1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

A word of caution when E-baying...

Old 05-19-2008, 08:43 AM
Robbgt
Logistics Pro
Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts
A word of caution when E-baying...

Hey guys.
As most of you know, ebay can be a great place to get stuff at a reasonable price that you may not have found elsewhere. In the past month, I have won, and paid for five items that the sellers account was either put under review or the item removed. These items range from an iPod to the factory repair manual Cuda_Jim and myself were trying to get a hold of. All from sellers with near perfect feedback and 100+ sales.

So just be careful. Even if it looks like a good seller use caution. Make sure you use paypal or something like it (not sure what else is offered...) That way when stuff like this happens you can open a dispute and get your money back. Just looking out guys...

-Robb

Old 05-19-2008, 09:11 AM
superduty4x4
Hotshot
Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts
Good advice Rob! No matter what the feedback rating is, you should always read comments people left too- a lot of times you can see patterns (took a long time to ship, no returned emails, etc). Ebay seems to be going to pot lately, everyone is trying to get rich off shipping fees it seems like.

Old 05-19-2008, 10:30 AM
Vinford
Cargo Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by superduty4x4
Good advice Rob! No matter what the feedback rating is, you should always read comments people left too- a lot of times you can see patterns (took a long time to ship, no returned emails, etc). Ebay seems to be going to pot lately, everyone is trying to get rich off shipping fees it seems like.
I used to sell on Ebay a bit.
I dont think people are trying to get rich on shipping fees, most people are getting discouraged selling /giving away items.
Buyers are all looking for next to free stuff.
Shipping is so high I almost sell nothing anymore because the post office is the only one making money.
Id sell a small item for 10 bucks that cost $20 to ship.
Its a pretty hard racket to make any money and the way its going it wont be there much longer.
Buyers should look at the prices they are buying stuff for because soon there wont be anywhere to get such deals.
I still buy stuff and even with high shipping Im paying at least 50% less than local stores.

Old 05-19-2008, 10:51 AM
Cuda_jim
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Robb, I contacted the seller and told him to send it anyway.
These manuals disappear all the time on eBay when someone, anyone says they are selling copyright protected material.
eBay doesn't investigate, they just toss the auction. The same DVD's are back on there right now by the same seller....until someone complains again.

BTW: Use a credit card when paying, even if you use PayPal.
They have a lot of clout when it come to getting your money back in the event of fraud.

Old 05-19-2008, 11:02 AM
superduty4x4
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Vinford
I used to sell on Ebay a bit.
I dont think people are trying to get rich on shipping fees, most people are getting discouraged selling /giving away items.
Buyers are all looking for next to free stuff.
Shipping is so high I almost sell nothing anymore because the post office is the only one making money.
Id sell a small item for 10 bucks that cost $20 to ship.
Its a pretty hard racket to make any money and the way its going it wont be there much longer.
Buyers should look at the prices they are buying stuff for because soon there wont be anywhere to get such deals.
I still buy stuff and even with high shipping Im paying at least 50% less than local stores.
I bought some glow plugs and negotiated down to a shipping of $25 instead of over $40 the seller wanted to charge me. Actual cost to ship- $5. Yes I know there needs to be room for handling (gas to get to post office) but give me a break.

Old 05-19-2008, 11:13 AM
kawa
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cuda,
What is the E-bay number that he re-listed the CD's under? I'm having difficulty in locating him.

Rog

Old 05-19-2008, 11:13 AM
Cuda_jim
Post Fiend
I don't understand how anyone could complain about shipping charges when the S&H is listed in the auction when the item was purchased.

Chase, good for you....negotiate the shipping before buying, that's the way it's supposed to happen IMO.

Old 05-19-2008, 11:15 AM
Cuda_jim
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by kawa
Cuda,
What is the E-bay number that he re-listed the CD's under? I'm having difficulty in locating him.

Rog
Item # 280228450791
Sellers name is subaruparts
Here:
eBay Motors: Ford Linclon Mercury Service & Repair Manual 1996-2008 (item 280228450791 end time May-26-08 02:43:51 PDT)

Old 05-19-2008, 12:12 PM
kawa
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Cuda_jim
Thanks Jim, I no sooner asked the question when I found it. I too have re-ordered. I don't recall having to take out $1.00 insurance for a $1.00 item but what the hell.

