Nevada Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:67 Olfthfl

Any Members In Pahrump???

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 12:45 AM
kermmydog
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile Any Members In Pahrump???

As I have shared on here we are moving back to Nevada. We will be in Pahrump for at least the summer. If my wife gets hired as a teacher there we will stay. If not we will be headed back to Northern Nevada were we are from.
So I was wondering if there was any member in Pahrump?
If any of you are willing to share phone numbers I would like to get to know some of you from the Las Vegas area. If anyone is interested in getting together in June PM with a number & I'll send you my number. Maybe we can have lunch.
Craig

Old 05-12-2008, 10:12 AM
kermmydog
Post Fiend
I take it from no responses, NOBODY FROM PAHRUMP & NO TAKERS on getting together. OK Thanks.

Craig

Old 05-12-2008, 10:29 AM
racerchick21
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm only in Parumph once a year for the Vegas to Reno race, don't know if I'm going this year yet. I don't think many people are paying attention to the forum right now, I know I'm busier now that the warm weather is here.

Old 05-12-2008, 10:27 PM
kermmydog
Post Fiend
Smile

Originally Posted by racerchick21
I'm only in Parumph once a year for the Vegas to Reno race, don't know if I'm going this year yet. I don't think many people are paying attention to the forum right now, I know I'm busier now that the warm weather is here.
Yea, it appears that way. We maybe moving back up to Northern Nevada before it is all over. My wife is sending out application packets to many of the school districts. Dayton contacted her today about a Special Ed position. Although Dayton isn't on the top of our list. Yerington maybe Fallon is as far west in Northern Nevada as we want to be. Northern Nye Co, Lander, Eureka, White Pine Counties are our preferred areas. If not one of those then Pahrump or Lincoln Co. We will see though. We still want to hook up with you & your husband for lunch this summer.

Craig

Old 05-13-2008, 11:01 AM
racerchick21
Posting Guru
Cool, let us know when you're near! We'll be out in Yerington this weekend to mark the race course for the Memorial weekend race there. If Fallon ever booms like Fernley or Dayton, Yerington is my next choice. We have some good friends that were born and raised in Dayton, that are considering moving to Fallon because they can't stand what it's turned into.

Old 05-13-2008, 01:32 PM
kermmydog
Post Fiend
Yea, I understand that. Even Fallon is not that good, but better than Fernley or Dayton. The problem with Yerington is it is nice small town but to shop or doctors you have to get right in the middle of all that traffic in Minden, Carson etc. or head to Fernley or Fallon at $4/gal for gas not too good. I heard that Terrible's 250 was moved out of Pahrump this year to Stateline at Jean Nevada. When does the Vegas to Reno run start?
We are moving the week after Memorial weekend into Pahrump for at least a month or so. Personally, I would much rather live in Pahrump than any of the western part of northern Nevada. At least you can escape people real easy. Once you get out of Pahrump it is pretty wide open. We are still planing on being in Battle Mountain the 4th of July. I have a close friend in Winnemucca I want to see this year. In fact he has offered us his house to stay at while we are up north. He works for the Railroad.

Craig

Old 05-13-2008, 05:08 PM
racerchick21
Posting Guru
Vegas to Reno is August 22/23, 650 miles takes a long time for some! We pitted for a friend last year, don't know if he's racing this year. The actual start of the race is a few miles south of 95 parallel to 160. It really ends in Dayton, not Reno. Can't get close anymore I guess.
Fallon to me is like my home town was before it became a suburb of LA, mostly agriculture and a miltary base. My parents moved there from the valley before it was even a city, now the population is 100,000+. Six golf courses and counting, my mom still lives there. IMHO Parumph is somewhat becoming the same, a suburb of Vegas on the southern end anyway. There is still plenty of open space in the other direction though, same with Fallon. We go out to Middlegate quite a bit. I still have friends whose directions to their homes start with 'turn off the paved road...'

Old 05-13-2008, 07:46 PM
nubeee1
Postmaster
Hey Craig..!!
The wife and I will be at Terrible's Lake side RV on Labor Day,( in Pahrump) Hope that's not to late for you.! Maybe if your ever in Vegas we can hook up for lunch.!!!!

