Aerostar Ford Aerostar

Aero totaled by Mother's Day Storm

Old 05-23-2008, 09:00 PM
tom_foreman
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aero totaled by Mother's Day Storm

It seems I lost two vehicles in the Mother's day storm that went though Georgia. According to the map the tornado went right through here but it didn't touchdown. We faired better than a lot of our neighbors however we totaled both our 96 Aerostar and my 90 Mazda Miata (first year too).

Yea, I got pictures. Some questions too. Let me see if I can past some pictures here.

OK that worked. so, I'll try some more.

These were taken by cell phone.

The damage is mainly just above the driver's head. The impact not only dented the roof, it bowed the sidewall. Now the door will not seal at either the top or bottom.

It's a wonder the window didn't break.

I'll get to my questions in the next post.

Old 05-23-2008, 09:07 PM
tom_foreman
Elder User
OK, So the insurance wants to total it. Well, actually they already have. They gave me two prices. One if I keep the van and one if I don't.

There is only $150 difference between so it seems a no-brainer to me.

Now, if I keep it, I have to sign it over to the insurance company. They will give me paperwork to fill out to try to get a salvage title. I will need to have the state inspect it too. After all that, I can only insure it for liability.

I could live with that. But how the heck do I get the door to seal. It has a 1-2 inch gap at the top.

It has 4 brand new tires and the engine is in very good condition. So what do I do with it.

1. Park it in back and part it out
2. Get salvage title and drive in good weather only
3. Sell for parts-car
4. Any other ideas?

Old 05-23-2008, 10:21 PM
DCRB
Posting Guru
how much do you want for it? lol minus the huge dent it looks like to be in CRAZY good shape. but seriously i'd fix it. it's not IMPOSSIBLE to do. rally people do it all the time.

edit: those side windows take alot of flex before they brake, i've helped my dad pop them out before when he locked his keys in @ the river.

also, i don't see why a new roof could be cut out and welded onto your car (after the beat up one was removed, of course)

Old 05-23-2008, 10:41 PM
JTHill24
Posting Guru
I don't understand why you would have to sign it over to the insurance company if you are going to keep it. When they totaled the car I had they just gave me $100.00 less on the settlement because thats what the local JY would give for it. I said what if I didn't want to sell. They said do whatever you want with the car.
If I was you I wouldn't let them force me to get a salvage title, Because until you sign over the Title it's still yours.

Now on to fixing it........Remove the head liner. Get a 2-ton jack. Put it under the dent,
put a 4x4 on top of the jack and under the dent, Jack up slowly, a little at a time. Moving the 4x4 when needed.
You can get it pretty close to where you need it.

JaY

Old 05-23-2008, 11:19 PM
tom_foreman
Elder User
I planed on doing the jack and 4x4. I'd like to know how to push the side back into place enough to snug up the door.

Interesting thing about the title: They totaled both vehicles in the picture. The Miata is cosmetic damage but enough to total and I get to keep the title. The van is different. I guess it's to make sure it safe to drive on the road. Before Georgia gives me a title they have to inspect.

Given all of that, since I have a full/regular title on the Miata, why can't I get it insured for full value. My company will only give me liability. Progressive will insure it but says that it will have a depreciated value but no one can tell me what that value is.

If nothing else I can use it as parts and spares for my 94 Aerostar. I'll probably swap the bumper and headlights at least.

So, any ideas on the bowed wall? Do you think the jack and 4x4 will do it?

Old 05-23-2008, 11:58 PM
Bear River
Former ******
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would personally find another Aerostar with a good body. That way, if you have a bummed out engine or tranny, you have everything you need in the totaled van. That way you don't have to mess with fixing a damaged body. I'm not saying that it can't be fixed, but Aerostars with bodies better than yours is now are plentiful and cheap.

