Question for all you F.I. V6 experts. Whats the best Ford V6?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2003, 06:00 PM
battered_bronco
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ah 60 horse but how high is the peak torque 4600rpm? what good is that in a truck(or any thing heavy for that matter) if I remember thats how all this got started i want my torque right off idle where i can use it if i was pro racing this would be less of a concern
i know this is wandering off topic thats why i like the m block but i read of a guy that wanted a modular v10 in his old truck which would be cool looking any way the modular v-8 fall right in with the wheezer engine great for a car, sport/light(under say 4000 pound) truck imo

Old 03-11-2003, 09:34 PM
DOHCmarauder
Postmaster

ret

Originally posted by zippinz
[updated:LAST EDITED ON 24-Jul-02 AT 06:35 PM (EST)]Ah heck, why don't you go ahead and splurge and go with a Boss 429 SOHC ? Now there's a motor that's not real typical. I think you'd have to be a millionaire, though. And probably, a genius to keep it running right.

Seriously, how about one of those SHO V-8's. You'd be monkeying around with putting in a computer and everything, but might be cool if you did it. Might only take 2 or 3 years, think of the fun you'll have.

I'll agree that a BOSS 429 SOHC would not be "real typical" since there has never been such an animal.

Trying to be unique is admirable (expensive too) If I wanted to do this I might try to find a late 80's/early 90's Supercoupe. A 3.8 with a factory supercharger and all the right internals to begin with(forged crank/pistons etc.) Good Luck!!

(sorry if this has already been suggested)

Old 03-13-2003, 06:39 AM
bumpin_BII
Senior User

well i on the 3.8 i have so far no blown head gaskets although it needs a valve cover gasket. runs pretty good. resonsive and torquie. only thing on the 2.9s that ****** me off is the fact that over 3k reps its weak but anything uder that and you think your driving a 4.6. i dont have much expierence with 4'0's but they are good enginges as far as i know. but if its a street beast STAY AWAY FROM THE 2.9'S.... they have no upper end power what so ever. these are pure 4X4 engines (or atleast myne is). they great for offroading though. light whieght so you dont sink to much torquie and very reliable if taken care of. but im still going to build a custom 2.9 just to see what i can do with it.

Old 03-14-2003, 12:32 PM
Majisto
Senior User

Originally posted by bumpin_BII
well i on the 3.8 i have so far no blown head gaskets although it needs a valve cover gasket. runs pretty good. resonsive and torquie. only thing on the 2.9s that ****** me off is the fact that over 3k reps its weak but anything uder that and you think your driving a 4.6. i dont have much expierence with 4'0's but they are good enginges as far as i know. but if its a street beast STAY AWAY FROM THE 2.9'S.... they have no upper end power what so ever. these are pure 4X4 engines (or atleast myne is). they great for offroading though. light whieght so you dont sink to much torquie and very reliable if taken care of. but im still going to build a custom 2.9 just to see what i can do with it.
Well see, this is the point. The 2.9 is too small of an engine to breathe up high in the RPMs to give you a lot of peak horespower, so it was bored out to make the 4.0 SOHC 4.0 has no problem with its peak horsepower at 5,200 RPMs, and with 4.10s it has no problem getting up there quickly.

The 2.9 engine family is by far one of the strongest V-6s ever made, and that's a fact, jack

Old 03-20-2003, 06:59 PM
rusty ol ranger
New User

Ill have to say the 2.9L. Its got awsome low end grunt, but does lack above 3500RPM. I have over 300,000 miles on mine, it fires everytime, don't burn oil, and will still roast the tires if i want (5sp). I bought it brand new in April of 1987, with 1\2 a mile, and its been goin ever since.

I love the 2.9L.

later,
Dustin

Old 03-21-2003, 06:38 AM
battered_bronco
Elder User

in a small car or truck a 2.9 or bout any decient 6 will pull quite nicely
all though if you look at the power rating specificly at the rpm of the max torque

theoriginal post says he is looking for a six for a RANCERO!

these things are heavy and what will pull a ranger or what not will NOT pull well in this

please make posts in mind of it

i don't personally think a 6 of this nature will pull enough for this

personally i would say I-6 if you are good you might find a 250 aussie this thing is the envy of all who have looked at it, including the head of us ford marketing which commented that he also wounders why he can't get this engine stateside

given that the wide bank 4.5 svo engine is very expensive if that can't be done

iwould stick with a BUILT I-6 250-300ci or a built 3.8 NOT the front wheel drive engine as they are not stong enough 3.8 from a mustang or older ranger/areostar.

early is important in most engine as they usually are heavier an as time passes they get lightened on the cylinder wall out side meaning you can't bore it as far safely

time to go yarding
good luck

Old 04-09-2003, 12:42 AM
Oceanwave
Senior User

I've asked a similar question on the Aerostar Forum. No replys??
I've learned to look around these forums and way back in the archives for answers. But I digress. I think the original question back in July was, What is the best Ford V6 to install in my 2,600 Lb. Ranchero? My guess is that any V6 except the 2.9L would have more than enough power and after-market modifications available to make a 2,600 Lb Frame Skoot. With a good build, the right gearing and a little N2 who knows? Of course you could stay with your original inline 6, do a Clifford 6=8 build on it, update the tranny & rear end, Pinto, Rack & Pinion up front. Hmmm anybody know where I can find a decent 60's Ranchero??
JK