Old 05-13-2008, 11:04 PM
kermmydog
Post Fiend
Smile

Originally Posted by racerchick21
Vegas to Reno is August 22/23, 650 miles takes a long time for some! We pitted for a friend last year, don't know if he's racing this year. The actual start of the race is a few miles south of 95 parallel to 160. It really ends in Dayton, not Reno. Can't get close anymore I guess.
Fallon to me is like my home town was before it became a suburb of LA, mostly agriculture and a miltary base. My parents moved there from the valley before it was even a city, now the population is 100,000+. Six golf courses and counting, my mom still lives there. IMHO Parumph is somewhat becoming the same, a suburb of Vegas on the southern end anyway. There is still plenty of open space in the other direction though, same with Fallon. We go out to Middlegate quite a bit. I still have friends whose directions to their homes start with 'turn off the paved road...'
My wife is sending an employment packet to the Churchill Co School District. I agree Fallon has a couple of ways out & away from people. I know the back country in that part of the State like the back of my hand. For that matter the whole northern western part. I spent most of my 60 years wandering it. There use to be a back way out of Dayton to Yerington not to sure if all the development in that area closed it. It has been years since traveling it. I don't mean through Fort Churchill road either. I use to lion hunt all though Dixie Valley. I have been over, around, & through the mountain ranges that surround it. I was taught that country by an old-timer who's daughter still lives in Dixie Valley. He showed us every water hole in a two hundred square mile radius of that Valley. Before the Navy.
I know nothing of Southern California other than I have been there 3 times in my life. I couldn't breath or see the times I was there. 2 of the times were in the 70s once in the 90s.
If we are in Pahrump in Aug I would like to see the start of that race. My wife & I worked with Becker's crew one year at the Terrible 250. He was at that time one of the top 5 Pro Truck drivers. He & Troy Herbst were always in a battle for top honors. Beckers pit crew were a bunch of great guys, they all worked for the movie studios in Hollywood. They were all union Electricians, Plumbers, Carpenters that worked on the sets. We had a great time in the pits with them. That year Becker was leading the Pro Trucks with Troy breathing down his back when he broke a tranny about 10 miles from the finish.

Craig

Old 05-14-2008, 08:18 AM
racerchick21
Posting Guru
Good, can you tell me exactly where the nuclear bomb crater is lol? We've been trying to find it, I think we've been close several times, always seem to take the wrong turn somehow. My husband knows the back country out here pretty well, he's been riding and racing out here for over 20 years. If you put me in the desert in SoCal, I know my way around out there, but I'm still learning out here. When I was younger my hometown was mostly citrus orchards, dairys and strawberry fields, now it's paved from one end of the valley to the ocean. I don't really like to go back, it's sad to me. You're not missing much IMO.

The start of that race is something to see! It goes on for a long while since there's so many entries and classes. I don't think Terrible's is doing any racing this year due to their recent bankruptcy. I heard the word from the old man was no racing at all. They may still put them on but not race themselves, just have to wait and see I guess. If you're up this way either Memorial Day or Labor day we have the Yerington 300 both weekends. Tech, registration & a parade in town on Saturday and race on Sunday.

Old 05-15-2008, 12:10 AM
davethecow
Elder User
The crater is at goat flat.go down toward rawhide about 3 miles and the road is on the right.ther should be a fence unless someone stole it again.

Old 05-15-2008, 01:32 AM
kermmydog
Post Fiend
That a nuclear bomb was set off in Fallon was kept real quiet for years. Also that the air station dumped thousands of gallons of jet fuel off the end of the runway in the 50s & 60s isn't well known either. There is an underground river about 5 times the size of the Truckee that flows under Fallon about a 1000 ft deep. The city of Fallon's wells are drilled into that. The surface water is heavily polluted. I wasn't surprised by the Cancer cluster in Fallon, I know several others that weren't surprised either. Fallon has a very dark past that is not ever talked about. Walker Lake is another. We were never as kids ever allowed to eat fish from there. My old man had a top secret clearance he didn't even want us swimming in it. Most of the old-timers use to fish in Weber & the river. Not Walker Lake.

Old 05-15-2008, 08:43 AM
racerchick21
Posting Guru
Yes, they still have the underwater training depot there in Hawthore. I knew about the jet fuel, when the concern first occured they were looking for leaking pipelines, but the dumping had long since stopped. I always thought the cancer cluster had something to do with the fact that the kids swim in the canals in summer, with all the runoff from the fields and stuff, but who knows exactly? 1000ft? My well's only 54' and the water's fine, I think 'cause we're so close to the river.

Dave, thanks for the directions, we always seem to miss it somehow.
IDK if this is the one that was set off here or in Vegas, spooky though!

Sorry to get so far !

Old 05-16-2008, 08:17 PM
kermmydog
Post Fiend
Neat picture, when all that cancer thing started they showed a well map of the City of Fallon than the surface wells & all the cancer cluster was in areas with wells up to 150 ft. They were I guess concerned about all the chemicals from both ranching & the Navy that had been dumped over the years. Then everything kind of just changed directions over night. Who knows, Just like when we were kids in Hawthorne the lake would turn over twice a year and stink. You would see green algae floating all over. Well, that green algae turned into brown oily sludge by the 90s. The EPA claimed it was just algae, yea right. Anyway, my wife has an interview in Lovelock at the end of the month. We are hoping that a job comes from that. We both like Lovelock, & my wife has worked in their school district as a sub in 2005.

Old 05-19-2008, 08:50 AM
racerchick21
Posting Guru
Lahontan does that as well, still green and yucky! Lovelock is nice, they're putting a circle track in there. We used to have an off-road race there every year, but the local authorities and businesses weren't very cooperative.

Quick Reply: Any Members In Pahrump???