Hydrogen Generator to Help Fuel Economy

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 05:06 PM
dfmatt
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hydrogen Generator to Help Fuel Economy

I hope that this is still a interesting topic. I have just recently purchased the plans for a hydrogen generator that claims to increase your fuel economy, and works on 99.9% of all vehicles including diesels. It consists of a 10" CVPC tube with two inter stainless steel tubes, and stainless welding rods. Of course there is much more in this 114 page instruction book. Something popped out at me after reading though.

1. It states you need to change your valves to stainless steel.
2. Replace your exhaust system to stainless.
3. one gallon water tank needed: 16 recommended.
4. And a adapter is needed I guess this is a regulator: note read.

Since hundreds of various fuel‐flow systems exist, we recommend contacting a company experienced with gasoline engine fuel conversion systems. Describe your vehicles’ engine and the Water‐hybrid system, and ask for the company’s recommendations. In particular, inquire about the possibility of installing a Beam‐Garretson Adapter.

Does this hydrogen generator create that much water vapor as waste to corrode such components? and is this a good idea for a diesel engine?
Just wondering if anyone has succeeded in installing a hydrogen generator.

Old 06-22-2008, 04:24 PM
Gnome1
New User
Hydrogen Generator

I have pretty much the same questions as you and I too have the plans for the generator. I notice that the instructions are quite detailed but contain no photos. Also the Author advises using thread sealing compound on metal to CPVC threaded joints which is NOT recomended (Teflon tape won't deteriorate the CPVC) and he describes a dry home-made flashback arrestor which is never used with Hydrogen gas. Even though these two items make me leary, I'm proceeding with construction with the above mentioned modifications. I have my first basic generator running and it produces a good flame at about ten amps current. I tripped over your post looking for the Beam-Garretson Adaptor and hope you'll share your findings as will I.
I also plan on testing the apparatus on a 6.5Kw generator before I start to butcher the family car.
Good Luck and stay in touch.
John Smith
jrsmith@gnomish.org

Old 06-23-2008, 10:58 AM
Phydeaux88
Posting Guru
I do not wish to have a lengthy debate on the merits of hydrogen generation to increase fuel economy but I can say that thermodynamics do not seem to support it as a good solution. That is because everything I know indicates that there will be a negative energy gain.

While it is true that H2 infiltration will provide more power/energy, one must consider the amount of energy needed to produce the H2. If you use energy to extract fuel then burn the fuel to create energy and end up a net gain in energy you have created a perpetual motion machine, somthing science has been trying to create for centuries.

Old 06-23-2008, 11:10 AM
tradergem
Senior User
You guys may want to check out these two threads for more info on using hydrogen for increasing fuel milage. And by the way the idea is to use the hydrogen/oxygen gas to provide a hotter, faster flame in the cobustion chamber to burn the diesel fuel that normally is wasted as unburned fuel that gets pumped out the exhaust.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/7...on-thread.html
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/6...light=hydrogen

Jim

Old 06-23-2008, 11:46 AM
Phydeaux88
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by tradergem
by the way the idea is to use the hydrogen/oxygen gas to provide a hotter, faster flame in the cobustion chamber to burn the diesel fuel that normally is wasted as unburned fuel that gets pumped out the exhaust.Jim

That is the very idea behind propane injection.
Just remember that EGT (Exhaust Gas Temperature) is critical. If the addition of H2 pushes EGT over 1200 for any appreciable time you can seriously damage your engine.

Old 06-23-2008, 02:42 PM
tradergem
Senior User
Thumbs up

Phydeaux88,
Your quite right about the hydrogen/oxygen providing the same benefit as propane. The only reason people are trying to build HHO generators is that water is cheaper than propane or bottled hydrogen. The trick seems to be building a HHO generator that puts out enough HHO to significantly improve fuel economy in a safe maner and low cost.
Another problem has been controlling the operating temperature and amps of the generator. So far as I know, nobody on FTE has built a HHO generator that will produce enough HHO that will cause dangerously high EGTs. So far the people here on FTE that have been running HHO generators have actually experienced lower EGTs, most likely because the extra heat of the HHO and diesel is being used during the early part of the power stroke rather than just being pumped out on the exhaust stroke. But so far these HHO generators are only producing about 1-2 Liters per minute max ouput. I would like to build a HHO generator that will produce up to 10 Liters per minute, but I am having trouble figuring how to make it fit in my engine compartment.
Jim

Old 07-05-2008, 08:44 PM
dvildg
New User
If you do a search for milehighhydroxyguy posts, he built a system that delivers about 5L per minute. As with all the HHO generators, you can stack them for better production rate, I believe that milehigh is using two tanks for that rating and has impressive mileage gain...