulls the rod, pulling the lever back to the closed position.
Wastegate default position is closed with the spring inside the canister holding it closed. If you can move the lever with your hand easily without adding air pressure, you just found the problem. If it is properly adjusted with no problems that lever is VERY stiff to move without air pressure assistance to the canister.

Old 05-30-2008, 04:43 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Oh, and get some spare clips before you disconnect the wastegate lever. They like to go into orbit when they come off and it is much easier to buy a few spare clips ahead of time rather than sweating, trying to find the single one you just lost.

Old 05-30-2008, 05:10 PM
MR5x5
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
John,

Have you tracked down the 1211 ICP code? Possibly a bad ICP sensor. Unplug it and go for a drive. With the ICP unplugged the PCM will default to an internal fuel map. It will not hurt to run the truck with it unplugged.

Old 05-30-2008, 08:29 PM
BlackJeep
Senior User
Dan,

You hit it on the head!! I looked over the wastegate, it looks OK, it's hard to pull open. I put some air pressure (<10 lbs but hard to measure that low) and it opens up. It closes nice and gently when the air is removed.

So I decided to remove the hose from the actuator and plug the hose. I could tell the difference while backing out of the driveway, the first time I've heard the turbo whistle! I took it for a ride around the block, if I put my foot into it the boost would rise quickly to 12-13 lbs.

I took it back home and hooked my 9000 lb trailer up to it and took it on the higway. NOW I have a grin on my face. It pulled it up the ramp with ease, accelerating to 70 it hits about 20 lbs of boost at 2500 RPM. It stayed less than 1000 degrees EGT the whole time. Cruising at 65-70 was smooth, plenty of power and cool EGTs.

So, maybe the wastegate is mal-adjusted? It sure works great without it.. I still need to fix the up-pipes, maybe that's why it was soo low on boost in the first place. Is there any harm running like this?

Old 05-30-2008, 10:21 PM
rbaker6336
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
glad it turned out easy
if you are only building 20 lbs it won't hurt to run it that way,the turbos really don't like more than 25lbs and it shouldn't defuel til 22lbs

It seems the boost you were building was going straight to the WG actuator or the actuator spring is super weak

Old 05-31-2008, 10:26 AM
danskool
Go Bills !
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Sounds like his was set to 10psi as Dan suggested(10-12). What would cause it to open prematurely then?

Dan

Old 06-01-2008, 08:12 AM
danskool
Go Bills !
Still Curious.
BlackJeep States:
Wastegate Appearance , Ok
10psi (approx) open, OK
Operation under presure, ok
Hard to rotate (spring force), ok.
Still don't work. But unplug it and Wala? I am curious. Maybe his gauge was actually reading 6psi instead of 10? A leak somewere?

Might be a stupid question. This was a curious thread for me. And it just stopped at the punch line.. hehe..

Dan

Old 06-01-2008, 11:00 AM
BlackJeep
Senior User
Dan,

I have no idea why it is the way it is. I suspect the leaking up-pipes are reducing efficiency, as is the badly worn compressor wheel. Perhaps with these inefficiencies PLUS the wastegate bleeding off some pressure, it comes up short.

What I can tell you is that this thing runs like a new truck now! It pulls nearly as hard as my 2005 Dodge / Cummins (325/600). I am very pleased with the performance and look forward to improving it even more (mods to come).

So after I get back from the Pocono 500 it's getting a new compressor wheel, repaired up-pipes and a 4" turbo back exhaust. Then I'll re-connect the wastegate and try to adjust it.

When all of this is done I'll be sure to let you in on the results, I'd hate to leave you with a cliff hanger. :-)

John

Old 06-01-2008, 11:16 AM
rckrwlr
Senior User
I had the same problem you have. I found a loose clamp. befor you spend any money check all of you connections from the motor back thru the motor. watch you EGT untill you get it fixed.

Old 06-01-2008, 11:27 AM
rbaker6336
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
another .02 but I think either a line is hooked up wrong or the WG valve is bad (not sure if thats correct name)
If I remember correctly the Map sensor (been replaced) reads the boost level then sends a signal to a valve that operates the WG actuator
from his symtoms boost is going directly to the actuator
just something else to check

Old 06-01-2008, 11:47 AM
PaysonPSD
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Could the red and green tubes to the wastegate solenoid be reversed?

Here are a couple of pics.

Attached Images   
Old 06-01-2008, 02:38 PM
danskool
Go Bills !
Just seems odd to me that if you unplug it your a happy camper. When it shouldn't open until 10-12psi by control of the map. That must mean it is opening way to early or at start up if i am understanding it right. I am rather new to PSD and learning everyday. I am just wanting to learn the solution for it for future reference.. Wonder if Robin is right, Hoses on backwards?

Dan

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 7.3 can't make power - 1247 low boost