Modular V10 (6.8l)  

V-10's and towing

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2008, 12:46 PM
10strokin
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

if you go back through all the posts this guy has, u will realize that his disdain for fords in general are directly correlated to the shortcomings in his trousers. let me ask you, if you race a chebby, why are u pulling it with a ford? why? do yourself a favor and stick to the durajap stuff. it will make you much happier in the long run. bring your 427 chebby to moroso motorsports park here in bradenton, and i will walk it with my 10 second 4 CYLINDER tbird turbocoupe. it'll be the highlight of your long, heavy towing trip, I PROMISE!

Old 05-30-2008, 02:46 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 297 Likes on 156 Posts
Originally Posted by IHI
Talk to the guys with the V10 powered Class C RV's that pull their race trailers to the tracks around the midwest..
So are we talking moderately loaded F-series pickups pulling a 10K-12K trailer, or a huge Class C RV that is then asked to ALSO pull the race trailer? What the GCWR of a rig like that total out to?

I'm confused.

You say in one sentence no one here works their trucks, which are all 3/4 or 1-ton, and then you say a Class C with a trailer loaded with tools and a race car is a slug?

Is anyone else confused?

That's basically the definition of trolling, you know.

Old 05-30-2008, 03:48 PM
10strokin
Senior User
Smile

i agree. geez, a class c motorhome with everyones amenities has to be over 17-18000 lbs by itself. and then another 11,000 lb trailer on top of that? show me any setup that wont grunt a little with that load.

Old 05-30-2008, 04:47 PM
tjthegreat
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ok guys i have a 92 f150 I6 4x4 can anyone tell me how much a ring and pinion set would be for both axle

Old 05-30-2008, 05:15 PM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by 10strokin
i agree. geez, a class c motorhome with everyones amenities has to be over 17-18000 lbs by itself. and then another 11,000 lb trailer on top of that? show me any setup that wont grunt a little with that load.
Is a class C motorhome even rated to tow 11k. Thought I heard the max was like 5k lbs.

Old 05-30-2008, 05:18 PM
IHI
Senior User
RVpullr- i will never buy a new speced truck for work, too many guys in and out of it, and you all know how employee's treat company equipment, not to mention the environment...it'd be stupid to put a $50K truck in the hands of idiots that will do nothing but beat the snot out of it every chance they get, door dig, throwing stuff into the box and having it fall short and hit box sides, etc....Anything will work better optimized, i've never owned an optimized V10, nor has any other contractor i talk to and nobody at job sites, camp sites, race tracks has every been half as enthusiastic about the V10 as these show and shiners on this V10 section....i guess everybody in IA got the blunt of lemon/miscombinated F250/350 dealerships had to offer, no matter what skin the V10 is in.

Bagger-Dont think for one second i did not check into having gears thrown in this thing after the first trailer tow with it, i was sick since it was gutless. The price i gave is what i was quoted. Could i try to pull some strings and save a buck, sure, but with my work trucks i just let the shop i take it to do all the maintanence so if there's ever a problem, i only have one guy to go back to. Go back and add up all the stuff in the post your trying to quote me on einstein. Supposedly to make these V10 work i need gears...again i was quoted $1800. I talked to a local racer with deep pockets who told me about a shop in canada that reprograms the ECU's for these trucks-$700...so that's $2500. Then supposedly i need headers, cat back or lose it, different muffler, etc....add all that crap up and your at $3K

REAL trucks do have diesels, sane people know this, but what thread are your reading that i'm comparing anything to an OTR truck???? thanks for the usefull post. and the fricken mod call me a troll...

10strokn- your my hero, you have a pwr adder on a light weight car. Now show me all the honda 4 bangers making 6-700hp with pwr adders like a give a crap, so i admit, your cooler than i am, you have a faster car....how much momney does your car bring in on race day...enlighten me on how consistant that car is BRACKET racing...or do you street race it for money, now your really my hero. Once again, nice post and thanks for adding useful info...and again, the mod calls me a troll.....anybody notice a tight nit buddy system going here LOL!!

Oh, almost forgot smart guy, i run a pontiac body, chevy small block, ford rear end, mopar brake set up. ALL of my WORK trucks are FORD, so before you spout you lip and sound like you sound, get your ducks in a row...I ran chevy trucks all my life growing up, they're not DURABLE enough...power wise they've never disappointed, same with mpg in any configuration when compared to anything Ford offers, but Ford have been the only make that can handle day to day abuse of construction...i'm not biased to any make, i just have to buy what gets me the most bang for my dollar so i have more blow money instead of shop bills.

