Lightning, Harley-Davidson F-150, Roush F-150 & Saleen F-150 SVT Ford F150 Lightning, Roush, Saleen and other performance F150's

fuel economy on new '03 HD(charged) f-150

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 11:21 AM
wjamesroper
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fuel economy on new '03 HD(charged) f-150

I am the proud new owner of a beautiful 03 HD(SC) F-150 with only 30k miles. I was wondering if anyone knew a really good economy tuner so i can drive this bad boy daily. My friend has a modded GT mustang that he can de-tune on the fly to about 90 HP to save gas through town, but when ready to run he can turn the tuner off and be back at his base HP of about 450.

any help on this would be great. if you wanna throw in some performance upgrade advice im open to it. I have never had a forced induction vehicle and im trying to figure out where to start!

Old 05-12-2008, 01:13 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
No trying to argue, just stating that your friend sounds like he's over-boasting. There isn't any such thing as detuning a 450 HP engine down to 90HP. Also unless he's added a supercharger or turbocharger his GT isn't running at 450HP.

Yes, you can make tuning changes to help save fuel but not dramatically. On a supercharged truck like the HD you'll actually gain power and mileage by leaning out the air/fuel ratio but you'd need to get it up on a dyno to make sure its not running too lean. There are other changes as well such as timing, but that's going to help both power and mileage as well. Its a whole different thing from naturally aspirated engines.

Check out troyerperformance.com - Mike can give you tune that will help power and mileage at the same time.

Old 05-13-2008, 09:14 AM
wjamesroper
New User
turns out that 450 number comes from a 125 shot of nos. He forgot to mention that part. But thank you for the help!

Old 04-11-2009, 08:56 PM
Harley2003
New User
Thumbs up Fuel economy and Harley F150 used in the same sentence?

I was shocked to see these words "Fuel economy" and "F150 SC Harley" used in the same sentence. LOL. It is one of those combos of words that just do not sound right together. Now "Chocolate and peanut butter" go well together, "Cheese and crackers" works, but mileage and power are not working for me at all. Just a thought I had to share with you all!

Cheers to all!