Thanks for your reply,
Rog

Old 05-19-2008, 12:32 PM
Butch(OH)
Tuned
I have been real lucky, or blessed in my Ebay dealings. About 30 buys and 3 sells and no problems of any kind. Caution is always warrented.

Shipping,

I have never been able to figure out the hulabalu about shipping prices. As long as they are stated they are easily calculated into the price, wanna spend $100 for an item? If ship is $50 you only bid $50 and you spent $100 or less, what's the big deal

I sold some items once on another venue and some guy cyber mails me and rips me for my shipping charges. I said UPS is X, box is X have to make trip to town to get box to UPS agent, add it all up and I lose money on ship. Guess he figured I oughta have boxes laying about and stacks of paper to throw in them ( I dont have either) and my wife oughta run into town for free just for him.

Off my box and back to my passion ,, OBS PS diesel pick'em ups.

Old 05-19-2008, 12:49 PM
Cuda_jim
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Butch(OH)

I sold some items once on another venue and some guy cyber mails me and rips me for my shipping charges. I said UPS is X, box is X have to make trip to town to get box to UPS agent, add it all up and I lose money on ship. Guess he figured I oughta have boxes laying about and stacks of paper to throw in them ( I dont have either) and my wife oughta run into town for free just for him.

Off my box and back to my passion ,, OBS PS diesel pick'em ups.
Good comment on the S&H. I had the same thing happen when buyer insisted on UPS vs Post office.
I Told him nearest UPS is 44 miles round trip....or $xx.xx for them to pick it up....he thought I was ripping him off. Sent it Postal anyway...charged him less than I paid and got a negative feedback for my efforts.
Ebay is a great venue, all it takes is a couple idiots to screw things up. 99.99% of people are honest and trustworthy.

Old 05-19-2008, 01:44 PM
superduty4x4
Hotshot
My gripe on the S&H is when someone tries to charge $30 to ship something that won't cost over $10-15 to ship. When I bought those GP's the seller listed shipping at $6 or something, so I figured that was the shipping cost- however, since I bought 8 the shipping went through the roof. At least the seller worked with me, though I still thought the shipping charge was excessive. If I don't want to pay X amount to ship an item, I don't bid... period. Someone whined at my wife for charging $7 for shipping after they received the item and saw it only cost $5 to ship. That to me is flat rediculous- as was mentioned above in this post- you bid on it, which means you agreed to the shipping price. Wifey ended up caving on that and refunding $1 to avoid negative feedback... I hope the person realized what a waste of time it was to get their $1 back, which was less by the time PayPal took their fee out.
Okay rant off, sorry guys.

Old 05-19-2008, 02:49 PM
Cuda_jim
Post Fiend
Chase, At least eBay has been listening to the sellers that get unjustified feedback.
There is a process in place now that makes the buyer provide a "good" cause for the neg's, if not it's removed.
Before, when it was posted....it stayed posted, no matter what. I have a few of those. My rant's done too. Sorry for going

Old 05-19-2008, 03:34 PM
superduty4x4
Hotshot
There is a process in place now that makes the buyer provide a "good" cause for the neg's, if not it's removed.
Before, when it was posted....it stayed posted, no matter what. I have a few of those. My rant's done too. Sorry for going
Good to know! And sorry for the Robb

Old 05-19-2008, 07:01 PM
Robbgt
Logistics Pro
Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts
Robb, I contacted the seller and told him to send it anyway.
Just sent him an E-mail. I opened a paypal dispute as well just to cover myself... after a bit of time you can't get your money back. I'm not going to cry over 8 bucks... Only good for a gallon of diesel anyways

Originally Posted by superduty4x4
Good to know! And sorry for the Robb
Not a problem! Haven't checked in all day. Studying for one more final, packing the truck and headed home! Probably won't be back online for a day or so. Later Guys!!

-Robb

Search this Thread