Texas Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: LibTimothy

In search of Boost Pressure

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 10:54 PM
lakerats
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy In search of Boost Pressure

Anyone know where I can get hold of a used (but tight) intercooler for my 7.3 Powerstroke? No joy on eBay.

Randy and I did a pressure test on mine today and found a significant leak in one or more of the tubes.

I's rather not spend the $$$ for a new one if I can avoid it.

Thanks in advance.

Old 05-09-2008, 11:50 PM
A. Michael Foxtrot
Elder User
a 6.0 intercooler will also fit. Though I'm not sure how much modifying it takes to make it fit properly. Something to consider if you can get your hands on one fairly cheap.

Old 05-10-2008, 09:38 AM
lakerats
Senior User
Thanks. I did a little looking around last night and found a 7.3 OEM-type for around $350 from some place called "Diesel Intercoolers". Don't know anything about them, though.

I checked eBay - nothing. Got the go ahead from the boss to upgrade with a new one so I guess I'll be shopping around today unless I can come up with a used 6.0 somewhere - Thanks again.

Clif

Originally Posted by A. Michael Foxtrot
a 6.0 intercooler will also fit. Though I'm not sure how much modifying it takes to make it fit properly. Something to consider if you can get your hands on one fairly cheap.

Old 05-10-2008, 08:06 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Have you taken it apart to see where the leak is? I've seen a few pics of holes at a bend under the foil on the drivers side. You also need to make sure the boots are in good condition. A good welding shop should be able to fix any holes in the tube, or some epoxy should work in a pinch.

Old 05-18-2008, 03:38 AM
RubberDuck
Logistics Pro

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Clif, did you find a cooler?

Old 05-21-2008, 09:44 PM
lakerats
Senior User
Yeppir - I did. Diesel Performance Products out of Washington State - Brian Howell. A new Ford 6.0 liter for $369 with the correct boots.

Gonna be a busy day on Friday - cooler install & testing, new AFE Stage 2 w/Proguard 7 filter install, oil change, tranny oil & filter, both fuel filters and whatever else we have have time for.

You guys won't believe it but Randy has managed to get this old '99 above the 20 mpg mark!!! Last fillup registered at 21.74368 miles per gallon!! Now......that means that I've kept the foot out of the firewall (tough to do). With all of the mods we've made - the efficiency keeps going up! At the same time, the rear-end torque seems to be increasing as well!

I can't wait to finish the corrective work and get on the dyno to see what this "stock" truck can do! Chip? Flash? No way! - PURE STOCK!! Maybe I'll take it to the track one day in ET class to see what the numbers are!

More to come, I'm sure!

Don't forget to check out Randy's website at Home of RSB Diesel - Spicewood, TX