Somebody explain the reason for 8 spark plugs in a 2.3L 4 cyl

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2004, 04:14 PM
seth1
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i don't know, but my 92 (94 engine) 2.3 with dual plugs gets about 24 mpg and 27 hwy.

Old 06-04-2004, 01:06 PM
01_4cyl
Freshman User
The reason for the plugs on the intake side is to remove most of the skin from your knuckles and the back of your hands.

Old 06-23-2004, 01:16 PM
Dirt_Road
New User
The Four sparkplugs are basically for emmissions. 2 plugs per cylinder, one for the intake stroke and one for the exhaust stroke. making cleaner combustion and cleaner exhaust. Maybe increases horse power but its the first Ive heard of it.

Old 06-23-2004, 03:01 PM
RangerMan98
New User
OEOICLDPEOCL:EO:EOKJ

Last edited by RangerMan98; 06-23-2004 at 03:18 PM.
Old 06-29-2004, 06:57 AM
Rancha9
Elder User
The best part is that the system is redundant... You can still drive around on only one coil, although it doesn't feel quite the same.

Old 07-02-2004, 05:24 PM
89bII4x2
Senior User
It must do something for HP or they wouldn't use 16 plugs and wires on top-fuel dragsters. they come from two different distributors probably so they can time them slightly different and burn all the fuel

Old 07-27-2004, 12:33 PM
heinekenbryan
New User
I just finished the lovely task of replacing all the sparkplugs and wires on my 97 b2300. In reconnecting the wires, I am not positive that I got one of the wires fully seated. The truck drives fine. Since the system is somewhat redundant, is the truck capable of normal firing if I didn't get that wire fully seated, or will I definitly notice when driving.

Old 08-22-2004, 09:17 PM
BrockwayMT
Senior User
it's so the Ford dealers can sell more $6 spark plugs

Old 08-22-2004, 10:48 PM
lala
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If anyones noticed, when a coilpack fires, it actually fires two plugs on one side... its just that one jug is at the top of the compressions stroke, and one on top of the intake... This is due to the fact that plugs 1&3, and 2&4 are indeed the same winding on the high voltage side, so the energy has to go somewhere, and to both it goes at once.

The plug on the other side does actually create a second burst of fuel in the envelope, creating a double burn that DOES increase power, and emission cleansing. This does have a huge impact on fuel economy, because when my one side died and the system ran on one coilpack, my economy dropped through the floor and i was burning 2x the gas.. plus it made the engine gutless, unless you revved it right up.

Also, the plugs can periodically alternate in the burn but i haven't heard much of this. I assume its an option in the EEPROM or ROM's OS that the programmer allowed for (i noticed something about this in the OS spec dump).

Although this system can be a pain in the rump, especially to change the #4 intake side plug, it does have a great advantage in getting a little more guts outtava 4cyl.

And for the history and past stories that i've seen with that little 4banger, between my own, my friend's and previous posts, hey, Hats off to Ford for making one of the few rare engines out there that never like to quit, and prefer to go kicking and screaming to their graves!

The following users liked this post:
Old 08-27-2004, 07:25 AM
Bart99GT
Laughing Gas
If anyone is familiar with the ignition system in piston driven aircraft, they use two plugs per cylinder as well. While the primary reason is for redundancy, it does provide a few extra horsepower because you're getting more complete combustion. There is a slight, but noticable drop in power if you turn off a magneto or have one fail on you in flight. You turn off one magneto at a time during a runup to observe and compare the RPM drop between the two ignition systems to insure they are working properly.

My Civic Hybrid also uses 2 plugs per cylinder as well. Honda says they designed the engine like that to improve fuel economy and emissions.

Bart

Old 08-27-2004, 10:26 AM
250FordTruck
Mountain Pass
So if the plugs are replaced with Splitfire's or the Bosh with 4 electrodes will you effectively have the equivelant of 16 or 32 sparkplugs? And would that make the air cleaner and reverse pollution?

I'm obviously joking so don't come down on me too hard.

Old 08-27-2004, 02:14 PM
Ahrimanes2
New User
I don't know why, but Bosch spark plugs and Fords haven't been a good combination for me. I have had several crack the ceramic near the lead tip in two different trucks. It seems to be worse on the newer engines, than on the 5.0's. I don't understand why this would happen, as I have run Bosch plugs in a '73 Karmann Ghia for years (Motorcraft plugs would last about a month before they went through core meltdown.) Ghias's run hot enough to scare you if you have a head temp gauge. If it hadn't been for some quick thinking and a shop vac, I'd been looking at removing the heads to dig out pieces of spark plug ceramic. The whole issue was backed up by a Ford tech telling me they had a lot of trucks missing come in for service with cracked Bosch plugs... of course he was backing his own product (Motorcraft) but I think it best to avoid them.

Oh yeah... 8 plugs. To prevent pre-ignition (knocking) at higher loads and/or lower RPMs and that pretty much the result of all that better burning. Most previous posts in this thread have covered allthe other pros (and cons) of having 8 plugs in four cyl.

Last edited by Ahrimanes2; 08-27-2004 at 02:24 PM. Reason: addon
Old 08-27-2004, 07:24 PM
BroncoRoadKill
Posting Guru
I have used bosch platnums in several trucks and have great results. I run them in my street buggy that has a flat 6 from a corvair, it runs hotter than any vw out there, also have them in my 92 ranger, and my dad's 3 service trucks, a 96 f-150 w/300 6
2 2000 f-150s w/4.6L And they work great.

GM cars and trucks don't work well with the bosch platnums, mainly the vortecs, cause the comp. reads the resistence of the plug and the difference between the ac delco and the bosch are different, the bosch has less ressistance. When I tried it on a car, it ran like it was hit'n'missing, then swapped in the ac delcos which are like 6 bucks a peice, it ran like a top.

Old 08-27-2004, 07:55 PM
Ahrimanes2
New User
I wish I had the same luck. I wish I had just been careless in installing them. I wish I had the money I spent on them. Bosch is the only plug I used in my Ghia. Of course it would smoke the tires into 3rd gear, and got about 13 miles to the gallon due to the rack of carbs I ran. I was truly bewildered when three different trucks, 2xf150's and a ranger cracked at least 2 plugs each. I still think they (Bosch) make a great plug. I just don't wanna replace them every week. Corvair you say, now that's a slick ride. When I had my Ghia on the dyno, the stall next to it had a sandrail with acura nsx block going into it. Good for digging twin trenches no doubt.

Last edited by Ahrimanes2; 08-27-2004 at 07:59 PM. Reason: addon
Old 08-29-2004, 03:03 PM
BroncoRoadKill
Posting Guru
Well, these things happen, but when I'm in dout, I usually put the factory style plugs in, and my 82 bronco runs motorcrafts nicely.

Quick Reply: Somebody explain the reason for 8 spark plugs in a 2.3L 4 cyl