Fuel pump - 292

Old 08-19-2006, 12:50 AM
aussie1
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel pump - 292

G'day,
I need to find a new fuel pump for the 292 that I have in my '56 F100. I like the look of the glass bowl type but don't know if I can get one that will fit the 292. I would also like to find a copy of any Y-Block manuals that are available. Any help will be appreciated, thanks.

Old 08-19-2006, 03:50 PM
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
lots had the glass bowl.an fe will fit as well.

Old 08-19-2006, 07:02 PM
aussie1
Freshman User
Thanks for the reply. Do you know if glass bowl types are still available new or NOS? Will any FE fuel pump fit the 292? Any advice re. suppliers.

I need to be 100% before we get something shipped to us here in Australia. Thanks again.

Old 08-19-2006, 10:25 PM
Homespun91
More Turbo
First off, welcome to FTE!

Someone said a couple of months back that they found one with the bowl at Rock Auto.com, or at least it was pictured as such. It was an Airtex model. I haven't found the post yet, dunno why. He ended up finding an NOS Ford pump at a swap meet, or something, so he didn't actually order it. Rock Auto is a
strictly Internet supplier in the States. I've ordered from them, good prices & service. Not sure about their shipping policies to Oz, though. I believe they have a phone number for questions, but I don't know if they can actually walk back, open up the box, & look at the pump to verify the glass bowl.

Other sources would be Kanter Auto Parts or Egge Machine, both of which are vintage suppliers in the U.S. If a glass bowl pump is available, they would be likely to carry it. Also, Dennis Carpenter or Sacramento Vintage Ford (Effie parts dealers) might.

I'm kind of a darksider, so I have a (somewhat) performance Holley pump, which is a FE pump (though Holley lists it as fitting 272-428 c.i. engines, ignoring the fact that the SBFs, Clevos, & 370 BBFs fall in that range too ). I think all of those companies have web sites, but I'm too lazy to look them up right now.

So far as I know, all common FE pumps will fit most Ys from 239-312, except the weird early 239. Someone else might shed some light on this as I am by no means an expert on the 239.

They come up on eBay occasionally as well, but I'd bet that's an iffy proposition for you guys to get stuff from the States.

There are a couple of places here that can rebuild OE glass pumps- I recall that Kanter does it or can get it done- but that may not be practical for you either. There are also some rebuilders listed in Hemmings.

As far as Y-block manuals are concerned, there are two different factory manuals that are available. The first is the std. shop manual for your year & the second is the 1948-56 Ford Truck Parts Illustration book, which shows exploded line drawings of everything, including the engines. It is pricey, but very useful. One thing to keep in mind is that it lists group numbers, but not the whole part number. For example, it lists the same number for, say, a spindle, for several different models that are clearly different designs. To get the exact part number (which many of the vendors still use & organize stock by), you have to get the accompanying parts part number book, which is also expensive. I don't have that one. Most people get more use from the shop manual.

The other source is the Ford Y-Block 1954-62 book by James Eickman. It is out of print & therefore goes for $$$$ on eBay. However, Dennis Carpenter had it (& may still) recently for $18.95 or so. It has several errors but is about the best thing going.

Hope that helps.

Old 08-20-2006, 12:23 AM
Gerry 54
New User
Can't say for sure but I thought the glass bowl type were made illegal because the glass bown could break because of road debris... Gerry

Old 08-21-2006, 09:21 AM
aussie1
Freshman User
Thanks for the help guys, have tracked down some options & will let you know how I get on.

I just love the good old Y-block and even have a set of ram horn exhaust manifolds coming for 'er. They're an eBay job so fingers crossed.............

While I'm in the question asking mood. The 292 in this truck has a 2BBL carb (#C6DF B)and was wondering what your thoughts might be on that. Is it worth spending the $ on a 4BBL as I'd need another intake manifold for that as well. I just want reasonable performance with some fuel economy, I also like shiny things! I'm not much of a mechanic either.

Old 08-21-2006, 08:03 PM
286merc
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Let me know if you need anything shipped down there, I do it regularly. Aint cheap as you know but US Mail price is the same from anywhere in the USA.

Old 08-22-2006, 12:17 AM
Homespun91
More Turbo
In terms of intake manifolds/carbs, it depends on what you consider reasonable performance.

If you have a stock, or very mild, cam, & heads that are not ported/modded in any way, & the 2 bbl. is in good tune, I'd doubt that you would really notice much gain by switching to a 4 bbl. intake. Especially in a typical F-100, which are not very aerodynamic, & typically geared low. That's not to say NO gain, just not much. I guess it depends on availability of intakes down under. The shipping would hurt from the States, I'll bet. If the 2 bbl. is in good tune & properly jetted, it will do pretty well. However...a 4 bbl. just looks better.

The two best candidates for a swap is either the '57 intake or the Blue Thunder. The '57 intake generally runs $75-$150 on eBay, plus shipping. (I don't know if they made it Down Under originally; maybe it is still found in salvage yards there?? )

With what shipping might cost, it might be fairly close to the price of the Blue Thunder intake, which is similar in design (definitely not exact), but aluminum. I recall that someone in Australia is or was a BT dealer, maybe Kostecki's.

Old 08-23-2006, 05:16 AM
f700
Senior User

hi from canberra i no wear to get them if you need to no , flysher 03 94814543 he will c.o.d to you

Old 08-23-2006, 11:23 PM
aussie1
Freshman User
Thanks again for the help!!

Old 09-30-2006, 10:52 AM
aussie1
Freshman User
Just a quick update on my '56 F100 (292 engine). I got a fuel pump from Rock Auto and they were good to deal with, I found a '57 4BBL intake manifold here in OZ too. I'm think of bolting a 390CFM Holley onto the '57 intake, do you guys think that is a good idea(or not)

I also found a nice old '60 F500 "project" which is an Aussie RHD truck that has been sitting in a guys yard for a lot of years. I rebuilt the 2300 carb and away she went, it is running a 272. I will have to get a photo gallery up and going now. Cheers.

Old 10-01-2006, 12:32 AM
f700
Senior User
bagin s

H i from bungendore you did well on your shopping

Old 10-21-2006, 05:59 AM
f700
Senior User
fuel pump

i put a 600 4bl holley on my 292 i have a manual for 500-800 series if you need any info
email me

Old 10-31-2006, 05:24 AM
f700
Senior User
fuel pump

Hi my fuel pump stop working to so i just put a 7psi (red) holley electric fuel pump on today . I got a plate sent from flysher enterprises in (vic ) nices crome one to block the old hole up with . It feels better now ( so far ) The 600 feel alot stonger it revs harder, sound beeffer at a adle Im of to Queanbeyan to do a little job so ill see what it like , i hat to make ajustbull
brake push rod ( from the master cylinder to the pedel ) it just wor out after
43 years just use a rodend and turn up a shaft with fine thread , i can move my pedel height where i want now , so how are your toys going ?
getting very dry down here now need rain bad very bad

Old 10-31-2006, 07:53 AM
aussie1
Freshman User
The '56 is sweet, I have a new EZ wiring harness from the USA which looks great as well as lots of other shiny stuff that I'm adding.

The F500 is mobile, new clutch M/C & slave kit got it moving. I have to find a brake vacuum booster kit now as this one is had it. Any ideas?? The starter motor was sticking just a bit so I pulled it out and cleaned it and now it's good. It's amazing that someone would just leave an old truck out to rot away. This is a great old truck and will end up looking nice again too, just give me more time!!! Cheers.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fuel pump - 292