Krewat/Moderator: This is a V10 forum, i speak of V10 engines no matter what the chasis configuration. Do duracrap guys cry/complain wheather that engine is in a pick up or a 1.5-2T chasis..nope. I'm just stating even when they put this engine in trucks built to haul stuff, it lacks when the going gets tough. Did ya ever hear much crying about 460's not having enough grunt, nope.

And here, lemme do your job for ya Mr. Mod and get back to the ORIGINAL which is what got me telling my side of the situation and my true life experiences:
Originally Posted by Tundy

Looking to upgrade to either the V-10 or PSD. Needless to say, the diesel prices have me a bit worried.

Here is my dilema, I want to tow a 39 foot 5th wheel toyhauler. The wet weight should come in right around 15-16k. I have a 31 ft class C with the V-10 and I'm very happy with it.

Will the V-10 do a good job at pulling the 5'er or should I go with the PSD?
* I plan on using the truck to pull on level gound, no hills to speak of.

It would be very easy to buy the PSD - since all of the dealers are stocked full of them. I can't even find a V-10 to test drive..
Now anybody that has ever towed ANYTHING at this weight level nows a V10, and i dont give a crap what gears, what program, what exhaust, whatever is not going to be the ideal choice...this is a big, long heavy load PERIOD. If any of you guys seriously believe the V10 even with your 4:30 gears is upto the task, your delerious!!!!!!!!

Call me troll, call me whatcha want, just dont forget to armorall the tires on your show and shiners while i go back to work hauling/towing daily.

Old 05-30-2008, 05:20 PM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Bagger
IHI, what am I missing. Ring and pinion and set up kit front and back would be what $600-$700. You build race cars and you cannot do gears or know someone that can do it reasonable. Around here $500 would get them changed out so $1300 at most NOT $3000.
Thats what I thought.

Old 05-30-2008, 05:55 PM
10strokin
Senior User
Talking

REAL TRUCKS DO HAVE DIESELS? wow. dodge put a perkins diesel in a few trucks back in the 70's, but diesels didnt even make it into pickups until the early 80's. what in your esteemed mind do u think towed stuff around for the 60 years before that? the good old gas engine. if your eyes AND MIND were open, you would see that 99% of all us guys on here tow from around 7000 lbs up to 15,000 which is what they are rated to pull. gee, my owners manual and the ford factory manual rates the V10 with 430 gears to pull EXACTLY what the diesel will pull. for my 2001 model year anyway. my 6 speed handshaker will pull hard in whatever gear you want it to. everyone has their own opinion, thats a given, but dont ever fool yourself into thinking that all REAL trucks have diesels. oh yeah, my tbird turbo with 18 lbs of boost runs pretty consistent 10.90's all day with a 10" slick. i pride myself on the fact that i DONT RUN AN IMPORT TRASHBOX. its american, and i like that. my grandmother can build a sbc, no creativity there, everyone does it cuz its cheap. and she has been in the ground for 10 years! i think the real reason america is run into the ground is because we have sold out totally to the imports, and there is zero creativity and free thinking anymore. thats why i built SOMETHING DIFFERENT. anyways, i dont think you will be here much longer for bashing the moderator like that, so have a nice weekend and dont think too much about us V10 guys. we do just fine. we'll pick you up on the side of the road when your broke. no grudges.

Old 05-30-2008, 06:44 PM
10strokin
Senior User
Smile

oh yeah, i want to apologize to tundy for getting WAY OFF TOPIC! sorry dude. i truly hope you can sort through the GOOD information here and make an honest decision.

Old 05-30-2008, 07:33 PM
Gary_56
New User
Talking

IHI; Read my post-I pull 11.5k 5er with the V-10, true I chose to have the Banks system and K&N FIPK put on, I pull with 3:73 gears and it is a 2001 F-250 sd 4x4 extended cab. I'm quit happy, had a Master Mech tell me my mpg empty (16) is really good for the engine and truck set-up.
If you don't like your set-up sell it and move on.
Tweaking a vehicle is an owners option, you sure seem to tweak your racer, why not your puller???
My truck was bought new ,I bought the truck to use and not sit in a garage-so it is scratched and the bed is dented from throwing thing in it, I still enjoy waxing it and having it look as good as I can-it's called pride in ownership- with only 18 miles on the odo, I'm the one that has put over 90k on it and never thought I'd own a Ford but now I'm sold. I also enjoy when people ask to look at the engine.
The reason I didn't go with a deisel was that for the engine I wanted would have cost me another 10k (it would have had to have been a CAT [I love the sound]) after driving OTR for 10 years.
Your 'ragging' is getting rather boring.

