1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

F-350 brake issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2008, 05:32 PM
LiftTech
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
F-350 brake issue

I was driving down the road yesterday, and the truck just felt funny. Like I was fighting a strong headwind. After a few miles, I noticed the smell of hot brakes. Uh-oh. I pulled over, and sure enough all four drums were too hot to touch for more than a second or two. I let everything cool off, then drove the last 5 or so miles home. Braking performance didn't seem to be affected, but by the time I made it home the drums were hot again, though I didn't get the burning brakes smell again.

I'm thinking master cylinder. Where can I find the parts to rebuild mine, or are replacements available? Since I have to pull it off to fix it, it also seems like a great time to add power brakes. I don't want to have to change pedals or anything, just get a bit more stopping power. I've seen plenty of kits for F-100 and @50s, but no one seems to list anything for the F-350. Is there tht much difference in the 350 and 250 brakes?

Any advice or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Old 05-11-2008, 05:51 PM
52 F3
Elder User
For parts check with NAPA. I have found everything except spring kits for my 52 F3 there with no problem. May have to look in a paper catalog though. Not sure they are in the computer. A lot of the parts that fit the 56's are used on later trucks too.
Sorry no help on the power conversion but I'll bet someone here has done it and I doubt it much if any different than for a F100.

Old 05-11-2008, 06:02 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
The F-350 probably used a larger bore MC to supply the larger wheel cylinders. There might be something to replace your stock unit but it will have to bigger than the upgrade for the F-1 that is availlable.

Old 05-12-2008, 09:38 PM
LiftTech
Senior User
I was discussing the issue with a buddy at work tonight, and he mentioned that the rubber brake hoses might be restricting flow, due to age and just breaking down. I need to replace them anyway, so perhaps I'll do that before tearing down the master cylinder.

In any case, has anyone put power brakes on a truck larger than the F-250? I'm still looking for a conversion kit or even just a booster. I'm hoping to get all this sorted out by Friday night so I can leave for the Super Nationals on Saturday, but it isn't looking good.

Old 05-13-2008, 08:15 AM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
There is someone on the board with a F-2 or F-250 that updated his entire front brakes to disc using parts from a variety of parts from different trucks. I can't remember who it was but you can try to do a search, I'm sure it will show up because I did a search a while back and found the post.

Old 05-13-2008, 09:09 AM
55 f350
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
oily owl swapped late model f250 discs onto his bonus built . all the parts were like 74 or 79 and just needed a little persuasion to fit . if you do this i'd suggest finding a 67-72 3/4 ton for the dana 60 like i gave grover so your bolt pattern would be the same on both ends .

Old 05-13-2008, 10:47 AM
Nojive55
Senior User
Has anyone tried the power brake/master cylinder conversions listed on fleabay? 110252149556 and 220232601937 are examples.
I'd check to see if there were any differences in the stock ones between the F-100/F250/F350 first. Just eye-balling them I can't tell any difference between the F-100 and my F-350 but have not had them side by side either.
I too am contemplating a brake overhaul. I definitely need to rebuild at least the drivers side front. Once the system is tight, I'll find out what the next weakest point it. I wanted to get the stock set up functioning correctly before I introduced any variables.
Regarding any other parts like the wheel cylinders, I figured I'd just take the old parts off and go to the store to be sure the new ones matched.
Expect more posting from me when I get this started, both for advice and maybe some findings.

Old 05-15-2008, 09:45 PM
LiftTech
Senior User
Well, I almost got it done. I picked up my new master cylinder on the way home from work, got it installed, and started the process of bleeding the brakes.

The 'fluid' coming out into my vacuum bleeder looked kind of like slushy mud. I planned on just flushing it until clean stuff came out. Unfortunately, I didn't get that far. About half way through bleeding the right rear wheel (the first one), the fluid just stopped coming out. I'd just filled the master cylinder, so I knew that wasn't it.

My theory is the muddy gunk that was coming out had built up into solid bits in the brake lines, and one of the pieces of debris is now clogging a line, or the wheel cylinder. I'm going to start tearing apart wheel cylinders and lines tomorrow; I'm going to have to scrub all that stuff out or replace the lines.

Old 05-16-2008, 08:35 PM
LiftTech
Senior User
The saga continues. I called Oreilly's around 11:00 AM today, and by the time I got there at 5:30 they had four wheel cylinders and three brake hoses waiting for me.

Unfortunately, I started on the rear axle. On the F-350, with a full float rear axle, you have to remove the axle shaft and hub to get the drum off. In order to remove the hub, you need a 2 9/16, 8 sided socket. I got the two axle nuts off with the punch and hammer, but I have to get the socket so I can properly torque them to reinstall everything. It looks like it's going to be Tuesday before any of the local parts or tool places can have one for me.

There's a 'local' car show about 15 miles from my house, if I get bored enough I may just have to drive my old tractor up there for a while tomorrow.