2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator

Brakes to the floor/Traction Control

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2008, 10:21 PM
FordTruckGirl77
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brakes to the floor/Traction Control

Today I was out driving in my 07 Expy El when I noticed the traction control indicator flashing, I figured something was wrong. I came up to a turn touched the brake (all while the light is flashing) and had NO BRAKES the pedal went to the floor. First thought is to pump the brakes so I did and the traction light went off and I had brakes again. Road conditions were perfect and I was driving straight.

Has this happened to anyone?

Old 05-26-2008, 07:25 AM
kw5413
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Never heard of it. But, IMO, you need to take to the dealer to have it checked.

They will likely tell you "No Codes" so they can't fix anything. But....the incident will then be listed on you trucks OASIS report for future reference if needed.

Mine has the mushy brake syndrome. Even though I knew there wasn't a fix I listed it as a problem when I took it in for alignment. Now the brake issue is on record.

Old 05-26-2008, 07:59 AM
montecarlo31
Elder User
huh sounds like a bad vac booster. or the tube that provide vac to the booster has slipped off. Double check it's connected. To me it really sounds like a booster issue. (assumes there is no fluid leak).

Old 05-26-2008, 10:17 AM
FordTruckGirl77
Senior User
Originally Posted by montecarlo31
huh sounds like a bad vac booster. or the tube that provide vac to the booster has slipped off. Double check it's connected. To me it really sounds like a booster issue. (assumes there is no fluid leak).
I will have my husband check the vac today. I will also take it done to my dealer to "try" for code but ofcourse will get a big NPF!!!

I am hoping to find my used Excursion this week so I can finally get out of my EL. I love the ride but not the issues.

Old 05-27-2008, 03:51 AM
eallanboggs
Elder User
Your brake pedel should never go all the way to the floor regardless if you power assist or not. I would be looking for something more that just the power assist system. You need to check the master resevoir fluid level as well as every slave cylinder for signs of leakage. Something in your hydraulic system allowed the pedal to travel that far. Pumping the pedal just put fluid into the system where there was none and temporarily gave you back your pedal. I wouldn't drive that thing until it was up on jackstands for inspection on all 4 corners and at the master too.

Old 05-27-2008, 11:37 AM
FordTruckGirl77
Senior User
I am going to crawl under the truck today to see if I can see any leakage. Might have my husband take it to his work (he is a honda service manager) and have someone check the lines and see if maybe air is in there. Then maybe I will take it to ford. Sometimes an outside opinion is better. I just keep hoping I find that Excursion so I dont have to deal with this lemon anymore.

Old 05-27-2008, 11:47 AM
IQ9
Senior User
My wife and I had a similar experience BUT the pedal did not go to the floor. I was told "no codes so nothings wrong". We had this happen over a period of 3 days and no nothing at all. It is very strange.

Old 05-27-2008, 11:53 AM
FordTruckGirl77
Senior User
So you had the traction control light flash for no reason? Interesting, glad to hear I am not the only one. I am going to call my friend at Ford today and have him look into it. I'm sure it will come back as nothing!!!

Old 05-27-2008, 12:01 PM
IQ9
Senior User
WE we would hit the brakes and the ABS would go crazy and barely stop the vehicle. We would turn it off and strat the vehicle again and the issue would go away only to return minutes later. It was scary as we had to get home but how do you it when you have to use the brakes? It went away but for how long. I asked about the check ball issue in the abs actators and was tld my VIN does not match any affected vehicles.

Old 05-27-2008, 12:31 PM
FordTruckGirl77
Senior User
That sounds crazy!!! When stuff happens with brakes that scares the crap out of me, I would much rather have my trans act up than have no brakes! I hope you can get your problem fixed or at the very least hope it never comes back!

Old 05-27-2008, 04:44 PM
Baumbach
Junior User
Interesting, I have a 08 Limited with 23k miles and last week as I pulled out of my driveway and used the brakes for the first time just a few hundred feet away from home the ABS went crazy, I was coming up an a stop sign and only lightly applied pressure to slow down and it acted like I was on ice and the traction control light flashed and the brake pedal was pumping it’s self. . I let off the peddle, and reapplied the brakes and everything was back to normal. It has only done this that one time.

Old 05-27-2008, 05:02 PM
FordTruckGirl77
Senior User
Interesting, that sounds sort of like what I went through. Hmmmmm Does your pedal ever feel mushy?

Old 05-27-2008, 09:32 PM
eallanboggs
Elder User
Baumbach you have to realize the brake pedal does NOT pump itself. You may perceive it that way, but what you are actually feeling is the ABS system pulsating the hydraulic system. The ABS system is supposed to be designed as a FAILSAFE system. If there is a problem with the ABS it is supposed to revert back to non-ABS(at least that's the way it should work). If you brake pedal goes to the floor you can't depend on hope or faith or take your chances. Well, I guess you can, but you might not like the results. If my brake pedal goes to the floor it's time for a tow unless I'm very close to home. My E-brake works because I inspect it periodically just in case I need it.