V8 Flathead Overheating

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-1999, 02:12 PM
Tom White
V8 Flathead Overheating

I have restored a '48 F-1 and still have a lingering problem with engine overheating. I had the radiator recored a few years ago, however the truck doesn't get much running time. Can anyone tell me how long it takes for the radiator to go to rust when dormant. Any ideas on cooling would be appreciated.

Old 11-08-1999, 03:42 PM
Phillip Guidry
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
V8 Flathead Overheating

For the radiator, if you did recore,not just rod out,you can rule out the radiator if the problem has existed since then.For long term storage,if the mixture still tests good,that shouldn't be a problem either.You will want to the check basics before you tear in to it.What about the radiator cap? Have it checked for leakage and proper engagement on the neck.Look at the fan blade and make sure it is pulling air through the radiator,not pushing,which you may find a blade mounted upside down(boy,wouldn't that be easy).Next you'll want to check the thermostat(s) in a pot of water as you bring it to a boil and noticeing the thermometer readings when the t-stat begins to open & no longer opens further(if it ever gets there).Next,verify the gauge reading(if any) and location.A mechanical gauge pellet that is inserted in a position that will allow near contact with engine metal will show higher than coolant temps.Now the water pumps, i don't think you can mix the left & right pumps,but what if one of the impellers is rotted away?post more info as you have it.
Phillip

Old 08-26-2001, 09:06 AM
Wired
New User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
V8 Flathead Overheating

Old 08-26-2001, 09:12 AM
Wired
New User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
V8 Flathead Overheating

Replace the thermostats rebuild the water pumps and flush the block with the pumps off ( the original casting sand may still be in the block as they really had no way to get it all out ( heard of a block being dripped in a tank for cleaning and they got a quart of sand out )) good luck and I see that it has been a while since this post so I hope that you already solved the problem

Old 11-15-2001, 09:42 PM
Speed demond
New User
V8 Flathead Overheating

I had a 50 that over heated do I put on a 6 bladed flex fan. I also pulled the heads and found foundry wires inside the water passages in the block. They are used to hold the cores together when the iron is poured. It never did run cool, always at 3/4 on the gage.If you put on a shroud it will really help.)

Old 11-17-2001, 09:00 PM
bigchark
New User
V8 Flathead Overheating

I don't know anything about the flathead V8, but I do have a 49 COE with a flathead. If anyone is in need let me know. The truck running gear is complete, motor runs and tranny and 2-speed rear axel work. I bought it just for the cab. I am in southwestern Missouri. 67stang@centurytel.net

Old 11-27-2001, 10:38 AM
saxtonj
Mountain Pass
V8 Flathead Overheating

This may sound crazy... but I discussed overheating with a flathead guru of over 50 years experience. He said lots of "flatheaders" have sawed off every other tooth on the water pump impellers. He claims if the pumps are really effective, they will pump the water through the radiator faster than it has time to be cooled in the radiator. He claims that every time that has been done it works.

Old 12-04-2001, 01:31 AM
mtflat
Lead Driver

Received 331 Likes on 255 Posts
V8 Flathead Overheating

I've heard about guys removing waterpump vanes also, but only on the early V8's that are open systems without thermostats or other restrictors. On 48 and up truck motors it shouldn't be necessary - that's what thermostats do.
I had an overheating problem that developed recently. I couldn't keep coolant in the system. Pulling the thermostats allowed me to get home, but I kept having to add coolant. I pulled the heads and found a cracked block on cylinder #6 into the intake valve. A compression check showed that cylinder to have zero to 10 psi.
I'd check compression first to see if something major is going on inside the engine.
Then check timing, fuel settings, etc.
These trucks were built with oversize radiators and should be more than adequate for the type of driving you're doing. Keep looking for something else that's causing you to overheat. Think about the symptoms you have and a pattern will develop. There has to be a reason. Good luck. Tim

Old 01-22-2002, 11:10 PM
jml
Senior User
V8 Flathead Overheating

I have a 48 flathead 6 that overheated. Not too sure on the 8 flathead but the exhaust manifold has a butterfly that opens and closes. It was designed to stay close while the engine was warming up (Detroit winters) and then open once the engine warmed. My butterfly was stuck / broken etc. I just had to do away with it and my overheating problems went away. I also did all the usual things but to no avail until I looked into this. Check out my 48 site
http://www.48f-1.com
jim

Old 07-19-2002, 08:12 AM
big foot
New User
V8 Flathead Overheating

>I have a 48 flathead 6 that overheated. Not too sure on the
>8 flathead but the exhaust manifold has a butterfly that
>opens and closes. It was designed to stay close while the
>engine was warming up (Detroit winters) and then open once
>the engine warmed. My butterfly was stuck / broken etc. I