Computer Chips & Tuners  

Custom tune ecu on V10

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 02:26 PM
Under Pressure
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Custom tune ecu on V10

I recently bought a 99 F250 with a V10 and would like to do some custom tuning with the ecu. What options do I have for this ecu? Is the ecu reprogramable or can I burn eprom chips for it? I have tuned older GM's and Honda ecu's but Ford is new to me. Is there a free ware version of a rom editor and datalogger for these ecu's like for GM and Honda or will I need to buy a program? I want to be able to adjust timing and fuel control, correct speedo, trans shift, etc. Any help getting started would be helpful. Thanks J

Old 05-20-2008, 07:58 PM
ReAX
Post Fiend
You can do both, but Ford hard chips just suck compared to reflashing. There are programs like EECeditor, tweecer and such, but your going to have a difficult time finding binaries for your ECM.

Honestly the easiest thing to do would be buy Sniper's Special Forces or Commando Suites with Recon data logging and their downloader. Or you could spend a ton of money on SCT.

Old 05-21-2008, 03:11 PM
Under Pressure
Freshman User
Ford Adapters : Moates.Net

This is a link to a couple of items I found and was wandering if they would work for my application. It appears to me that I could use the F2A and F2E to read the factory binaries with my Burn1. Then I should be able to save them and edit them with TunerPro or EEC editor and the F3 module. Does this sound right?

Old 05-21-2008, 05:24 PM
ReAX
Post Fiend
You don't need those, I believe they are for EEC-IV and not the current EEC-V (OBD2 compliant.) I played with it a little, and I couldn't find binaries to decipher the OEM binaries. I am probably not the best help for this, but I'll do all I can.

What you need hardware wise is an interface. I think you can do ECM and GEM with a J2534 interface tool, but I was looking into that for non-performance tuning so I can't say for sure.

Old 05-21-2008, 10:00 PM
Under Pressure
Freshman User
The F3 says it is for EEC-V and supports 1, 2, 4 bank systems. What is ECM and GEM? I too am not really performance tuning, more less for fuel economy.

Old 05-22-2008, 04:49 PM
ReAX
Post Fiend
Engine control Module and General Electronics Module. The GEM is basically the body computer and the ECM handles the engine/transmission. I believe the difference in the systems your looking at is the piggy back chips were the technology before flashing the eeprom became prevalent. If it all possible you want to reflash the prom instead of fooling the computer using the test port.

EEC-V should all have an EEPROM and be flash-able.

Old 05-30-2008, 05:07 PM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Go with an SCT Xcal2 and get a dealer to write up a custom tune. The XCal2 can also adjust the parameters you listed above, except the speedo. There are several good tuners here that are FTE sponsors. You will probably have to pull the ECM to get the code off the label. For custom tunes the code is need to identify the ECM. I can reflash my truck with a new tune in about 2 minutes and that includes unplugging the fuel pump fuse.

Don't expect to gain mpgs with a tuner on the V10. I've installed headers, intake, high flow cat, full exhaust and custom tuning and havn't seen ANY increase in mpg.

Old 05-30-2008, 10:20 PM
Under Pressure
Freshman User
My goal is to achieve maximum fuel economy with a hydrogen/oxygen gas generator. I am in the process of constructing one now. I plan to tune the vehicle using EGT. In the parameters it is mainly driven and at idle, I would lean it out some (as much as the egt allows) to help compensate for the added hydroxy. I think this would be most accurate as opposed to using a wide band and a fixed a/f ratio since extra oxygen is being added to the engine. I also would slightly retard the timing as the hydrogen gas burns much faster than gasoline. The truck is lifted with 35" tires on it so I want to correct the speedo. Right now I am getting around 11.6 mpg and would like to experiment with this stuff and see if I can improve on it some.

Old 05-31-2008, 10:06 PM
ReAX
Post Fiend
Negative, you need to consult the A/F ratio. All fuels have a stoichiometric value where they work the best. Because your mixing fuels and adding more oxygen, you will need to come up with the correct stoich, exhaust A/F should be easier than doing the math. It's not going to be the end all to the fuel plots, but will help in keeping your engine alive.

Old 06-02-2008, 12:15 PM
dkf
Hotshot
Don't waste your time with the hydrogen generator crap, its a farse. You will have to get a trulift accuspeed unit to correct your speedo.

You got the wrong vehicle, tires and etc for good mpg, thats the cold hard truth and any tuner isn't going to change it.

Old 06-02-2008, 06:41 PM
kaboom10
Elder User
You will need a LiveWire tuner at least and a Pro Racer Package if you want to get that deep into the ECM parameters and you will have to use Live Link to monitor what data you have. I'm just using gasoline and am finding improvements in mileage even with the gear change.

Last edited by kaboom10; 06-02-2008 at 06:43 PM. Reason: added text
Old 06-02-2008, 07:08 PM
dkf
Hotshot
You don't need the livewire tuner. All the tuner does is reflash the computer. The software from SCT is whats used to make the tune, however certain parameters can be tweaked with the handheld tuner, but not enough.