Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hep me! 292 Cam question about oil galleries

Old 08-14-2002, 11:02 PM
youdog99
Senior User

Howdy all,

As mentioned in an earlier post, motor is at the machine shop. Mechanic noticed tha oil galleries to/in cams are different. One cam appears to have either a reducer or check valve while the other side doesn't.

Can anybody offer an opinion? I'll even take educated guesses.

Thanks,

Greg

Old 08-14-2002, 11:43 PM
IdahoEffie
New User

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 15-Aug-02 AT 00:46 AM (EST)]Check out ford-y-block.com/assemblyerrors.htm, John Mummert's Y-block web site. It has some info about the cam in the assembly errors page.

Old 08-18-2002, 07:17 PM
rogerf100
Elder User

RogerF100
'55 F100

It is not original to the engine. This was not part of the original design. I would have the machine shop remove it and return it to original. The info I have is from a booklet titled The Ford Mechanic, Ford Service Forum, Servicing 1954 Engines. This is a partial description from that booklet.

The description of the lubricating system says oil is forced thru the oil filter and then thru drilled passages in the block to the cam and crankshaft at full pressure, and under reduced pressure from the center cam journal to the rocker arms of each bank. The rocker arm shafts are drilled to meter oil to the rocker arms and push rods. On the right rocker arm shaft there is a front vent which sends oil to a drain in the cylinder head where it is lead down the front of the block to a trough that lets the oil drip on the timing chain and gears. On the left rocker arm shaft is a rear vent that sends oil to a similar drain in the cylinder head, down the tappet chamber wall to oil the distributor gear. Oil from the rear camshaft bearing oils the distributor shaft. Oil then returns to the pan to cool and be pumped again.

As you can see a restriction in the oil passage to the cam would starve the rocker arms and then everything down stream.

After the rebuild if you use a a good synthetic are synthetic blend oil, the engine should last a long time. Oil passages in these old engines tended to get clogged from infrequent oil changes causing sludge and varnish to build up. The oil used when these were new was partly to blame also. A PCV valve is a must to keep the oil clean even though it wasn't introduced until late in the production of the Y block engines.

I hope this helps.

:-staun

Old 08-19-2002, 08:42 AM
youdog99
Senior User

WOW!!

Thanks for both replies!!!

Thanks a ton!!

Greg