Old 05-24-2008, 12:54 AM
JTHill24
Posting Guru
Tom:

When you lift it, it should pull in the bow but if it doesn't..........
Pull the van next to a tree (pass-side). Open both side windows.
Hook a come-a-long to the tree and run it through the side window.
put a 2x4 on the out side of the bow, open the driver's door.
Put a chain around the 2x4, through the open window and open door.
hook the Come-a-long to the chain a slowly pull the bow in.
Trying not to do more damage <BG>
Thinking about it you might be able to roll down the drivers window in the door.
shut the door and run the chain around both. Then when you pull in the bow you can see how it is lineing up with the door.

Old 05-24-2008, 02:26 AM
Pablo-UA
Post Fiend
To fix body of your aero is difficult but possible.

First of all remove rear seats, roof paneling and carpet. Use hiht body jack to press roof bar out.

Then bent a door back.

To repare roof weld steel ring on it and pull sheet metal out with impact tools.

use epoxy putty to make roof look like it was not bent.

Enforce roof bars welding in 2-4 mm steel. (it is weaken a bit after imopact).

Repaint damaged parts. Use paint code from plate.....

Old 05-24-2008, 02:51 AM
xlt4wd90
Lead Driver

Received 86 Likes on 75 Posts
If you do the jack thing and the come-along thing at the same time, you will have a better chance of straightening both the roof and the side pillar. That's how they were bent in the first place, and the best way to unbend them is to try to apply the same pressures at the same time.

Old 05-24-2008, 04:48 AM
Pablo-UA
Post Fiend
yeah!

but ufter they were bent back they should be enforced welding in bars and metal sheets to save you in case of roll-over crash

Old 05-24-2008, 08:02 AM
tom_foreman
Elder User
JT, you and I think a lot in common. I do have a couple of concerns with this approach. First, the window opening is not quite in the center of the bow. It still may work and that is the best idea so far. Second, the window will not open. But if I do the jack thing that may let the window open.

I guess all I need now is a 4x4 and a come-along.

I already have another Aerostar. It's a 94 with OBDI and this has OBDII. Different transmission too. But this tranny is a little flaky anyway. Still most parts will work.

So, what have I got to loose by trying. Worst case is I still part out or take to junk yard.

Old 05-24-2008, 09:37 AM
Pablo-UA
Post Fiend
You have risk to brake window. Remove it before.

and belive me this is rather easy to repare damage. 80% of work time is to take inrereor apart.

Old 05-25-2008, 05:09 AM
Pablo-UA
Post Fiend
I looked at pics one more time and see that roof enforcement is bent in only. Door is easier and cheapper to replace becouse there are many good doors on JYs.

You can use now materials that were not awailable when aero was made. Modern epoxy filling is more tought then a sheet metal roof is made of. Well, first of all push roof enforcment to have interrior heihgt simmetrical. Use jacks and hammers. Check it with measuring band. Do if when you try to push it it bends undamaged parts cut it with nibbler ore drill holes to weaken it and weld when it will be bent well, after that enforce it welding small sheets of metal it. No reason to heat. Do not worry, they will not be seen covered with trim.

But you will not make roof look like was before this tree punch.. So I advice you to remove paint from it, in several places weld wire grid pices in and use hight quality filling on epoxy base. Once I was surprized when after second accident learn that this filling is more strong then metal car was made of.

I think it is 3-5 days deal w/o painting. Your garage is not a body shop and you will get a lot of dust during paint works and as result a week later you will have a weekend to slik and polish to make dust dissapeare.

Old 05-25-2008, 05:10 AM
Pablo-UA
Post Fiend
I have forgoten to tell you how to ajust door. There are nuts you can acess from pedals area removing plastic cover....

Old 05-26-2008, 06:16 AM
rebocardo
Post Fiend
Tom,

There are Aerostars all over Craigslist in Atlanta for under $1200, $600 or less with blown transmissions, which is the usual reason they get junked anyways. I would just buy one with a blown tranny and swap yours in along with your interior.