Old 05-30-2008, 08:35 PM
Heavy_Metal
Elder User
Originally Posted by IHI
Anything will work better optimized, i've never owned an optimized V10, nor has any other contractor i talk to and nobody at job sites, camp sites, race tracks has every been half as enthusiastic about the V10 as these show and shiners on this V10 section....
Show and shiners.... Basically everyone here from my knowledge (from reading miles of post text)USES thier truck for what it was intended for. Some type of work. Whether it be hauling heavy loads of steel, towing a big fiver to just pulling around the family boat, it still gets the job done with no problems at a low expense compared to the diesels now. A few years ago the tables were turned but not these days. The high cost of the diesel option and extra gouging of the diesel fuel market has made the V10 a more viable choice in my eyes and quite a few others across the lower 48 as a V-10 truck on F-dealer is pretty hard to come by. It just all depends on your towing habits. Towing with a gasser is very much different than a oil burner (I'm sure you know) but all in all they are pretty equal engines providing you adjust your driving to the engine.

In the end its just a matter of preference, if you like to spend more initially and pay more at the pump but feel you have the power to tow (also wait for turbos to cool during shut down, pay more for servicing) get the diesel.

If you want reliability at a lower cost, get a V10.

Originally Posted by IHI
i was sick since it was gutless.
One might think that coming from a diesel to a gasser, V10s like to rev unlike diesels. You have to teach yourself that it's ok for it to hang out at 4500+rpm while towing. Some may see this as a drawback but from a equality standpoint, it doesn't really matter. At the fuel station the diesel may only get 1 to 2 mpg better while towing an equal load vs. the gasser but in the end the prices will show the difference. The difference towing is marginal save for the fact of RPM being higher in the V10. Fuel economy is affected but in almost the same rate as any PSD. You see it at the pump. I know I can afford to listen to an engine at 4000rpm vs. paying $175 at the pump just to have the truck do the same thing. And with Fords track record with diesels lately, I'd be hard pressed to look at one until they figure it out or contract to CAT or other diesel engine manufacturers. I admit the 7.3 was a good engine, but since then, it been pretty bad from what I hear from friends owing 6.4s and 6.0s and reading here.

Originally Posted by IHI
I talked to a local racer with deep pockets who told me about a shop in canada that reprograms the ECU's for these trucks-$700...so that's $2500. Then supposedly i need headers, cat back or lose it, different muffler, etc....add all that crap up and your at $3K
Your deep pocketed friend is a bit off with his quotes, you can very well get a tuner for the truck for anywhere from $200-$400, Your quote from the drivetrain shop is outrageous as I had mine done at Desert Rat off road with thier huge labor rate and paid a total of $1200. My truck actually did well before the gear swap with the factory 3.73 gear. I changed for less trans stress (to preserve trans life. Also an issue with diesel trucks) I have headers, Ebay $159 cheapies, work just as good as any other. Flowmaster cat-back is $300 and a high flow cat is $130 from summit. I tally $2189. All in all I really didn't need to do this stuff. My truck did fine with the stock equipment. Everyone wants more power in any vehicle, diesel and gas alike. I regularly passed 6.0Ls and duramax trucks in the White Mountains of AZ towing uphill with my 12,000lb TT behind. Now I just pass them faster.

Originally Posted by IHI
REAL trucks do have diesels, sane people know this, but what thread are your reading that i'm comparing anything to an OTR truck???? thanks for the usefull post. and the fricken mod call me a troll...
REAL trucks, as in Tractor trailers, yes. You don't have to be a rocket scientist to see that an engine displacing over 8.0 liters with a turbo the size of a VW bug will pull just about anything they want to.

And yes sir, you are coming off as a troll.

Originally Posted by IHI
I'm just stating even when they put this engine in trucks built to haul stuff, it lacks when the going gets tough. Did ya ever hear much crying about 460's not having enough grunt, nope.
The V10 puts down more power, more efficently than any F-series 460. There just isn't very many of them left to cry about thier whoes anymore.

Originally Posted by IHI
Now anybody that has ever towed ANYTHING at this weight level nows a V10, and i dont give a crap what gears, what program, what exhaust, whatever is not going to be the ideal choice...this is a big, long heavy load PERIOD. If any of you guys seriously believe the V10 even with your 4:30 gears is upto the task, your delerious!!!!!!!!
Deleriousness is the feeling you have after huffing diesel exhaust. The V10 can definetly pull that load, it may not be the ideal choice like you stated, but it could do it without problems.

Originally Posted by IHI
Call me troll, call me whatcha want, just dont forget to armorall the tires on your show and shiners while i go back to work hauling/towing daily.
You'll have to work even harder to keep that tank full doing the same job as the V10 could do for less $$$. Or maybe you could fill your tank with "armor all" as it will probably burn it.

Old 05-30-2008, 08:45 PM
IHI
Senior User
post #68/70 are exactly why forums can be a bad thing, guys too hard headed/closed minded to accept reality. oh well, like mentioned above, to each his own. Let Tundy buy a V10 to tow that load, then let Tundy try towing it with a diesel, he will see the day and night difference...otherwise everybody would spec the gasser if it was as good a heavy hauler as any diesel.

man, this forum is nutz...i've read some weird stuff, but never as much as i have in this place (V10 forum only) LOL!! I do like to come in here since the mentality of how great this gasser is is just unreal, and the simple fact of the matter, most of you guys spewing you garbage think hauling/towing a load is a 18' ski boat, or a car on an open car trailer...6-7K towing is nowhere even close, no where cloooose to pulling a 39' 15K load, so please for the sake of new guys trying to get information about how things are in real life, please dont give them the illusion there is'nt any difference, the difference is huge...it's not only dead weight your pulling, it's how it pulls the dead weight. When i pulled my car on my 20' open, sure it pulled fine, not great like i expected, but it pulled fine, that was 6-7K going down the road so i can see the show and shiner's thoughts on this, but i'm tellin ya, when the weight/size doubles..it's a completely different ballgame since aerodynamics becomes a HUUGE factor along with the weight...but i'm sure you read that to in some vacation spot magazine.

as for being banned, posts erased, so be it and i'm suprised it has'nt happened yet since guys that tell it like it is tend to get frowned upon by breaking the bubble most of you live in, even though Krewat does'nt act like a mod by jumping in and flapping gums like the rest of ya and forgetting his designated role he's supposed to play on this forum, i have to respect he knows he'd be a hypocrite if he did ban me, would that matter to him..prolly not since he'd be a god in all your eye's so you could spew your garbage when i'm gone, but at least he's a player.

Old 05-30-2008, 08:56 PM
IHI
Senior User
Heavy Metal, you seem to come off as having an open mind and good head on your shoulders, very refreshing in this area of the forum.

As for pulling the load, let's not forget i am pulling less load to my local track, flatter ground then i took to St. Louis...minus about 3k actually and my truck gets from zero to 20mph faster than the deisel did..feels peppier, but after that, it's like hitting a brick wall. When we got back into town that sunday from St Louis it was still locked and loaded at full weight minus the 40 gallons of fuel we took with us for the generator and the car, and my truck sturggled to get upto hwy speed, it would just hang in 3rd gear, revs through the roof 3-3500rpm range trying to work it's way upto speed....this same load the night before with the deisel, like i stated, it pulled the load just as good as my truck moves itself by itself.

Not trolling, not bashing, just the honest truth. I fail to see what you guy think i have to gain by trying to talk **** about this, I'm simply trying to let this guy know the answer to his question before all the show and shiners started trying to flip it and make me as the bad guy since i was showing the flip side....god forbid anybody ever gives the bad with the good, that's just wrong on here i guess.

Old 05-30-2008, 09:44 PM
10strokin
Senior User
Smile

i think some english lessons are the next mod you should make seriously. tundy, if you are still watching this thread and arent scared off by now, what do you honestly think? anyone on this forum show and shine their truck lately? fredvon? captchas? krewat? is it bad that i havent show and shined my truck lately?

Old 05-30-2008, 10:00 PM
IHI
Senior User
LOL, what's to be scared of? last i checked this was the internet, veiwable to anybody around the world and open to anybodies input once they register...am i missing something here??

I'd say to make an honest poll asking what these v10 guru's use the trucks for 90% of the time, but it's be tainted since obviously you and how many other's hae some imagine to live upto. I speak from experience, nothing more, nothing less...no need to skip facts since it does'nt do anybody that comes here looking for honest answers any good. If you dont like my real life experiences/views about what these V10's are like day to day being used for what i thought Ford intended them for, put me on your ignore list-done. If you want to hear life and V10's are the best thing ever, then stick around since that is the on going theme on here....kinda like other brand bashing i read on this forum, Ford forum or not, too much 2nd hand info being spewed and nothing first hand.

Apparently your the only one being bothered since you keep bring up dumb stuff, with your fast car and all...what that had to do with anything on here i have no idea, but i guess it made you feel better so it was worth it....now where's the rest of your back scratchers to get get behind ya.

Quick Reply: V-10's and towing